Maybe an A for effort :p.  Seriously though, the graphics of Eternity are very solid for the budget and look great.  They serve their purpose admirably and it is not an ugly game by any stretch.  But Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, Call of Duty: Whatever the name of this years entry is, Fallout 4, those are "triple A" budget games and they objectively and literally have far more complex, detailed, and depending on your mind set beautiful graphics than Eternity.

"Objectively and literally"?  Disagreed!  Maybe subjectively.  To my eyes, PoE is a more beautiful game than any of those you mention.  Some are "impressive" in terms of having a lot of post-processing shaders and so forth, but fancy shaders do not artistic beauty make.

"Solid" seriously undersells the PoE art, IMHO.  I struggle to think of another game I've found as beautiful to behold.  I recall walking through some of the PoE areas such as

Cliaban Rilag

in my first play through and thinking, "That is the most gorgeous CRPG dungeon I've ever seen."  And I've been playing CRPGs since this one was brand new, so I've seen a few.

• Like 2

Here's a topic for all of us to declare our vote for Pillars of Eternity game of the year 2015

Fallout 4... sorry I'm a RPG nut and that game took no risks whatsoever. Almost none of the features in that game are based in good RPG story telling or mechanics. good game maybe great not so much

I've played practically every RPG made in 2015 and Pillars has my vote for game of the year.

good work guys.

The bethesda hate is funny.

They have taken RPGs to a whole new level. Outselling the absolute top action games that exist. A feat that is beyond amazing.

Is there alot of flaws in Fallout 4? Yep. But so have there been in every last great rpg ever.

I am very impresed and entertained by bethesdas work and i can only hope obsidian gets do do another Fallout.

• Like 2

I am very impresed and entertained by bethesdas work and i can only hope obsidian gets do do another Fallout.

A few years ago I would have said yes, but now it would just mean it's time taken away from Pillars development.

Also Bethesda is mad at Obsidian because of how much better they did at creating a Fallout game. Todd Howard wouldn't come out of his room for weeks because of how depressed he was. He could be heard crying out, "How do they do words so good!?"

In turn, to improve Todd's mood, Bethesda had to spend Obsidian's promised bonus on paying reviewers to keep the scores below 85. Understandable that they just don't want to go through that nightmare again.

Disclaimer: Despite talking ****, I actually liked Oblivion. I think it was the setting. That first cave is good too, where you step out of that dungeon, and bam.. staring you right in the face, an adventure! That's good game design. Then it just snowballs from there, and 20 hours, 30 dungeons, 10 quests, and half a continent later, you're like... what was I doing again?

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 3

A few years ago I would have said yes, but now it would just mean it's time taken away from Pillars development.

The problem with Obsidian potentially working on another Fallout many people seem to not realize is that the most noteworthy of the employees who are still in the company have moved on to the Pillars team (Sawyer, Fenstermaker, etc.) If they do work on another Fallout game, that leaves two possibilities:

a) Give Fallout to less experienced people while Sawyer and his team work on Pillars 2, or b) the opposite. My opinion: I'm extremely opposed to B, since I personally prefer the Pillars universe over Fallout's and I want the same team to devote their attention to the sequel. On the other hand, I wouldn't be against A. Obsidian has always been about finding new talented people to work on their games (heck, they already proved that with Ziets and Gonzalez), and Fallout is a franchise that typically never has the same team working on multiple games (with the possible exception of 3 and 4, I haven't payed much attention to them so I wouldn't know.)

Also Bethesda is mad at Obsidian because of how much better they did at creating a Fallout game. Todd Howard wouldn't come out of his room for weeks because of how depressed he was. He could be heard crying out, "How do they do words so good!?"

Seems legit   :wowey:

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

"They have taken RPGs to a whole new level. Outselling the absolute top action games that exist. A feat that is beyond amazing."

I fully agree. Pity it's a level inhabited by boring, un-fun games that aren't good RPGs and aren't good action games either. 

• Like 5

Disagree. Bethesda games are good fun action-rpg's.

EDIT: I also like Obsidian games and Bioware games, and Larian games, and Beamdog re-releases, and Harebrained Schemes games, and InXile games. These games all have things I really like about them and things I don't like so much but I'm glad they all exist.

