Mechanics: better on main character or a companion?

how do the 3.0 changes to athletics and survival factor in to skill choice for characters?

since lore on a companion seems to be only good for scroll using, how many companions should have lore?

Survival is extremely good now. Lots of nice free buffs. Since there is very little else worth using with tanks, I pump survival heavily.

I've been pretty unimpressed by Athletics now.

Mechanics can be on anyone depending on your play style. I don't use it on a main because I want to maximize their combat capabilities.

I would say most if not all of your party should have lore to some extent. Even 2 lore allows for the use of Prayer against Fear scroll. On very tough encounters having 3-4 party members use a scroll right away can be game changing.

I like mechanics on the main PC because I always want the mechanics person in my party on this ensures that. However, it doesn't really matter. If you have a favorite companion you can give it to them instead. Two other considerations:

- do you want your PC to be even more powerful? Athletics and survival directly help combat, but mechanics does not (I never use traps, at least).

- did you start with any mechanics skill points from your class or background? Most of the companions don't, but if you like the rogue one or cipher, they might be slightly better suited (less skill point investment needed). However you really want to get mechanics right away and you won't find those companions for quite some time.

One lore companion is probably enough, unless you really like scrolls. I guess more would allow you to cast multiple at the same time, but I doubt you will actually need to very often. You could have more study lore, but only raise them to like 4 lore. They can cast the lower level scrolls. For a really tough encounter, there is actually a scroll that increases everyone's lore by 3 and can be used out of combat.

Athletics and survival are both great! Everyone should have at least some in both. Athletics does not scale that well into the late game, so you might not want a ton, but it is really good for the early game and even more so for those with high Might stats or healing multiplier items. Around 3 or so is fine, really. Make sure to have at least 1 point ASAP to unlock second wind. I think survival is the best long term and it is hard to have too much of it. Again, put at least one point in immediately to unlock a rest bonus. For that reason, the colonist background got a lot more interesting and inns got less interesting.

Edited by Braven

except that the icons for inn rest bonus and camping rest bonus both show up....

Rest in caed Nua and add bonus from resting in wilderness - that is what i often do ;-)

"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event."

-Zurin Arctus, the Underking

except that the icons for inn rest bonus and camping rest bonus both show up....

Rest in caed Nua and add bonus from resting in wilderness - that is what i often do ;-)
Me too. The best inn bonuses only last 1 day so they can't stack with survival and the others are generally worse than the stronghold and don't last as long (two nights instead of three). Finally, resting at the stronghold costs nothing (you want to build it up for the quests anyways, so I don't count that cost). Edited by Braven