Hello,

last time I played this game was just after release of it and since then i didnt have occasion to continue. Just bought WM2 expansion and I'm a bit lost in all those topics. I would like to as someone to link (because i just dont know with one is up to date) otr just write talent distribution and some tips?i woul like to build dual wield rogue probably human. I would add some party members npc or some custome ones.

I would be thankfull for every advice. 

Regards

Dual wield sabres. When I have some time tonight I'll post about the best talents and what not. How do you feel about some spoilers concerned other things to do with your rogue in game.

Do you want a glass cannon flanker for max dps, or do you want balanced? all info that will help make better suggestions.

^ why sabres and not Rimecutters?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ rimecutter is great but it can be a real pain getting hold of it unless you console it in. I've got it once in quite a few play through so whereas resolution and bittercut are easy to get and arrive really early. But yeah rimecutter is great....

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I still prefer the soulbound dagger plus resolution makes for an awesome combo, I would say if your playing on potd and want to min max go moon godlike and max res

Stat wise 10 might, 8 con, 19 perc, 18 dex, 4 int, 18 resolve something like that great for rogue reasons and gives you plenty of surviability

i would prefer playing him as glass cannon flanker, i can micromanage him and try to keep him safe. I dont have any problem with some spoilers about gameplay. Every info is helpfull. Even suggestions about party, I was wondering about with like 4-5 members with 2 frontliners one caster and maybe ranger.

It can be min/max approach and i was thinking about potd.

Edited by Zeraili

i would prefer playing him as glass cannon flanker, i can micromanage him and try to keep him safe. I dont have any problem with some spoilers about gameplay. Every info is helpfull. Even suggestions about party, I was wondering about with like 4-5 members with 2 frontliners one caster and maybe ranger.

It can be min/max approach and i was thinking about potd.

Then I would also recommend Tall Grass with max PER and DEX and Hearth Orlan. Take all ACC+ and crit related abilities and talents and you're good. Get boots of speed as soon as you can (there is a non-random place where you can get them: Russetwood in the White March, top right in a landslide - you can sneak there without getting into a fight with Ice Trolls I guess.) Fast Runner, a Cape of Withdrawal and Graceful Retreat can give you +32 defense against disengagement attacks. That can be a live saver. You can exchange the cape with the Cloak of the Master Mystic as soon as you can get it (also White March, +12 deflection and invisible after a crit is an even better life saver). When you get engaged (this will happen): pause, switch to a hatchet plus large shield in your second weapon slot, then decide where to run with your boots of speed and then unpause. This is way more effective than the escape ability or other stuff. You will live and outrun every enemy. Just run to another flanking spot and start attacking with the pike again. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

He did say he wanted to build a dual wielding Rogue, Tall grass is a good weapon especially if you crit a lot but it is also extremely boring and wielding a big two handed pike on a Rogue just feels wrong!

The disengage stuff is strong and I recommend it. Tried a shield monk build with run speed and disengage items/talets running with 3 ciphers who puts their beams on the monk while he just run around the mobs dragging the beams around, mobs were exploding and the monk was untouchable. Fun stuff!

Anyway, furthest I've played a Rogue is

He did say he wanted to build a dual wielding Rogue, Tall grass is a good weapon especially if you crit a lot but it is also extremely boring and wielding a big two handed pike on a Rogue just feels wrong!

The disengage stuff is strong and I recommend it. Tried a shield monk build with run speed and disengage items/talets running with 3 ciphers who puts their beams on the monk while he just run around the mobs dragging the beams around, mobs were exploding and the monk was untouchable. Fun stuff!

Anyway, furthest I've played a Rogue is to lvl 8 and they are strong ST dps.

Abilitys/talents that I like: Crippling strike-two weapon focus-reckless assault-weapon focus-dirty fighting-savage attack.

That's a start.

I prefer Hearth Orlan for more crits and they look badass if u make him black!

Ruffian is a good focus for weapons.

Max out dex and might. Minimum constitution and intelligence(if you have other debuffers in grp).

Make friends with a Cipher.

Paladin as Off tank with Zealots focus aura allows for even more crits.

Thanks for advice, i was thinking about party od Paladin tank, ranger, rogue. I would be gratefull for suggestions od one caster and offtank that would be fun to play? Regarding rogue ill pick him as second character due to conversation options because with low int it would be limited.

The druid using outlander frenzy + wildstrike on the shapeshift, is pretty good at early levels. Doesn't need spells for damage. 1 per encounter only. More int= more damage.

