As the title says, I was wondering what people have found to be the highest mechanics necessary now that the level/skill cap has been increased with White March 2.  I know back in the base game the highest mechanics people reported needing to find all hidden stashes and open all doors (including Odd Nua) was 13.

Is 13 sufficient for all of the WM content as well, or has anyone found they required more?

Thanks!

Yes, without.

11 base is enough.

+2 from gloves are fine, but you dont really need it, you will use it maybe 10-15 times through the entire game. And of course, you can rest for another +2 and then open all the locks and disarm traps - for example in Cragholdt Bluffs - there are maybe 5 difficult chest with traps.

In the lower Flames-That-Whisper Cavern, there are two nasty wire traps which on 3.01 I can't disarm with Mechanics 11. Other than that is has been smooth sailing so far, as far as locks and traps are concerned.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I got mine in Zolla's stash in the Endless Paths, not sure what day it was for anyone looking to replicate, I heard they changed the loot tables around with new patches so old info is likely incorrect. If you were looking to get yourself a pair, Caed Nua would allow you to easily rest until the correct day.

I don't remember seeing anything (before wm2) that required more than 10, though some traps required 12 to disarm, but those could just be triggered or avoided. If there is only a single secret that needs 12, it might be better to just use the stronghold rest bonus (or gloves if you find them), though that still requires knowing exactly where that secret stash is.

Before patch 3.0, this used to not matter since all of the skills were basically useless besides mechanics. However, with athletics and survival being much better (and central to some builds), it would be really nice to know exactly how little mechanic you can get away with. This is particularly true for those who play solo and must invest in it.

For those who say 13 is needed, what exactly do you miss out on by not going past 10?

Edited by Braven

I've just found a locked chest I couldn't open with 13 mechanics (required 14) and a trap I couldn't even detect, on the orlan's chest in Cragholdt Bluffs.  I begin to wonder if I will encounter more such things in the WM content.  It's worth mentioning that the key for the chest was right next to it on the orlan's body, but still!

Edited by WhiteKnighted
  • Like 1

I've just found a locked chest I couldn't open with 13 mechanics (required 14) and a trap I couldn't even detect, on the orlan's chest in Cragholdt Bluffs. I begin to wonder if I will encounter more such things in the WM content. It's worth mentioning that the key for the chest was right next to it on the orlan's body, but still!

You wanted the unlocking XP of course.

Before WM2 I found at least one lv15 trap (in Galvino's house in the secret room with the carpet). For chest/door opening I don't know what the max is (considering that some have keys), but for them you can have up to +9 bonus (gloves, rest, lockpicks,scrolls). 

I can confirm that there's absolutely things you can't disarm at Mechanics 13. I'd aim for 16 modded, really. Anything above that is going to be almost impossible to get on average anyway.

That's 16 with gloves, but without the scroll.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Specifically I am interested in locks without keys, and even more importantly, secrets. At least with locks, I can backtrack with a hireling, but I wouldn't know where to look for the secret (without cheating). It will be difficult getting enough mechanics and (desired) 14 survival with one character by level 16.

Edited by Braven