To those who say Wizard tank is not very much RP

I was on that bridge in Lord of the Rings Online, after it broke off. Funny atmosphere. Don't feel too sorry for Gandalf when he fell. That chasm in Moria is so deep they were doing a 1v1 duel all the way down. Up until the Balrog died, I think.

What do you call a wizard tank that is floating down into the core of the world and has to fight a Balrog in mid air? That's like Dragon Ball Z there.

Gandalf didn't have enough time to self buff on the bridge. Bet he did when he was falling though. That Balrog missed, he should have gotten the ring bearer.

Edited by Ymarsakar

And then when party is outside and crying they are like "I told you guys we should have used that camping supply for our mage, look what you've done, now he's ****ing dead!".

But seriously, I enjoy wizard tank A LOT! going in like a boss at lvl 3 Potd readric main entrance and living to tell about it. Oooh. I feel like my composition is totally OP. Wizard Tank moon god, 2 chanters wild orlan, priest buffer, cipher and rogue. So ****ing powerful. I was tempted to mix in druid in place of 1 chanter but I feel like creating more distraction with summons and extra offtank gonna make my rogue shine a bit more. 

Edited by Phyriel

Do people say that? Why?

What do you call a wizard tank that is floating down into the core of the world and has to fight a Balrog in mid air? That's like Dragon Ball Z there.

Yeah, because Gandalf isn't a 5th-level magic user - he and the other wizards are maiar, immortal spirits that wear power the way you and I wear skin. They're in the same class of being as the Balrog, or Sauron.

The whole squishy D&D wizard is a squishy D&D invention. LotR wizards don't bother with anything heavier than robes because they are already stronger than steel.

That Balrog missed, he should have gotten the ring bearer.

The Balrog wouldn't have cared much - he was just doing his thing trying to kill everyone. That all with the ring is Sauron's business. Balrogs answer to their own boss, and he answers directly to Morgoth.

• Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

The whole squishy D&D wizard is a squishy D&D invention. LotR wizards don't bother with anything heavier than robes because they are already stronger than steel.

Truly? I was under the impression that the LoTR wizards, despite being celestial spirits, were still limited to the nature of their humanlike bodies and capable of dying to regular wounds.

That is why they need to self-buff ;).

And then, cipher casts mindweb.

And then, everybody is wizard tank?

How else do you think they defeated the armies of Sauron against all odds?  Aragorn is actually a cipher spamming defensive web the whole time.  He is obviously not a real ranger, I mean really, where is his animal companion??

The only time things went wrong is after Gandalf left... poor Boromir.

Edited by Braven

Gandalf, Sauron and Balrog belong to the same race.

They are basically angels (or fallen ones).

So they are god-likes?  Makes sense.  Balrog must be a fire-godlike.  Sauron is probably a death-godlike.

Edited by Braven

How else do you think they defeated the armies of Sauron against all odds? Aragorn is actually a cipher spamming defensive web the whole time. He is obviously not a real ranger, I mean really, where is his animal companion??

I thought he was a paladin...

What about Legolas as the cipher? There is no such a thing as a non-magical elf in Middle-Earth.

Ok, there may be, but still, someone has to be their cipher!

How else do you think they defeated the armies of Sauron against all odds? Aragorn is actually a cipher spamming defensive web the whole time. He is obviously not a real ranger, I mean really, where is his animal companion??

I thought he was a paladin...

What about Legolas as the cipher? There is no such a thing as a non-magical elf in Middle-Earth.

Ok, there may be, but still, someone has to be their cipher!

Well, he did kill half of Sauron's army single handedly with his bow, which would have generated an awful lot of focus to power defensive web...

Gandalf had a transformation after his near death experience, however. Gandalf was said to be the least of the 5 wizards sent to earth to aid the people with advice. Saruman was the head, and preferred direct control, domination and force.

Gandalf has spent a long time trying to indirectly coral forces against Sauron, rather than testing their strength directly. Gandalf's weakness was not one of the body, but one of spirit and will. For people that have been using asymmetrical warfare for so long, contesting 1 on 1 with Durin's Bane, fighting force to force directly, was something they sought to avoid.