And the druid has some close range aoe heals and aoe dmg blind spells. The druid can also be fit with shield talent for more deflection for off tanking 1 or 2 enemies, instead of taking weapon focus, rely on the spiritshift for damage instead.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84781-advice-for-solo-potd-rogue-tank/?hl=%2Brogue+%2Bbuild

There's a level up talent list there. But it's designed with the shield/tank rogue in mind.

A shield rogue is probably the easiest to use for melee in the beginning, before you try anything more fancy.

For a dual wield, 20% attack speed from two weapon wield, cautious attack for when you start getting engaged by enemies you can't get rid of, reckless assault, backstab. I think a rogue can fit that in before level 5. With a party, should be simple to get permanent flank with positioning. I normally don't pull with my rogue, I use a tankier character like a fighter/chanter/druid/monk. Backstab is a little bit hard to use, if you don't like doing rogue pulls. So it might be more viable to take both blind/cripple, and leave backstab for later.

Instead of a druid, you can also use a wizard to off tank, but that requires using a little bit more spells per rest.  The wizard's base deflection is like 10, barbarians/rogues 15, and fighters are at 30, highest. Chanters at 25. The wizard makes up for the low deflection via spells like mirror image 2nd level spell and arcane veil 2/rest. So wizard off tanking is limited, until you get more spells, and the two rings that add spell levels. It requires some thought and good micro to get it right, so some people might find a wizard self buff tank fun that way. I usually use a wizard to spot tank for when the main tanks are low on health or in trouble. The wizard's cone spells are also very effective if they use dimensional shift to get to the front and blast people. I think one combo I used was deleterious alacrity+essential phantom+dimensional shift on essential phantom to switch places and teleport, then cast cone damage spells.

The chanter is a very easy to use as a main aoe dps/tank or off tank/healer/support/summoner, and gets more powerful at higher levels now with recitation shortcuts. The reason is that all your talents can go into defensive talents, besides one for aoe healing from the verses. Other classes have class talents they have to pick instead.

As for build lists, http://forums.obsidian.net/user/155448-boeroer/ has a few on this forum section that has been updated to 3.0 or close enough that it still applies.

Edited by Ymarsakar
  • Like 1

I saw some other builds and was thinking about party like:

cipher (the baclslash beldam build) - for like tanky cipher

druid (bat**** crazy build)

paladin(The Rauatai Captain)/chanter (Drake's Ambassador) - cant decide yet

rogue

and maybe other dps like

ranger?

Do You think it would be ok party for ptod and my rogue could survive in it?

Regarding rogue i would build him as dual wielding sabres,

as for stats i could make some min/max but is it worth to go very high in might?

Second question it would be still ok to make him as main character with low int?

I saw some other builds and was thinking about party like:

cipher (the baclslash beldam build) - for like tanky cipher

druid (bat**** crazy build)

paladin(The Rauatai Captain)/chanter (Drake's Ambassador) - cant decide yet

rogue

and maybe other dps like

ranger?

Do You think it would be ok party for ptod and my rogue could survive in it?

Regarding rogue i would build him as dual wielding sabres,

as for stats i could make some min/max but is it worth to go very high in might?

Second question it would be still ok to make him as main character with low int?

It's not hard to control who aggroes whom in this game, but you do have to get some experience with it to figure out the tricks. Keeping your rogue individually stealthed as a tougher class/tank pulls is what I usually start with.

The cipher can probably take on 1-3 enemies. The druid build, about 2-4. Paladin magnifies how long people can absorb damage due to lay on hands, so it's about 1+2/3. So basically unless you're facing more than 7 enemies against your party, your rogue should have plenty of free space to move around to attack people. You don't need to use the rogue to flank enemies, you just need two melee people to make an enemy become flanked, then the rogue can melee/range attack for sneak dmg on that flanked enemy.

Replaying from the start in 3.0, the trash mobs in wilderness areas feel... far fewer compared to the game from 1.0 days. Spirits are tougher due to instant stun lock via touch, but darguls are weaker because they no longer paralyze. A lot more enemies have immunities based on their type, differentiating the various genealogy lines. 

The tanky builds for cipher and druid are pretty versatile, although not as easy to use for a beginner as Eder with dagger/small shield. You should be okay in POTD (now at least), so long as you don't try clearing Caed Nua at level 2 or something. Same goes for that temple of Eothas in GV. Once your party hits level 3 or 4, you should easily be able to take on most of the wilderness areas before Defiance. And dungeons too for Caed.

