Hhhhmmmmm... the problem with the Doemenels is the fight against the bandits in the small house. Five enemies - three of them high dps - with no room for kiting. I have tried it several times and failed miserably. What would your strategy be here? Maybe i should get more figurines first? But even then it would be very tough.  If i cant get through them and the Dozens are also too hard then.... well, then it might be over no? :biggrin:

Why are you fighting them?  That battle is completely avoidable with conversation, I thought.  In fact, I don't know how you even trigger a battle there and have tried a few variations of the dialog options.

How did you get your invite to the Mob family?  I always do it with the quest at the trading building in the docks district where you find the paladin NPC (can't think of the name).  That should be an easy fight since you don't actually need to fight at all; you can just sit back and watch the Domenels clean house after you deliver that guy's package and align yourself with the Family.  The next quest will then just require you to talk to the thieves and ask them for the letter.

Edited by Braven

Hhhmmm... but how can you avoid fighting the bandits? I have tried all dialogue options but they always attack me! What am i missing? :blink:

Remember the quest in ondra gift at the valian embassy? The quest in wich you have to take something to copperlane... In the end you can side with droemels And agree to kill vizent or whetever name he has. Doing so wins for you an invitati in in droemels house

Ah, thanks Dr <3! This makes things much easier. I tested it - worked. Even helping Medreth will get you in. Damn - this is too easy.

i will try the Dozens and see if it works. If not i can always fall back to Doemenels. :yes:

Just make sure you save before you try the dozens.  I will be very impressed if you pull that off.  There are teleporting shades all over the place and the particularly nasty paralyze ghosts.  Also, there is a section where you must fight spiders with their insane DR bypass in a very, very small tunnel with absolutely no place to flee or kite since you are right up against a zone loading entrance.  

In my (not so extreme) solo, I was able to slowly kite the ghosts, one by one.  The spiders, I just had to power through the first group with scrolls.  The remaining groups can be drawn and picked off one or two at a time.  Then the boss... I fought him and it was a really, really hard battle, but maybe there is a conversation way out that will still allow you to complete the quest, I think, but not get the spear.  I never tried that option.

Edit:  There might be a way to just bypass the ghosts all together.  I was trying for the spear, but now that I think about it, maybe there was a hallway that allows you to skip past most of them.

Edited by Braven

Its done. Noober retrieved the ancient weapons from the ruins of Lhe a Rhemen and won the favor of the Dozens! :yes:

Here is a short summary how he managed to pull it off:

1. Cleared the Pwgra guards by pulling them one after another and kiting them to death (and dancing around their spells).

2. Accepted the quest and pecaefully talked to the Giant Killer Party so Noober got the Adra Disc.

3. Sneaked around the Knights Patrol to get into the ruins.

4. The first spiders are the most difficult. The easiest way was: Splitpull the spiders and let good old Bear run around the entrance stairs while Noober waited in the corridor to fire of one bolt each round they passed. This will take some time but finally the first spider groups will be gone.

5. The big room with nearly endless spiders was relatively easy as you now have enough room to play the classic shoot & run game cheesing around the maximum engegament range. Even if some spiders will relentlessly follow Noober just played the Circling-Bear-Game again while shooting them down from the corridor. Killing all spiders took some hours but thanks to his patience he never got hit. He just had to make sure that the big Crystal Spiders couldnt land their AoE-spell. Once it expires the rest was normal kiting.

6. Noober creeped through to tunnel where he met more spiders attacking him. This was maybe the most tricky part. He immediately summoned the beetles and waited for the spiders triggering the traps. With bad positioning the AoE-effect of the traps will wipe the whole party so everyone stepped back a little bit. Once the beetles soaked the engagement Noober could run directly to Nridek. He talked to him peacefully so even the hostile spiders will turn friendly afterwards. Noober looted the weapons and walked out of the ruins.

7. Before getting out he rested so that he could summon the beetles again when facing the Knights ambush outside. Noober let them soak all engagement and run. Once he got out of vision the combat ended and the way to Defiance Bay was open. Quest completed!

This was easier than i expected. Maybe Noober will soon be ready for the last obstacle in Act 2: Heritage Hill.

Edited by Harpagornis
  • Like 1

Heritage Hill and Act 2 are finished – Noober will be heading to Twin Elms soon!

Getting through Heritage Hill was a small nightmare – especially the tower.

1. Cleared the outer region by using summons and kiting. This alone took several hours. The Darguls were harmless as they are too slow. The main thread were the fast moving Ghuls and especially the hard hitting mages. One shotting them with Wounding Shot was the easiest way dealing with them.

2. The first try getting through the tower failed. Why? Because you have to fight the skeleton groups in one go – no resting and retreating allowed. The second group near the stairs with two mages, thiefes and the fighters was too hard. It was impossible for Noober killing the very tough Fighters at the end. This meant: Retreating and getting the Adra Figurine first.

3. Cleared the Dargul infested villa using the hit & run game. Thanks to Mechanic 4 Noober was able to pick the lock at the door making the way free for the mausoleum. Several fights and one instadeath later (Sunlance trap hitting him for 476 (!) damage) he finally managed to take the Adra Figurine from the coffin.

