Here's a topic for all of us to declare our vote for Pillars of Eternity game of the year 2015 

Fallout 4... sorry I'm a RPG nut and that game took no risks whatsoever. Almost none of the features in that game are based in good RPG story telling or mechanics. good game maybe great not so much

I've played practically every RPG made in 2015 and Pillars has my vote for game of the year. 

good work guys. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you're talking about some site's vote or an ad-hoc thing in this thread, but yeah, it's certainly the best game of 2015 in my view.  As well as, uhh... many of the prior years as well, come to think of it :p.

I'm playing through WM1 now, and it's a real joy to have more of this world to explore, more companions to meet, more music to enjoy, etc...  I'm not sure how well WM sold: somehow I have the feeling it wasn't very well known in the general gaming community compared to the base game.  I learned about it only because I got the Kickstarter email and was generally paying attention after PoE was so good.  I sure hope it sells well though, because I want producing more sequels, and expansions to sequels, and sequels to sequels, and prequels to sequels to prequels, to be a viable business model.  It's always tricky when you don't have a big marketing budget to work with.  There's a core group of RPG lovers who'll go out of their way to find your stuff, but your average gamer isn't too aware of things that don't have huge marketing muscle behind them.

I hope they make at least one more good one and then we'll see. I have bad memories of Might and Magic IX. Better to have 3 great games than to have 12 bad ones. Of course, I'll agree with you, Ignatius, best to have 12 great games!

• Like 1

bother?

Okay, I'll be the vote of dissension. While I thought Obs did a good job on PoE and it shows a lot of potential for future installments, I wouldn't give it GOTY. It didn't 'wow' me like I was hoping it would. In fact, I haven't played through either WM1 or WM2 yet (even though I got them as backer rewards) and I have a bit of an issue finding enough motivation to fire up the game to go through it again even with new content and all the changes that have come since I finished it (I believe it was patch 1.06 that I finished on).

• Like 1

Okay, I'll be the vote of dissension. While I thought Obs did a good job on PoE and it shows a lot of potential for future installments, I wouldn't give it GOTY. It didn't 'wow' me like I was hoping it would. In fact, I haven't played through either WM1 or WM2 yet (even though I got them as backer rewards) and I have a bit of an issue finding enough motivation to fire up the game to go through it again even with new content and all the changes that have come since I finished it (I believe it was patch 1.06 that I finished on).

QFT. I'm back on the boards partly to motivate myself to do another playthrough. I almost tried after WM1, but then I saw Twin Shot and became despondent.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I would have given it GOTY, but then Undertale came out...

I still love PoE dearly, though. It's not even my most favorite game of Obisidan (Kotor 2 takes the crown), but I'm very excited for this franchise. I got from PoE the fantasy experience I wanted and it makes me happy to know that this is only the start of a long, wonderful journey. 

Haven't played many games lately, however Pillars of Eternity is - for now,I'm on my first playthrough - a really great RPG and gets my vote for GOTY. 

I'll see if it makes my top 3 - for now it's BG2, Morrowind and Diablo, in no particular order.

to each their own. This post was to sound of if you think it's game of the year. 

not that i'd ever tell people how to post but lets assume I mean it's the CRPG of the year.

I realize the game is not everyone's cup of tea. For me personally its sucha great game because I complained to friends for 15 years that there hasnt been a truly great DnD style CRPG since baldurs gate. 
I am a huge fallout fan. 
I play 1 and 2 at least once every 2 years sometimes twice in a year. 
still as great as Fallout 4 is I'd give Pillars GAME OF THE YEAR hands down. Fallout 4 is console fodder ...shoot everyone and find a note on their body RPG. The dialogue is such that total morons can follow it while drunk and smoking weed "aw **** G that dude says he needs me to kill those bandits because they is bandits... should I say. yes no maybe or some slightly funny phrase" . Pillars is better
Dark Souls is good too but Pillars is better.
Shadowrun was great but pillars is better.

I am on my 3rd run in pillars. 

When I saw people complaining on this board it totally blew my mind. I guess when you get backed the way pillars was each individual person expects the game to be exactly what they had in mind for it. 
we payed them to make a game they wanted 
I would say the Pillars of Eternity is the best written game since Planescape: Torment

I am awarding them my Peter Jex Game of the Year award. 

I really hope the game was a success. I backed it with my entire bank account (44 bucks) I wanna say it was 3 years ago but I dont remember. I am much better off now and would fund another game with much more. POE 2!  POE 2!  POE 2! 