The outcome would be in doubt given the lack of experience. Durin's Bane, by forcing a student of Nienna, patron of mercy, into a direct confrontation with no escape, it forced the unlocking of Gandalf's power. Powers that they had forced themselves not to use for quite some time. Perhaps Olorin had gotten used to playing the role of an old wise man. Durin's Bane was used to getting his way, though. Maybe that balrog thought he was beating up on some low level humans.

The old Gandalf, before his fall off that bridge, wouldn't have chased a near equal for 8 days around Moria and then up a winter mountain. Wouldn't have contested strength against strength, force against force, merciless in the hunt.

Edited by Ymarsakar

Gandalf, Sauron and Balrog belong to the same race.

They are basically angels (or fallen ones).

So they are god-likes?  Makes sense.  Balrog must be a fire-godlike.  Sauron is probably a death-godlike.

Balrog is indeed a fire spirit/angel.

But Sauron was actually a smith spirit/angel. Which makes sense given that he created most of the Rings.

Tolkien's mythology is a mix of Christian and Polytheist mythology.

There is one unique God called Eru Illuvatar.

He created angel-like beings called the AInur.

The most powerful Ainur are called Valar (more or less Archangel). They moved to Earth and created a kind of Pantheon ; each Valar has his/her own Portfolio. For example, there is a local Hephaïstos called Aulë who was Sauron's former master.

Their servant, the lesser Ainur, are called Maiar (more or less angels).

The most powerful of the angels was once called Melkor (more or less Lucifer). He betrayed God and fell. He became Morgoth, the Dark ennemy (basically Satan).

He corrupted several Maiar like Balrogs (Durin's bane is only the last Balrog, not the only one) and Sauron, who became demon-like beings.

• Like 1

And then, cipher casts mindweb.

And then give the wizard Spelltongue, and also let the priest cast few 'Salvation of Time', to make it last and last and last :)

Edited by MaxQuest

Though i realize that OP is not 100% serious, I don't see any logical arguments as to why wizards cannot be tanky. Sure, they use their minds rather than their bodies in combat (thus, they are less muscular, more prone to physical trauma etc.) but is it really that farfetched to think that if you can create a ball of fire with your mind, that you can also create a forcefield that reduces damage from blows and the elements, illusions that causes enemies to miss most of their attacks etc.?

Personally, I don't think so.

Wizard tank is cool a few fights per rest....

Thats why I cheat and give myself unlimited camp supply with cheat engine... Yes yes... I'm low... but leaving each dungeon 2-3 times just to go back town to resupply is not much fun and since I only consider this game fun on potd... I wish there was some sort of charity organization in game where I could compensate in gold for whatever extra camp supply I get with cheats. 

To the OP: what makes you think Gandalf is a wizard?  From what I've seen, he seems to be more commonly statted as a bard by people who care about such things.  After all, he can't levitate or cast many offensive spells but has bardic knowledge, some healing abilities, decent hand-to-hand prowess and the ability to inspire people. 

But your general point about not typecasting PoE's classes is right on the money.  As someone who's completed the game with a tank chanter and melee cipher, I say people should play their characters as they see fit rather than worrying that their playstyle doesn't mesh what people think a class "should" be.

Edited by jsaving

To the OP: what makes you think Gandalf is a wizard? From what I've seen, he seems to be more commonly statted as a bard by people who care about such things. After all, he can't levitate or cast many offensive spells but has bardic knowledge, some healing abilities, decent hand-to-hand prowess and the ability to inspire people.

He did conjure some fire...

And LoTR is not D&D or PoE. If he calls himself a wizard, he is a wizard.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

I actually don't see that he meshes well with any classes in D&D, especially given that Middle-Earth is such a low-magic campaign setting.  But sure, he can call himself what he likes! :)

Edited by jsaving

Yeah, I suppose you did leave it implicit with the "people who care about such things".

If I had to fit Gandalf into any PoE class, it would be Priest. Good enough at melee after a couple buffs, force multiplier in any team and more holy than scholarly, fitting the wizards' true nature.

EDIT: and fire. Never forget the fireworks.

Edited by DreamWayfarer