Edited by MonkeyLungs
  • Like 1

BTW, for any fans of the original Fallouts, you might enjoy Wasteland 2 by inXile.  It's in the spiritual chain of: Wasteland 1 -> Fallout 1&2 -> Wasteland 2 (even though there are different companies in the mix there, a lot of folks consider that the chain of succession).  Overall I wouldn't rate it quite in PoE's calibre of CRPG, but it's still a good solid fun game, and I enjoyed playing through it.  It has a nice post-apocalyptic vibe to it similar to the older Wasteland's.  Decent squad level tactical combat.

Maybe an A for effort tongue.png.  Seriously though, the graphics of Eternity are very solid for the budget and look great.  They serve their purpose admirably and it is not an ugly game by any stretch.  But Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, Call of Duty: Whatever the name of this years entry is, Fallout 4, those are "triple A" budget games and they objectively and literally have far more complex, detailed, and depending on your mind set beautiful graphics than Eternity.

Yeah, but what more would one desire from an isometric RPG in terms of graphics? wink.png

In keeping with this, it is important to note that graphical quality isn't nearly so important as aesthetic quality. PoE doesn't have technically advanced graphics, but it does have a consistent aesthetic that works for it.

Fallout 4 is a fun shooter/exploration game, sucks as an RPG though. It's like they didn't learn anything from New Vegas.

They mostly learned from Skyrim, by all accounts. And also by observation, since Fallout 4 is Skyrim.

They have taken RPGs to a whole new level. Outselling the absolute top action games that exist. A feat that is beyond amazing.

They've taken them to a whole new level of being same-y graphics expos with lots to do but no reason to do any of it. But of course, sales = quality, right?

Disclaimer: Despite talking ****, I actually liked Oblivion. I think it was the setting. That first cave is good too, where you step out of that dungeon, and bam.. staring you right in the face, an adventure! That's good game design. Then it just snowballs from there, and 20 hours, 30 dungeons, 10 quests, and half a continent later, you're like... what was I doing again?

It's telling that there are popular mods for the Elder Scrolls games which remove the plot and randomize your point of origin.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Game of the year?? Pillars is the Game of the Decade for me!  :wub:

I don't even understand how any RPG fan could say otherwise, and honestly I couldn't care less about convincing others (especially some so-called "experts" or obtuse "purists") about how good and fun Pillars can actually be.

I really can't wait to play PoE2, especially if it's going to be on the same level of the White March expansions. I haven't been this excited about a videogame series in ages, after the murder of the once-great Heroes of Might and Magic saga (thanks Ubi).

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

It might have escaped your notice, but Bethesda games are action games just as much, and possibly more, as they are RPGs.

It might have escaped your notice, but Bethesda games are action games just as much, and possibly more, as they are RPGs.

Naw, but see, the combat in an action game is typically good.

I don't even understand how any RPG fan could say otherwise,

Persona, yo.

Edited by gkathellar

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Naw, but see, the combat in an action game is typically good.

So they don't get either genre right, tragic, but what can you do? :p

To be honest, I decided to stop thinking of Bethesda games as RPGs or aRPGs and just think of them as experiences. Approached without genre expectations, they're enjoyable enough. Millions of people can attest to that. As a self-appointed TES junkie, I should know why so many love them so. They've ridden their one greatest strength - the freedom to wander and engage with a detailed world in a non-linear fashion - for twenty years and it still works wonders. I don't think they ever really strive to be great in any specific genre - they're just a video game version of running around in your parents' backyard with a stick for a gun and making up stories in your head. There is a kind of beauty in that. But strip that feeling away and what remains... Well, you don't need me to tell you. So I don't necessarily think they have much to offer other RPG developers aside from that core open world experience which everyone already picked up on. Their way just doesn't mesh with a tighter main storyline, which is what most other RPGs (including PoE) tend to care about. That's why I would never say that they take the genre to the next level or anything similar.

Disclaimer: I have no observations beyond Skyrim. I didn't play Fallout 4 and have no intention to.

Edited by Rosveen

BTW, for any fans of the original Fallouts, you might enjoy Wasteland 2 by inXile.  It's in the spiritual chain of: Wasteland 1 -> Fallout 1&2 -> Wasteland 2 (even though there are different companies in the mix there, a lot of folks consider that the chain of succession).  Overall I wouldn't rate it quite in PoE's calibre of CRPG, but it's still a good solid fun game, and I enjoyed playing through it.  It has a nice post-apocalyptic vibe to it similar to the older Wasteland's.  Decent squad level tactical combat.

