There are a couple of threads referencing Bloody Slaughter talent.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73572-bloody-slaughter-talent-few-questions-and-doubts/

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/pillars-of-eternity-beta-discussion-game-released-go-to-new-thread.93694/page-403

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78432-103bloody-slaughter-how-low-is-low-endurance/

To sum it up:

- when you deal damage against a target that has less than 10% of endurance left, you get an extra 20% hit to crit conversion.

- this works for weapon attacks and spells alike

- all crits against such targets (i.e. those that have < 10% endurance left) get extra 0.5 added to their damage coefficient. (i.e. not only those which were converted by BS itself)

Seems like a really good talent for a DPS Kind Wayfarer paladin for triggering Strange Mercy with Sacred Immolation.

Also has some synergies with Bloodlust, Blood Thirst and that helm that has some procs on kills. (can't recall it's name atm)

For other classes/situations... it feels somewhat lackluster, since a 10% endurance enemy is as good as dead anyway.

Edited by MaxQuest

"Low endurance" is indeed somewhat vague. So I will quote an old reply:

Ok so I dug into the game files and was able to view the ability in Unity :
- Bonus Hit To Crit Percent enemy Below 10Percent : 20
- Bonus Crit Hit Multiplier enemy Below 10Percent : 0.5

So here are the answers :
- the enemy has to be < 10%
- the 50% crit damage addition applies only to enemies under 10%, but apparently it applies to all crits, not only those that got converted

Before someone asks, no, I cannot patch this to be < 25% , I've checked and there's no trigger condition for values other than 10%.
Edited by MaxQuest

Thks for the advice! Testing on a solo wiz, i have to decide between this or a def talent ( es snake reflex)

Solo wiz? That snake reflex might be useful for tanking dragons breath...

While bloody slaughter... it's more for kill-stealing from team-members. And you are solo anyway.

Edited by MaxQuest

Yes, and since it will do nothing to enemies that were brought down to less than 10%, and only affects those that already were less than 10%, you will have to cast an extra AoE spell anyway.

So yeah, Scion of Flame, Secrets of Rime and probably Spirit of Decay (if you are into Conhelhaut's draining spells) will prove more useful.

Edited by MaxQuest

- the 50% crit damage addition applies only to enemies under 10%, but apparently it applies to all crits, not only those that got converted

Before someone asks, no, I cannot patch this to be < 25% , I've checked and there's no trigger condition for values other than 10%.

But that's from April 2015. I thought they changed that because it was so lackluster. I think I will ahve to look into the files myself. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 year later...

But that's from April 2015. I thought they changed that because it was so lackluster. I think I will ahve to look into the files myself. :)

This is an old post but there is a tweet where J Sawyer confirms he changed it to 25%.

This is an old post but there is a tweet where J Sawyer confirms he changed it to 25%.

I know that he said that about Death's Usher (Death Godlikes' racial ability). I never saw this about Bloody Slaughter. 

@MaxQuest: can you check? That would be worth knowing. Death's Usher + Bloody Slaughter for the win! ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Even at 10% it is especially good for ciphers who turn overkill into focus. DPS builds that have high volume low damage hits can benefit too. If you're taking it strictly for weapons, I'd take a 10% booster like scion of flame (5% boost to chanter lash + 5% boost to fire weapon lash) first and only take bs if you still have talents left to spare. That said, I run an extremely offensive party and have it on my Cipher, Barbarian, Paladin, and Priest (Magran).

IF this got increased to 25% . . . 1/4 of a 50% crit bonus averages out to a 12.5% damage boost overall and would make it nearly mandatory for any serious dps build and I would definitely make room for it on my Druid and Chanter too.

Do ciphers gain focus from overkill? That's new to me. Good to know.

Don't forget that a x% bonus to lashes is multiplicative while a crit bonus is only additive.

