What is considered "good" for end game defenses on a solo tank?

From what I can tell my end game defenses will be something along the lines of deflection ~130, fortitude ~120, reflex ~105 and will ~99. Are the reflex and will scores good enough for some of the big bosses (adra/alpine, etc.), with a little scroll buffing, or should I dedicate some talents to Snake's Reflexes/Bull's Will?

I'm not a big fan of respec-ing (not disparaging anyone who is), and though I'll probably make a save close to when I want to take a crucial level where I may/may not get these talents (so I can re-load and pick different talents if needs be) I'd rather know now what the best course of action is to take.

Thanks in advance.

My tanks currently have:

Me, chanter: 127/116/120/124 on lvl 14. That is more than I need in 95% of all encounters. Dragons are a different issue of course.

Kana: 117/110/120/114

Hiravias: 112/108/126/114

Pallegina: 102/100/128/112

With two chanters who have the Dragon Thrashed you really want to avoid to get mind controlled. ;)

If you ask me why I play with 4 tanks (or "tanky" characters): They are not pure tanks but also deal lots of damage - which basically makes the game supereasy.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks very much for the comparison, it looks like mine will be slightly on the lower side. I guess I'll make a late level 10 save so I have the option to change it up later if I need to, having extra sneak attacks (the other thing I'd be spending my talents on more or less) seems like it'd be more general utility in most cases.

I have to add that I use the outworn buckler (Pallegina) as well as little savior (Kana). So all my defenses would be -10 each without them.

I also use Redfield on Hiravias which also works like +3 to all defenses - but since it's a passive ACC debuff aura I don't take it into account here.

If by tank, you mean doing whatever is reasonable to get max defensive stats across the board, it depends on class. The paladin is the best. Hard to beat +27 to all saves which is very important for solos. Monk has an honorable mention - good, flexible defensive abilities and he has superior DR and health.

Not sure of the raw numbers, but my solo paladin was untouchable in 2.02. I mostly just switched out items with situational bonuses when I needed them. Since you do not need to share items with a party, everything is at your disposal. Has 5 less deflection now, but still the best when it comes to pure defense since saving throws are so important for solo.

If you are concerned about dragon fights, a shield will help with reflex, if you have sword/shield talent. Dragons use a fear aura which can be negated completely with either a scroll, a fighter talent, or one of the new soul bound weapons. I think there is a new item that grants paralyze immunity (though a boot item that helps with this is currently bugged)

If you are not above cheesy tactics, you could always retrain your character into a dragon killer and then retrain back after the fight. Could take talents like the beast killer one and defensive talents that would otherwise be too situational to consider.

Edited by Braven

If by tank, you mean doing whatever is reasonable to get max defensive stats across the board, it depends on class. The paladin is the best. Hard to beat +27 to all saves which is very important for solos. Monk has an honorable mention - good, flexible defensive abilities and he has superior DR and health.

Not anymore, with the latest nerf it will be +12 deflection +23 other defenses (with Deep Faith) once Faith and Conviction will work again correctly...

With ie mod you can correct paladin faith it also works on npc like pallegina. Then with a few items like outworn buckler and cloak of comfort and rings of deflection and protection her defenses go all into the mid 120s or a bit higher throughout the board at level 14. Equip ring of thorns instead of protection and little savior instead of outworn buckler and get yourself knocked prone for deflection and defenses at 220+ on everything (concelhaut crushing doom from your wizard basically). Then have your cipher if at level 15 cast mindweb.

But non player paladins now get a bonus per level on Faith and Conviction. It's not as good as the player's bonus (if he gains the right reputations) - but it's independent from the player's reputation.