• Like 1

Here's a topic for all of us to declare our vote for Pillars of Eternity game of the year 2015 

Fallout 4... sorry I'm a RPG nut and that game took no risks whatsoever. Almost none of the features in that game are based in good RPG story telling or mechanics. good game maybe great not so much

I've played practically every RPG made in 2015 and Pillars has my vote for game of the year. 

good work guys.

Did you play Age of Decadence, Serpent in the Staglands and Underrail?

Because if you didn't, you didn't play the best RPGs in 2015.

good work guys.

I played halfway through AoD but stopped when I realized I wasn't going to see any female characters. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that though since it was developed by a Codex staff member.

On topic, PoE was my GOTY too. It's an amazing game in my opinion.

• Like 2

Guest FlorianGh

POE is great because it has sounds and graphics like an triple A game, but from a rather small budget point of view Underrail and AOD are superior games. Plus AOD has the most reactivity in any recent games. But Pillars is the only one I finishes and not just once so that says a lot. 

Edited by FlorianGh

AOD isn't even a good game.  I can see why some people like it, but most people who play video games, even RPG's, would not enjoy it very much at all.  I tried to play it, found out it kinda sucks and isn't particularly fun to play or heavy on interesting story.  It is a game made by die hard CRPG's should be hard and not much else fans for other die hard CRPG's should be hard and not much else fans.  If you aren't one of them there is nothing to see.

POE is great because it has sounds and graphics like an triple A game.

No, it really doesn't.

Underrail I haven't played yet but it at least looks like it has some potential.  Staglands I have heard a lot of mixed bag about.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

I enjoyed Serpent in the Staglands.  The combat system becomes broken when you can get attack speed down to 0.01 and such, but it's a solid game in my opinion.

Age of Decadence is all kinds of awful.  Just terrible, terrible design.  It makes me want to vomit when I think about it.

• Like 2

No, it really doesn't.
A double a game then? A single a? Honestly, the game was good enough for an a to be involved here :). Edited by gogocactus
  • Like 1

I played halfway through AoD but stopped when I realized I wasn't going to see any female characters. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that though since it was developed by a Codex staff member.

On topic, PoE was my GOTY too. It's an amazing game in my opinion.

There are female characters, from very early on too. 

Anyway, wouldn't real Codexers have objectified sex toy women all over the place? Wait, no, that's just mainstream gaming...

• Like 2

good work guys.

i havent played AOE but the other 2 ...... u honestly think Serpent in the staglands is better? since when did not having a god damn game journal count as progress or 'good'. 

Underrail... for game of the year.... yeah... nope. both great games and they may have won game of the year in 1996 

I think Pillars is better. to each their own. 

• Like 3

No, it really doesn't.
A double a game then? A single a? Honestly, the game was good enough for an a to be involved here :).

Maybe an A for effort :p.  Seriously though, the graphics of Eternity are very solid for the budget and look great.  They serve their purpose admirably and it is not an ugly game by any stretch.  But Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, Call of Duty: Whatever the name of this years entry is, Fallout 4, those are "triple A" budget games and they objectively and literally have far more complex, detailed, and depending on your mind set beautiful graphics than Eternity.

• Like 1

Maybe an A for effort :p.  Seriously though, the graphics of Eternity are very solid for the budget and look great.  They serve their purpose admirably and it is not an ugly game by any stretch.  But Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, Call of Duty: Whatever the name of this years entry is, Fallout 4, those are "triple A" budget games and they objectively and literally have far more complex, detailed, and depending on your mind set beautiful graphics than Eternity.

Yeah, but what more would one desire from an isometric RPG in terms of graphics? ;)

• Like 4

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I think PoE is a fantastic rpg, and worthy to Game of the Year for me. It's the rpg I just keep coming back to, I've played most others released in the last year and at some point they don't scratch the rpg itch like PoE. I guess it just hits all the right spots for me. The updates and DLC have been solid, combat is at sweet spot, I really like the art style and rpg mechanics, the stronghold is much improved with 3.0. I'd like to think that Obsidian start PoE2 straight away because I'd be really interested to see how this game grows and the places they take it.  

• Like 1

Your fun is wrong.

Fallout 4 is a fun shooter/exploration game, sucks as an RPG though. It's like they didn't learn anything from New Vegas.

Pillars is great and I'm a big fan of this kind of game, not sure I could vote for it over Witcher 3 though.

• Like 1

Yeah, but what more would one desire from an isometric RPG in terms of graphics? ;)

I LOVE the graphics of Pillars! The beautiful hand painted environments, the character designs, and the fantastic weapon and armor design.

And as an added bonus it runs pretty great even on old rigs, which is a plus for me.

It is definitely in my top five group for game of the year 2015.