Fun Ability Synergy: Sacred immolation and Aegis of Loyalty

I was going through the Endless Paths today when I noticed a cool ability synergy. The flame attacks of Sacred Immolation trigger the end domination effect of Aegis of Loyalty. So with this set up Sacred Immolation hurts enemies, heals allies, and prevents long term charms of your party. Wasn't sure if others realized this as well so I thought I'd share. :)

• Like 10

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

So groovy it's almost Gruyere.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ you mean to say you actually run parties with no Priest?

Mind = blown

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ It's a psychical trauma from low-level.

I know now that priests are good. But I wasn't fond of my lvl 4 Durance and Aloth constantly dying from Ogre Druids, when I was just learning the game.

So... here I am, running a [cipher + Sagani] ranged dps + [Pallegina + GM] ranged sup-dps + [Eder + Kana] tanks.

I've decided to revise my party composition once I'll arrive to an un-passable enemy/situation. And, was expecting the Adra Dragon to be one of those choke points. But nope... party did fine at lvl 11. (Double Puppet Master on adragans + double Disintegration on dragon is OP)

Edited by MaxQuest

Lies. Heresy. Sparta!

• Like 1

Together with the Paladin's great saves and, if needed, Righteous Soul, this would seem to result in a party almost immune from charm attacks.

I really hope this doesn't get nerfed since it seems to be working as intended.

Yeah, I'd say it's a pretty nice but not exactly OP. It still damages the paladin and your charmed party members. But yeah, I do hope they don't change it as it's a fun and thematic build to have.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Yeah, I like it. Charming is one of the (many, to me) bleh tactics in the game, and this pretty much shuts it down for as long as the Flames last. Which, I think is plenty long for any of the charm based fights I can think of. I also just take both Will save talents and wear a +15 Charm defense item on the Pld to make sure it works.

Priests are pretty amazing, of course, but it's really just casters who are amazing. I'd say frequently going through the game with none of the casters would be surprising, but if taking along druids and Wizzy's but no Priests, it's just fine. Priest do OP things to your team, the others do it the enemy.

On that note, Sig is funny illathid. I guess Wizards don't -need- to be That Dude, but certainly doesn't mean they weren't going to make him that Dude anyways, heh.

Lies. Heresy. Sparta!

we actual feel like we are gimping our self when we don't have at least two priests.  with one priest, the single cleric is constant buffing or debuffing, but with two priests our party typical becomes functional immune to whatever is our current foe's most devastating attack, and we achieve excessive party accuracy... after which we wade into combat with a melee weapon or simple spam overkill burn spells.  am thinking most folks don't realize how effective is priests from an offensive pov 'cause they is constant buffing.

and battles with 90% o' vessels becomes silly simple. painful interdiction + holy radiance remove any fear o' a zombie apocalypse. world war z is a 5-minute movie.

HA! Good Fun!

ps nice find on the synergy.  next time we go w/o a priest, we will definitely use.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

ps nice find on the synergy. next time we go w/o a priest, we will definitely use.

Yeah, priests are optimal but I find the micro to be tedious myself.

-Josh Sawyer

ps nice find on the synergy. next time we go w/o a priest, we will definitely use.

Yeah, priests are optimal but I find the micro to be tedious myself.

yeah, obsidian did a nice job o' providing three very different support classes.  paladins, as 'posed to priests, were intended to be durable and low-maintenance.  'course since the beta, paladins has assumed more roles.  can play paladins as very respectable tanks or strikers in addition to being support.

am also admitting that am getting fatigued micromanaging our current caster-heavy party.  pause and cast. pause and cast.  *groan* still, am addicted to our priests.  am not sure we can give up on priests entirely.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Should make a certain boss fight easier.

Aegis of Loyalty all by itself is VERY useful in that fight.  My Rogue PC got charmed a couple of times in that fight, and Pallegina uncharmed him within moments. 

Aegis of Loyalty is an outstandingly useful ability that I should have taken earlier than I did.

Does the Immolation self damages also dispell charm on paladin ?

Doesn't that self damage only activate once at the start of the ability? If so presumably this would require a Paladin to activate it whilst charmed for this to work so it wouldn't be reliable (especially since you're likely to have used your one use per encounter before they get charmed). To be honest though, a Paladin's high saves and, if needed, Righteous Soul.

No, you damage yourself on every pulse.

What I was wondering: There are some items now that provide some forms of offensive auras. Like the Excecutioner's Hood that frightens or that pollaxe that lowers concentration via "Zephyr" aura. Could it be that those auras (which also produce hit rolls) also turn around your charmed teammate with Aegis of Loyality? That would be pretty nice!

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Redfield shield has that kind of aura too. Would be pretty groovy!