4. Back to the tower Noober used all food buffs available and met the skeleton group again. Instakilled the two mages with well aimed Wounding Shots while the summons (3 Beetles → Animat → Adra Beetle) tanked the rest. At the end only the fighters and the Adra Beetle with good old bear were fighting for victory. A lucky crit with Cloudpiercer that triggered Jolting Touch took the Fighters down just mere seconds before the Adra Beetle vanished.

5. Tower Level 2 was easier than expected. Noober stealthed to the Southerrn part of the room where he summoned the 3 beetles to soak all engagement. Once this was done he moved with his bear to the western stairs while the beetles lured the enemies farer away to the eastern side. This gave Noober enough time to restealth after the battle ended so he could use the stairs into safety.

6. The rest was easy. Talking to Adhelm, getting the words, tricking the prisoners, recieving the „Gift of the machine“ and getting out of this cursed place again. Job done!

Act 3 will be coming soon... :yes:

• Like 1

Nice job.  I haven't seen ACT 3 since they changed the encounters around.  Most of the time I re-roll before even getting there.  At least Noober will have access to "superb" equipment in Twin Elms.

Noober doesn't want to take a holiday break in The White March first?  Get some Durgan Steel?  Or a soulbound crossbow?   ;)

I wonder how much of that area could be done with just sneaking around.

Edited by Braven

going to white march blind with my chanter (solo ironman always) today was so nice - could clear the matron, went to the other side of the village, first enemy pack - underestimated (didnt see everything) - paralyse to dead with just one spell in between (+25 heal from athletics, didnt get any stacks for chanter spells...)... nice one! Max might/con with both talents vs paralyse...

i wanna see noober clear them - they run so fast xD

The White March would be a real nightmare for sure - especially the dreaded Lagufaeth.

And with every monster getting more and more deflection he will have a hard time hitting them.

I even dont know if Noober would be able to clear the Ogres in Stalwart - theoretically: yes, practically: maybe.

For the moment he is concentrating on the main story line while thinking about ways how to beat Thaos... 

the legendary petrify trap - shouldnt work... kiting... shouldnt work against thaos, maybe the 2 statues...

maybe a 100 on a charm spell before the statues get buffed xD (did that with a cipher, however that wasnt reliable and i had much higher acc^^)

Lucky spell use from thaos maybe? Sometimes he used bad spells for a long time (until i died against the ****ing op DoT anyway - bad acc is killer against thaos -.-)

Well, Thaos himself shouldnt be the problem. I kited him to death with my Druid earlier thanks to Boots of Speed. He is so dumb that he nearly never uses any spells and just tries to run up to you. This is my opinion the easiest part even though it would take ages. I a more concerned about the statues. They are fast, hit hard and have good defenses. Will the room for kiting be enough without getting the attention of Thaos? We will see. At the moment Noober has other problems... :biggrin:

It sure didnt feel like it when my first solo run (last non ironman run i ever did) didnt manage to beat thaos because i didnt have to upgrade my gear to kill everything before thaos and my deep pockets bugged - i tried a few days but in the end i had to end the run... didnt have a safe game where deep pockets wasnt bugged and i never knew - only in the end i had to change my items -.-

Yeah, this can be painful. But not in Noobers case. I have played this game so many times that nowadays it doesnt matter  if i finish it. The way itself - to which point ever - is much more pleasure than watching the ending screen. Once i am getting too bored - like with the naked Monk - i stop it for a while and move on to new challenges (or maybe games).

Update: The Ambush on your travel to Twin Elms was much harder than i expected. The easiest - and maybe the only - way was to lure the enemies into a group of lions and elder lions. Without the help of the lions Noober missed the needed firepower to bring them down. Retreat and repeat did not work here as you cannot leave combat until all of them are dead. After the slaughter of the lions Noober picked up a nice +3 Might Girdle that boosted his Arbalest Damage to 37-53 - great. :yes:

Edited by Harpagornis

Did you find boots of speed? One nice thing about white March is the easy access to +3 speed boots (assuming you can beat the ogres).

Not yet. But Noober will try to get them before going down to Thaos. In the meanwhile he will enjoy the wonderful nature in and around Twin Elms. He got farer than i expected so everything following from now is just a bonus. :yes:

Edited by Harpagornis

Noober made some progress even though i am very short of time.

He now uses my beloved Lenas Er Hunting Bow for even more powerful - and faster - kiting.

He also won Hyleas Blessing (+1 PER) after kiting the "$§%OMG?=!$ Adragans to death. Good old bear worked great as a pertrify dummy.

Right now he finished "Song of the Heavens" for +1 PER again so his Accuracy with Lenas Er is now boosted to 66 (with racial bonus but unbuffed).

Will be time to get some Boots of Speed soon. Or maybe trying White March? We will see... :yes:

OKay - Noober finally got the "Boots of Speed" from the Burial Isle. The Ghosts and Cean Gwla were no match - just cautious kiting and summon decoys. Now its time to restock, getting the last summon figurines and then.... Well, should he end it or move on to the White March? I am unsure about this... oh well...and Noober is fearing Thaos for sure! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

You're writing a wonderful fairytale here, Harpagornis. No matter where Noober will end up, his journey is a joy to follow for all of us :).

Thanks gogocactus. I could write in "real" fairytale style but then the texts would be so long that no one would read them. But... stop. There arent many readers here anyway - or at least commentators. Seems not many are caring about hardcore challenges. Maybe we have to boost the Nerd-Level even higher. What was Braven talking about - Iron Man Noober? :biggrin:

• Like 1