I kind of see wasteland 2 as an example of how not to do it, it's pretty much just like fallout 1&2, so all the good bits but also all the flaws. Like they went, "hey Fallout was great, let's make a game just like it". Whereas Obsidian went "hey Balbur's gate was great, let's see if we can do it again but better".

Edited by falchen

I didn't find Wasteland 2 to be very much like Fallout 1 or 2 at all. Save for the post apoc setting. Fallout 1 and 2 allow one to create a character who is then joined by companions and offers plenty of role playing opportunities. Wasteland 2 was much more of a shoot people in the face game where you create an entire squad, like post apoc x-com.

Guys this was supposed to be a thread about how much you liked Eternity, not how much you don't like bethesda.  Get over it please, it has corrupted enough of this forums topics.

I didn't play enough new games last year to be able to call it a goty (and I have a hunch it'd lose out to MGS5 or Witcher 3) but it's a fantastic game for sure and enchanted me all the way through, White March even more so.

For my personal take I would rate certain aspects of Witcher 3 better and certain aspects of Pillars better but I'd give the edge to Witcher 3 for sheer emotional impact and overall technical prowess. However, Obsidian doesn't have a team that size and what they did with a small team and small budget is exceptional. It also scratches a different itch for me and in some ways is more satisfying. I like to create my OWN character, and even though playing Geralt is pretty cool, it's still playing Geralt.

As for MGS5 I find Pillars to be a much better game but I'm more of an RPG guy. I finished MGS5 once and made sure I played every mission just to get the full experience but I sold it immediately afterwards and honestly felt it dropped off in the second half. Comparatively I found Pillars to really crescendo towards the end and just a little ways into chapter 3 I was finding it difficult to do side quests. Not because they were bad by any means but because I HAD to confront Thaos. The finale to Pillars was very satisfying for me and I am a sucker for them ending slides and Pillars did not let me down there. Immediately finished another run and I am currently working on my 5th attempt at Trial of Iron.

Edited by MonkeyLungs

Guys this was supposed to be a thread about how much you liked Eternity, not how much you don't like bethesda. Get over it please, it has corrupted enough of this forums topics.

I like it a lot. I didn't touch it at all between my first playthrough in 1.0 and White March, but now I'm back and I love it. I'm probably going to replay it a few more times. I didn't play enough games last year to decide if PoE was the best, but it's easily one of the most enjoyable of those I did play. It's still flawed and not quite there, but I have high hopes for the sequel. I only wish it had been properly balanced long ago - I don't understand why we still have major patches or fundamentally broken classes (paladin) a year after release. This isn't an MMO, ffs, fix it already and be done with it.

Better now? :)

Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 1

I really liked PoE (i hope it gets many GOTY awards) but nothing, and i mean nothing, in entertainment is as good as Fallout.

The very thought of a new Fallout from obsidian that now has Tim Cain....oh id take it over 1000 new POE games.

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

I'm not a fan of postapocalypse. I enjoyed most of the Fallout games despite, not because of the setting. I wouldn't say no to another New Vegas, but if I had to choose between this and a new Pillars game, I'd pick the latter in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of postapocalypse. I enjoyed most of the Fallout games despite, not because of the setting. I wouldn't say no to another New Vegas, but if I had to choose between this and a new Pillars game, I'd pick the latter in a heartbeat.

I am a fan of post apoc settings but I still would much rather see further games set in Eora. I also really like how Obsidian is doing their own IP right now. This is kind of what I have been waiting for them to do for a long time and I doubt I'm alone in this sentiment.

My hope for a sequel is that they unshackle themselves from the Infinity engine. They made the IE game they said they were going to make, now let's go somewhere weird and do different things with the gameplay.

While not a bad idea I think the right move would be to do that with a new franchise.  Once you have made a game in a series to completely upend it's gameplay and mechanics on the next release is not something most would call a good idea.  Some games have done it, like Fallout, but you are talking years between releases.  Also the (gasp) Final Fantasy games have done it as well but it was gradual slight changes that built up over 10+ releases.

For Eternity I wouldn't mind refinements, just don't rock the boat too much.