I think that this talent is way too weak (with 10% trigger) because it combines a higher crit damage modifier with low remaining endurance as a trigger. With a slow, heavy hitting weapon you don't need this once the enemy is at 10% - because the next hit will most likely end the enemy anyways. With light weapons a +0.5 crit damage boost will not add a significant amount of damage (+5.5 damage, meh). So it's unlikely that this will end the foe a lot sooner. This is not enough for a talent point. It might still be useful against enemies with a lot of endurance (dragons, drakes, eyeless, ogres), but for the rest it's a wasted talent point in my opinion. At 25% it would be nice though.

Has anyone ever done builds with bloody slaughter to try to take advantage of on kill items/abilities?

Off the top of my head classes that could benefit:

Kind Wayfarer: Get lots of finishing blows to use strange mercy

Barbarian with Blood Thirst

Rogue/Monk/Cipher using Steadfast? Twin Sting also an option.

Unfortunately I don't see a lot of weapons that do on kill effects and none with particularly strong on kill effects. So I guess the better option might be to focus on crit heavy builds using weapons like Tall Grass etc to use strong crit effects and give yourself a high chance to finish enemies. Also you'd want to use a Death Godlike of course :).

I might have to build something with this in mind. 

The items with the best on-kill effects are the Tempered Helm, the Executioner's Hood and the Mourning Gloves.

Still, I would never pick Bloody Slaughter (if it triggers at 10%). There are so many other talents which are better. It's even more beneficial to take Scion of Flame solely for your burning lash.

I know that he said that about Death's Usher (Death Godlikes' racial ability). I never saw this about Bloody Slaughter. 

@MaxQuest: can you check? That would be worth knowing. Death's Usher + Bloody Slaughter for the win! ;)

Bloody Slaughter is still the same in v3.05.

If you attack an enemy that already has strictly less than 10% endurance, you get a bonus 20% hit-to-crit conversion, and all your crits against that target get a bonus 0.5 to their damage coefficient.

P.S. Death's Usher uses 25% threshold.

P.P.S. Linking another related thread.

• Like 1

Bloody Slaughter is still the same in v3.05.

If you attack an enemy that already has strictly less than 10% endurance, you get a bonus 20% hit-to-crit conversion, and all your crits against that target get a bonus 0.5 to their damage coefficient.

P.S. Death's Usher uses 25% threshold.

P.P.S. Linking another related thread.

Does Death's Usher stack with Bloody Slaughter? I'd guess that it would. That would make hits with enemies at 10% pretty painful.

Problem is as Boerer pointed out the best on kill items are mostly head gear. So that would hurt that synergy a bit. But I guess it still might be worth trying a Death Godlike Kindwayfarer, or do a Kindwayfarer who focuses on using Tempered Helm. 

If an enemy has 300 HP (which is on the high side), it would have be at 30 HP or at less. If you have heavy hitters, many enemies will go straight from above 10% health to 0. If your hit deals 20 HPs, then a crit could finish off the enemy 1 hit sooner. Bloody slaughter increases the chance of converting a hit to a crit by 20%, but if you crit naturally, graze, or miss,, Bloody slaughter didn't make a difference. The 0.5 crit bonus sounds appealing, but for it to matter your hit would have to be really low, say 15 Hp and the creature has to be at the high end of the 10%. The high DR/HP fights where it has the most favorable conditions to shine, are beast heavy, so you'd still be better served offensively by picking beast bane. After re-thinking the extremely narrow band of usefulness, I re-speced my hirelings and my cipher MC is the only toon with it. 

Edited by MasterCipher

Does Death's Usher stack with Bloody Slaughter? I'd guess that it would. That would make hits with enemies at 10% pretty painful.

It does.

Although Death's Usher +0.20 vs enemies below 25% endurance translates on average into +1.66 MIG, which is a bit mediocre.

And Bloody Slaughter has the problem described by MasterCipher.

Overall I would probably consider this combination only on kindfarer paladin with sacred immonation.

• Like 2

Thank you for quantifying Death's Usher! I always felt a 2 MIG race that can wear a help was better offensively. If DEX and INT are important to a caster build who doesn't take a lot of damage, and you plan on wearing the best helms on other toons, I like it.