I have noticed that most companions start with at least 1 unique item, and I was wondering how good are they? I know for example that Eder's unique armor is a no brainer to keep as long as possible for the second chance enchantment in it but what about the others?  I am specifically concerned with the unique armors because I have been wanting to switch some of them out....

Also Is the night runner Armor worth getting for a rogue MC?

I have noticed that most companions start with at least 1 unique item, and I was wondering how good are they? I know for example that Eder's unique armor is a no brainer to keep as long as possible for the second chance enchantment in it but what about the others?  I am specifically concerned with the unique armors because I have been wanting to switch some of them out....

Also Is the night runner Armor worth getting for a rogue MC?

Companion armors are good up until you get full plate. Then they become less applicable when you get sanguine or scars or exceptional plate.

I mostly struggle with which armor goes with whom and how much DR people need for their roles.

Edited by Ymarsakar
  • Like 1

I find them underwhelming and typically sell companion uniques immediately for an early game cash infusion. Durance's staff could be useful for dealing with shadow type enemies in Act I, but a few strategically timed Fan of Flames spells/scrolls works better for me.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

The Paladin's armor has an enchantment. Increased damage reduction if you have low endurance. Could be good for a front liner until you find something better.

Unfortunately this is not right. It gives you +50% DR if your HEALTH is lower than 25%. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1. Aloth (Berathian Priest Robes [Raedric's Keep])
  2. Eder (Exceptional Full Plate [Crucible Knights HQ])
  3. Durance (Berathian Priest Robes)
  4. Sagani (Berathian Priest Robes)
  5. Grieving mother (Berathian Priest Robes)

Is how I do it, increasing the base properties through the enchanting system. Then again, I usually don't hunt down uniques for particular builds/characters.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

The Paladin's armor has an enchantment. Increased damage reduction if you have low endurance. Could be good for a front liner until you find something better.

Unfortunately this is not right. It gives you +50% DR if your HEALTH is lower than 25%. :)

Isn't that what I said?  (without giving the exact percentages).  Oh, is it HEALTH instead of ENDURANCE?  I never realized that!  That could make a huge difference for my low con Fighter Build, if so.  Does the "scars" armor work the same way?

Edited by Braven

okay then, if selling off companion unique armor, what armors should I give to:

1. Aloth
  2. Eder
  3. Durance
  4. Sagani
  5. Grieving mother

Early on, Eder would benefit the most from plate, full plate, some kind of heavy armor. Durance, Sagani, Aloth should all be in light armor -20 recovery or those berathian robes from Raedric area.

Hide armor is pretty good if you find unique ones laying around, as the recovery penalty is about 20%. GM can go light or robes/clothing if she is ranged, heavier armor if she is going melee/alpha pistol build.

Eder's unique armor is pretty unique, and I sometimes found it useful to put squishies in them. The ones that get primaried a lot.

As I play the game though, usually things happen which doesn't fit the ideal. So sometimes you'll get hit on the character that is wearing light armor. If that is the case, just change the armor and get some hatch/shield combos for that character. Until you can figure out how to prevent that from happening or just make use of it by dual tanking or spreading aggro around. Usually I go with medium ish armor, about 8-10 DR, as they provide some extra time to recover from mistakes.

Armor is something I change around the most on my party. There's just no ideal setup for me. Almost like weapons. I switch stuff around depending on what I fight.

Edited by Ymarsakar

I used to give my non-fighter/frontliner characters berathian robes for 2DR you only pay 5% recovery penalty and that seemed ok as a tradeoff but on my late playthrough I went full cloth on them and it was hilarious to watch my wizard/druid/priest chain-casting non-stop. You can still enchant clothes with +DR pretty much you trade 2DR for 5% recovery penalty. Another solution is to give them the usual robes but with durgan enchantement however I'd rather use the durgan on full plate and weapons since those guys profit more.

So for front liners I would suggest full plate armor, exeptional + durgan

For anyone else, casters, rogues, swashbucklers, ranged, etc... clothes exeptional with 0% recovery penalty or robes exeptional with durgan enchantement.

I'm playing iron mode potd with the above.

Isn't that what I said? (without giving the exact percentages). Oh, is it HEALTH instead of ENDURANCE? I never realized that! That could make a huge difference for my low con Fighter Build, if so. Does the "scars" armor work the same way?

Yep. It's the same enchantment.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods