Playthrough with customizeable Companion's attributes via Console Commands again

Gs11

Journey with customizeable(attributes) Companions via Console Command  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do You want have options to change companions attributes via console commnads, like before in previous versions of the game?

• Yes- it's major feature to my playtrough,make it happen devs :)
    • No- it doesn't mean a lot for me, no diffrence.

Question

With newest version ( I assume after updating to 3.0/WM2), changing the attributes of the Obsidian companions such as Sagani no longer works, unlike previous versions. While you can change in game with AttributeScore, any reload from a save sets the companions attribute stats back to default.  Apparently they are now picking up companion default attribute scores from a table somewhere on loading a save. Atfer patching  game discretly changed previous values of companions attributes modified earlier by console to default, so entire gameplay also changed...

Changing atttributes for companions with conosle  it was big advantage... Now we forced to choose npc and theirs stories or customize own party.

Personally I spent huge amount of time on writting attribute console commands to adjust my companions stats. I prefer playthrough with Companions, which You created, and with their intresting stories,dialogs.In that way, immersion, atmosphere is a way much   better,scripted interactions, influence on conversations etc.

At the same time I admire option to change their stats via console command and adjust to my game style, which is very important to level of difficulty of the game.Now I'm kind of stuck, couse whole game I was playing with companions,with modified   attributes at beginning , customize on that theirs builds, and now I'm forced to either create whole new team or completely change build of companions with default stats ,which it's pretty impossible , since PoTD, and prefered style requires specific build with related attributes, not with  just average 10-10 stats etc.

pls make it happen( no idea how much effort it demands, but maybe it would be little fast fix for devs and so important aspect for players) , this feature mean a lot for players and their playthrough with companions

Some quotes from another players, who looking for it also:

Everyone else, for whom playthrough with companions is major feature, pls support this request.

greetings

If it isn't hard to fix this, I'd also appreciate it being fixed. The reason is that being able to change the companion stats increases the replayability of the game for me. Custom companions aren't nearly as fun as the story companions, but I also like to try out new builds and parties with companions, and sometimes (not always) that requires changing some stats. (Of course, any bugs with the supported parts of the game take priority.) Thanks for listening!

Please make it happen..

For you its 5 minutes work.

I used to have a Grat "DemiGOD" Dwarf character with HIGH "Changed" stats .. and now... its just a .... little dwarf....sad.png

Being able to try out different character builds, and being able to experience the scripted companion's banter which makes the game come alive much more, are both things that greatly improve the game's replayability.

Thanks to the the 'AttributeScore' cheat command, we didn't have to choose between those two things.

Please don't make us choose... crying.gif

Edited by Gs11
  • Like 1

20 answers to this question

Hello Everybody,

Unfortunately this bug is not the easy fix we were all hoping for.  It proved to be more difficult trying to get this to work as it did previously. I am sorry to say that we will not be fixing this bug at this point in time.

Thank you all for your support and understanding in this matter. 

Sad to hear this, for me it's a huge inconvenience, since atfer patching  game discretly changed previous values of companions attributes modified earlier by conosole to default, so entire gameplay also changed...

now I could only start with whole  new team or change existing  builds of companions etc., which is pointless, if we talk about joy and consitency of the game 

I assume that, You give up on this, couse more important fixes on Yours schedule?

Edited by Gs11

Hello Everybody,

Unfortunately this bug is not the easy fix we were all hoping for.  It proved to be more difficult trying to get this to work as it did previously. I am sorry to say that we will not be fixing this bug at this point in time.

Thank you all for your support and understanding in this matter. 

It should still be possible to modify the in game values that is used to fix NPC stats. Unless, of course, Unity does not allow the externalizing of such things and one needs to decompile or open up some program coded files.

I was surprised back when they were doing retraining and companion stat changes (the companion stats were changed a couple of times as classes were rebalanced before White March 1 2.0), that this didn't already happen before.

The other hotfix method, would be to have IE Mod or what not, run a command console script to refix all the characters stats based on custom values in a text file, each time you load a save file. It's already feasible to copy/paste from the command line in game, but running a batch file program to run sequential commands in sequence probably needs something external, like a mod.

Another method, more aggressive, would be to allow retraining of npcs the way the main PC is retrained, with changes to their stats. Perhaps only available on POTD, and only after you finish some initial quest arc. Of course, that would raise the companion stats from a C - priority to something akin to Planescape Torment levels of customization content, almost.

I surmise that the save/load area change "optimizations" had something to do with this extra OC change to companion stats. The script or whatever they used before, only seemed to change it once per game. There must have been quite a lot of "aggressive" cleaning up of save game files since then, what with all these talent changes and what not working with old save files and retrains.

Edited by Ymarsakar
  • Like 1

In this case and further developing of conosole command, personally after full reinstall, I backed to play on 2.3  ... such a shame after buying WM2 and releasing 3.0 :banghead:

Edited by Gs11
  • Like 2

At least it's marked as a bug. That's already a step forward.

----------------

Interesting, what could that be, that made it difficult...

Even if AttributeScore from console has transient effect, it shouldn't be hard to add a call to a persistent method that commits the change to database. Something like .saveCharacterAttributeScore() should already be there, or all companions would have their stats being the same defaults after a save load, when their attributes are initialized.

Edited by MaxQuest

I would guess they changed the way the game saves somehow and fixing this 'bug' would mean to overhaul the save system.

If my assumption is correct, I think they made a good call by not fixing this bug, since a working save system is much more important than working cheat codes (when fixing those includes the risk of some saves breaking in the process).

After all, if they wanted you to change those values, companions attributes would've been included in the respec a long time ago already.

I hate to be that guy, but as long as there are gameplay related bugs I see no point in pushing the fixing of cheat codes if that takes a lot of time.

It's not that I would die for this, but it is strange and annoying that console commands are reset after reloading your game.

Here's hoping that maybe Obsids will find a solution one day.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Happy to support the community's attempt to get some attention focused towards fixing a useful (albeit not essential) tool that was strangely disabled with the most recent patch - expansion.

Fingers crossed.......

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

Strange, I haven't had any crashes with it so far.

Are you sure you downloaded and used the correct IEMod.pw.dll for your game version?

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell