Yeah, a video or detailed blow by blow for Thaos would be cool. Given how POE system rewards level-ups quite a lot it's awesome you've gotten this far.

Alright, so I am following Pillars of Eternitiy since it's kickstarter announcement, so we can say right from the very beginning.

I was lurking on the forum since then, read probably 80% of all the threads but nothing made me post until today.

Harpagornis, you made something hilarious and incredible with this experiment, I hope that I can also congratulate on your successful takedown of Thaos in the near future! :)

• Like 2

As i am an oldschool player who his only used in writing guides i have no experience with video software.

It would indeed be very cool to post a video so can anyone give me a tip which program i should use?

Thanks a lot! I dont know if i will be able to fight Thaos today as my reallife is still soaking all of my time.

"May Thaos be Nooberized" :biggrin:

• Like 3

As i am an oldschool player who his only used in writing guides i have no experience with video software.

It would indeed be very cool to post a video so can anyone give me a tip which program i should use?

Thanks a lot! I dont know if i will be able to fight Thaos today as my reallife is still soaking all of my time.

"May Thaos be Nooberized" :biggrin:

I am using Open Broadcaster Software.

Pretty much the best program out there and it's free.

You might wanna watch a tutorial vid on how to use it, but it's pretty straightforward.

Its official: Noober > Thaos

Oh dear – this was the hell of a fight. 81 minutes of pure running and terror. Not to forget: Finding the right strategy and the countless deaths during this search – a pure nightmare.

As tanking was no option the only chance for Noober was kiting like a god. The main threat were not only the fast moving statues but especially Thaos „Cleansing Flame“. If he casted this on Noober it was unavoidable instadeath. The only way to avoid this was the help of summons. But - what a pity - this alone was not enough. The main goal was: Get Thaos out of his spell cycle. This happens randomly (?) for instance when the summons are dying. So once Noober saw Thaos approaching him without any spell symbol above his head THIS was the right time to start the running and kiting.

Thanks to the Boots of Speed + the movement resting bonus it was possible to kite the two statues and Thaos alltogether by just running in circles using the whole battleground as kiting territory. Thanks to this running pattern Noober was able to fire one arrow when reaching the eastern side and one arrow on the western side. To avoid any melee engagement he had to fire Lenas Er from maximum distance exactly when the statues moved out of the fog of war. Everything else was instadeath.

With this "simple" method he circled and circled and circled... firing his bow again and again and again. After the spell buffs expired the deflection of the statues (and Thaos) was low enough to hit them quite regularly. Only Thaos deflection of 88 was troublesome and lead to many grazes.

It took nearly an hour before the first statue went down. At this point it was very important getting distance as fast as possible because of the death explosion. I forgot about that so Noober got critically hit for 50 fire damage which brought him down to 13 endurance only.

Ten minutes later Noober killed the second statue and avoided the explosion completly. Now only Noober and Thaos were left. A classical 1vs1 with Noober getting tired and nearly moving into engagement range of Thaos. After this shocking moment Noobers instincts awakend again and he kited for his life like never before. Thaos - once he is out of his spell cycle will not cast any spells again unless you get into melee engagement again - something Noober avoided at all costs. Hit after hit Thaos life bar went to injured – heavy injured – nearly dead. After reaching over 80 minutes of exhausting kiting Noober finally landed the killing blow and brought it to an end. The end of the game. The end of this project. Thanks for reading. Thanks for your support.

P.S. I tried capturing a video but my laptop constantly crashed for no reason. Maybe i will try again another day. But i dont think many of you want a 8X minute long kiting nightmare with endless pauses thanks to neverending micromanagement.

Edited by Harpagornis
  • Like 15

Congratulations Harpagornis, you wrote Pillars of Eternity history :D. It's been one hell of a ride, and I admire your energy (for completing your challenge while you're already occupied), your persistence (in completing this challenge) and your enthusiasm (as shown by your lovely stories). Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Like 1

Congratulations!  The game can indeed be beat by a level 1 solo character on POTD.  Now no one can complain about the game being too hard.

Did you ever wear armor, or just plain clothes in order to have the highest weapon recovery speed?

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

Congratulations!  The game can indeed be beat by a level 1 solo character on POTD.  Now no one can complain about the game being too hard.

Did you ever wear armor, or just plain clothes in order to have the highest weapon recovery speed?

Most of the time Noober only weared plain Cloth for maximum attack speed. Only against specific enemies (mostly ranged ones) he sometimes switched to Plate Armor.

Edited by Harpagornis
  • Like 1

Ok, i didnt know about the Thaos stopping to cast "bug"... the more i play the more bugs i learn about - gotta love the game :D

Damn, the bug wouldnt have helped my Cipher (that didnt manage to kill thaos despite lvl 12 because deep pockets was bugged - could either go in the fight without potions or with just 3 figurines...) because he didnt have the movementspeed to kite them - no resting bonus

Big Congrats, i wouldnt have the Stamina for such i fight, i would rather ragequit then do something like this xD

Edited by Reent
  • Like 1

Thanks again! For anyone who is interested in Noobers starting stats - here they are:

MIGHT 18

CON 15

DEX 19

PER 20

INT 3

RES 3

The low Int and Res didnt hurt Noober as later on anyone will hit you anyway. Pushing damage and accuray was nice!! Shooting faster too. The points in Con sometimes were a lifesaver. Not to forget: If Noober wouldnt have used the +15 Endurance Necklace vs Thaos he would have died to the death explosion. Oh dear. But even more important than stats were the tactics for tricky situations and battles together with some metagame knowledge. Noober will take a rest now and - maybe - move on to other adventures (or games?). :yes:

Edited by Harpagornis
  • Like 1

A great story and a great challenge!

Makes me wanna play another round of PoE - even more now with the new expansion. Im not planning to follow noobers path but im gonna get an archer in my team and name its bear "NoobersCheesyBear" :)

Hrhrhrhr - feel free to do this. I am too still in the mood to play another round of PoE but i dont know which challenge to choose. Any wishes or ideas?

And please no "Iron Man Noober" - even my patience (and time) is limited. :biggrin: The "normal" solo rewards are not of great interest so - what else is left?

Well done! Only problem now for you, is you are going to have to do a noober playthrough with each class :)

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Well, I think noober is clearly overpowered, so this time I'd try a class like a barbarian.... :)

Seriously though I think it would be impossible with some classes. Rogues and Rangers I suspect would be the easiest. Though I use the term "easiest" rather advisedly as my mind is ready to explode just thinking about the noober challenge...

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light