Edited by Ymarsakar

Replaying from the start in 3.0, the trash mobs in wilderness areas feel... far fewer compared to the game from 1.0 days. Spirits are tougher due to instant stun lock via touch, but darguls are weaker because they no longer paralyze. A lot more enemies have immunities based on their type, differentiating the various genealogy lines.

Darguls don't paralyze anymore? I was sure they still did back in 3.0 beta...

Darguls don't paralyze anymore? I was sure they still did back in 3.0 beta...

The low level ones I met in Anslaug compass only weakens now. Long duration though, around 10s. I surmise that the higher level undead ones will probably have paralyze now. A lot of the earlier wilderness maps are pretty easy now (besides the bear cave, bears, and lions). I guess they toned it down, even for POTD.

Edited by Ymarsakar

Than regarding party with

Druid/cipher/paladin (or chanter?)  would it be ok to add another probably ranged dps like ranger/mage or only rogue is enaugh?  Im worried only for conversation options with rogue wouldnt it be a bit poor? Maybe some of those other classes would be better as main character?

Thanks for advise ill be a bit more carefull early with such composition

Druid/cipher/paladin (or chanter?)  would it be ok to add another probably ranged dps like ranger/mage or only rogue is enaugh?  Im worried only for conversation options with rogue wouldnt it be a bit poor? Maybe some of those other classes would be better as main character?

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84807-potd-party-composition/?do=findComment&comment=1782647

I covered some of the issues with party composition, at that link.

If you are really worried about the conversation options or unlocking all/most of them, then pick a main class that can use really high per/resolve/int. Problem solved. Wasn't there like a paladin build with that object in mind? Probably works for a wizard, cipher, or druid too.

Edited by Ymarsakar

I'm playing a Rogue PC right now who only has an INT of 8.  And while that can be a little limiting at times, he has a super high PER and a moderate RES, and I haven't had any real troubles doing what I wanted to do in dialogs.

IMO, the problem with building characters to get all the best dialog options is that you end up with a character is really hobbled in combat.  I think that it's better to maybe pick one of the primary talking attributes (PER, INT, or RES) pump it up.  Of course, some classes place a very high importance in one of those attributes, so pumping up that one is already going to be a no-brainer. 

Also, during the course of the game, you'll be able to pick up stat-enhancing items that you can use to either boost weaker stats or already strong stats.  With my PC Rogue, I've cared more about boosting PER and then RES than worrying much about INT, because I haven't found INT to be as important to my Rogue's combat performance.

Thanks for all that infornation, I think i already know what to do :) I would like to add one more class to party but im not surę hoe to build it properly. It would be melee mage is there aby viable build at the moment? Or someon could post like talents and status distribution?

Thanks for all that infornation, I think i already know what to do :) I would like to add one more class to party but im not surę hoe to build it properly. It would be melee mage is there aby viable build at the moment? Or someon could post like talents and status distribution?

This is a melee mage and perfect addition to any party.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84874-build-guide-the-royal-court-battlemage-wizard/?do=findComment&comment=1783446

If you want to make the mage even more pure melee go directly for vulnerable attack / and Savage attack and skip the blast talents. Savage attack is a no brainer given eldrige aim and the high accuracy of rapiers or daggers. Forge master gloves and firebrand is also very good. But if you want the mage to be more tanky go weapon and small shield although I'd argue the weapon and shield off tank role is handled better by a retaliation cipher or the slomo burn chanter. Wizard is just too good offensively. Alacrity +5 fireballs in your face in 10 seconds followed by stun lock interrupt on the mob boss leader.

For a melee wizard I'd concentrate on using the summoned weapons, two handed and reach. The spells use whatever weapon focus you have. I'd go Peasant for Quarterstaff - the one with the speed enchant is great - or go for Soldier and use Pikes - also lets you start with an arbalest or arquebus shot.

Boreal Dwarf

Might 21 - more damage and one of the only ways to do more damage with spells

Con 10

Dex 10

Per 14 - some accuracy and interrupt

Int 13 - some increased area and duration

Res 10 - you don't want to dump and get interrupted

Talents

- Soldier - +6 accuracy

- two handed style - 15% more damage

- Savage Attack - 20% more damage

- Veil - a good escape button

- hardened Veil - a better escape button

Spirit of Decay - I like the corrosive spells but anything will work

Master spells

one - Concelhats staff - your go to melee weapon

two - Infuse with essence - +50 endurance to act as a health battery

three - alacrity - +50% action speed is crazy good

The reach weapons let you stay in the second row and avoid some damage. You will hit like a truck. You still have all your wizard spells as needed. Minor fights you'll be able to clear just with your three mastered spells and hardly ever need to rest.