Maybe put the question to a poll on the forum!

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

if you play without figurines you limit the first strike abilities, if you play without acc and damage you limit the clearspeed, as long as you can hit yout enemys you just take a few more hours per enemy - how much fun

Apparently you think I suggested a noober run, which I did not. Even if I did, I don't see a reason for the snarky remarks.

He wanted to do something with less kiting, so I was suggesting a classic solo run, only with a bad weapon, which is easier than a noober run.

You, on the other hand, suggested to make the kiting start earlier on a noober run without the figurines.

I'm pretty sure my suggestion has the faster clearspeed of the two.

Its official: Noober > Thaos

Oh dear – this was the hell of a fight. 81 minutes of pure running and terror. Not to forget: Finding the right strategy and the countless deaths during this search – a pure nightmare.

As tanking was no option the only chance for Noober was kiting like a god. The main threat were not only the fast moving statues but especially Thaos „Cleansing Flame“. If he casted this on Noober it was unavoidable instadeath. The only way to avoid this was the help of summons. But - what a pity - this alone was not enough. The main goal was: Get Thaos out of his spell cycle. This happens randomly (?) for instance when the summons are dying. So once Noober saw Thaos approaching him without any spell symbol above his head THIS was the right time to start the running and kiting.

Thanks to the Boots of Speed + the movement resting bonus it was possible to kite the two statues and Thaos alltogether by just running in circles using the whole battleground as kiting territory. Thanks to this running pattern Noober was able to fire one arrow when reaching the eastern side and one arrow on the western side. To avoid any melee engagement he had to fire Lenas Er from maximum distance exactly when the statues moved out of the fog of war. Everything else was instadeath.

With this "simple" method he circled and circled and circled... firing his bow again and again and again. After the spell buffs expired the deflection of the statues (and Thaos) was low enough to hit them quite regularly. Only Thaos deflection of 88 was troublesome and lead to many grazes.

It took nearly an hour before the first statue went down. At this point it was very important getting distance as fast as possible because of the death explosion. I forgot about that so Noober got critically hit for 50 fire damage which brought him down to 13 endurance only.

Ten minutes later Noober killed the second statue and avoided the explosion completly. Now only Noober and Thaos were left. A classical 1vs1 with Noober getting tired and nearly moving into engagement range of Thaos. After this shocking moment Noobers instincts awakend again and he kited for his life like never before. Thaos - once he is out of his spell cycle will not cast any spells again unless you get into melee engagement again - something Noober avoided at all costs. Hit after hit Thaos life bar went to injured – heavy injured – nearly dead. After reaching over 80 minutes of exhausting kiting Noober finally landed the killing blow and brought it to an end. The end of the game. The end of this project. Thanks for reading. Thanks for your support.

P.S. I tried capturing a video but my laptop constantly crashed for no reason. Maybe i will try again another day. But i dont think many of you want a 8X minute long kiting nightmare with endless pauses thanks to neverending micromanagement.

:blink:

:bow:

• Like 3

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Hhhmmmm.... a poll sounds like a decent idea but on the other hand it would increase the stress for me. My reallife soaks up too much time so the challenge would take some time.

I was also thinking about a Barbarian for Noober II. as the class is much underrepresented. I like this.

Playing a "normal" solo run witthout any items (even no summons, scrolls and potions) would take my Ascetic Monk to a new level. Could be fun too - or a nightmare.

I dont care much about the official achievements. Maybe "The Ultimate" would be an okay-challenge but its feels to "normal".

Anyway: Thanks for your input and ideas! :yes:

Really you did an amazing achivement Harpagornis! Well done!

PS: just in your interest, i think a noober 2 run with barb will be just a replay of what you did now but with less accuracy... You will not die of boredom after a while?

Yeah, you are right Dr <3 - playing another class in the same manner could become boring at some point.

Pet only play sounds cool but... well... not a Ranger again... this class is totally OP says Noober.

Well - maybe i have to switch the game and just play more chess tournaments again.  :biggrin:

A fellow chess player. :D

Got an idea that puts another link to BG:

The Kensai

Perfected the art of fighting with the chosen weapon but disregards ALL other items including food-buffs, potions, scrolls, summons etc.

This could be hell but - on the other hand - sounds like a challenge. Is there a way going through to Thaos or is it just a devilish idea? devil.gif

• Like 1

chess... damn, why are my club termins always when i have no time? I used to play 9 times for the team per year and once a week just for fun... and about 2 tournaments per year now i play 3 games for the team a year, thats it -.-

I once tried a "ranger with 3 in all stats and bear as MC"... that was when the animal companion was ridiculous UP... now it would be kinda fun^^

Congrats. Reminds me of when Matron Z kept chasing me after downing 4/6 of my party, I had to kite her around a campsite doing 2-4 graze damage from Sagani until the ogre matron died.

Horse archer tactics, still potent in the 21st century even after the Mongols and steppe tribes have gone into history.

Edited by Ymarsakar
  • Like 1

the ogre matron? Man, that was so funny - i got quite low in solo runs against some ogre groups, so i resolved the ogre matron without a fight - only to not see the steal symbol over the chest and aggro the group with theft i paused the game for 20 secs thinking "oh **** i am ****ed" - only to stomp them very fast without loosing endurance (my heals were too high, lost a bit health) dont know, but if a max might chanter with 40-60 deflection starts a fight in the middle of the pack and they aggro the figurines... the game is too easy, why no AI... X_x

• Like 1

Yeah the AI sucks like in so many other games. Wasteland 2 for instance is not better. But for chess - holy cow. There the AI will destroy you, so playing humans is much more fun.

Maybe i will give the Kensai a try in the next days or starting another Iron Run if no other idea catches my mind. We will see! :yes:

• Like 1

He also won Hyleas Blessing (+1 PER) after kiting the "$§%OMG?=!$ Adragans to death. Good old bear worked great as a pertrify dummy.

Hylea's Blessing? ... You could avoid fighting the sky dragon with RES 3 and INT 3?

There's a certain dialogue option that uses logic rather than stats to pass, I think. Or maybe it was based on per.

Edited by Ymarsakar

He also won Hyleas Blessing (+1 PER) after kiting the "$§%OMG?=!$ Adragans to death. Good old bear worked great as a pertrify dummy.

Hylea's Blessing? ... You could avoid fighting the sky dragon with RES 3 and INT 3?

There's a certain dialogue option that uses logic rather than stats to pass, I think. Or maybe it was based on per.

I think you pretty much jsut have to tell her a peaceful solution would less likely endanger her young.

Not exactly sure, since I haven't skipped that fight in forever, for a char above level 1 and noober, she's a joke and not much harder than the shadow drakes in Sun in Shadow, who also have ads.