Is the new Athletics rework supposed to outright eliminate fatigue? I can understand decoupling fatigue from Athletics, but at the same time I would still expect to get tired after walking for hours or days on end.

BTW, why is Second Wind an activated ability? No other skill works that way. Why not simply provide some passive bonus to Endurance?

On the other hand, thumbs up for the Survival rework.

BTW, why is Second Wind an activated ability? No other skill works that way. Why not simply provide some passive bonus to Endurance?

Because then we might as well call it Minor Constitution. As an activated ability, it's a built-in healing spell you can - but don't have to - use in battle after ensuring you have a window to do so. It's a tactical choice. I like the way it works. Btw, all skills work in different ways: Mechanics has both passive (spotting) and active (disabling, trapping) uses, Survival is a passive activated on rest, Lore allows you to use actives (scrolls) just like Athletics...

I miss fatigue, though. Was its removal officially explained?

Edited by Rosveen

Because then we might as well call it Minor Constitution.

I don't see the problem with that. After all saves are derived from two sources, so HP could be based both on CON and Athletics. Or perhaps Athletics could increase healing rate or offer some minor bonus to movement speed. Just make it so it doesn't show on my ability tab.

I abstract the lack of fatigue by assuming really long journeys have small resting stops built into them. However you get your head around it, I really like the fact that there really is some point to resting and then heading to remote locations. Why have such great investments at Caed Nua to improve your stronghold and reap resting benefits only to make them pointless by having your people fatigued by the time they make it out to the sticks? I like the fact that resting bonuses no longer disappear just by walking. It made me long to get a chance to return home but often just forgo doing it just because of the fatigue of going back and forth. Even now, I don't head back *just* to get a resting bonus, but if I have a lot of stuff to pawn or things I need to do, I can rest at home and be refreshed for a few fights.

bother?

What's wrong with showing it on your ability bar?

The less icons the better. At the moment almost all characters got the Second Wind icon and it's just taking up space. Simplicity appeals to my sense of aestetics,

However you get your head around it, I really like the fact that there really is some point to resting and then heading to remote locations. Why have such great investments at Caed Nua to improve your stronghold and reap resting benefits only to make them pointless by having your people fatigued by the time they make it out to the sticks? I like the fact that resting bonuses no longer disappear just by walking. It made me long to get a chance to return home but often just forgo doing it just because of the fatigue of going back and forth. Even now, I don't head back *just* to get a resting bonus, but if I have a lot of stuff to pawn or things I need to do, I can rest at home and be refreshed for a few fights.

Agreed. However, resting once to get Inn bonuses and then resting the second time to get rid of fatigue and get Survival bonuses wouldn't be bad either from both 'mechanics' and 'immersion' point of view.

You don't get fatigued by fighting any more. 

I actually rather liked the fatigue mechanic.  I liked the idea that you couldn't go on endlessly (whether fighting or just traveling) without resting every so often.

I'd like to see Fatigue tied it to each character's Constitution with the higher one's CON, the longer they can go on without rest.  Of course, this would effectively tend to mean that the party would only be as "strong" in this regard as its weakest (lowest CON) member.  OTOH, tying this to CON would also serve as a significant inhibitor against overly low CON scores, since characters with very low CON scores would end up requiring the party to rest more often.

I suppose how it would work in theory is that one would be assumed to have a base period of time at 100% effectiveness (i.e. no fatigue, fully rested), based on a CON of 10.  And as with other attributes, each point of CON above or below 10 would increase or decrease that base period by X%.  Beyond that, for every hour since your last rest, you'd lose X (points or percent) off of your base time while in non-combat conditions, i.e. just moving around an area or traveling between areas, etc.  Or if you're in combat, you'd lose a significantly greater amount of X (points or percent) off of your base time.  And once your base time reaches certain levels, you'd start hitting fatigue thresholds, similar to those previously in the game, which reduce your combat effectiveness.

Anyways, just a thought....