Warning: Actual battlefield conditions are not ideal given repositioning and maneuvering. So numbers and dps will always wary.

I tested some top bows with a level 12 Ranger (but any bow user would do) vs a "average" unit (my tank down-speced for 85 deflection and 18dr across everything).

No abilities used, I just auto attacked for a minute with the bow and looked at how much health I chiped away from the tank.

All bows were upgraded to superior, 1 lash (shocking), and durgan refined except stormcaller.

Results over one minute of auto attack

Persistence - 761 damage

Cloudpiercer - 703 damage

Godagh Field - 680 damage

Sabra Marie and Stormcaller: significantly less under 500 and 400 respectively.

The crit damage on sabra marie is messed up as in not really working but that is a known issue.

I did this twice and averaged the numbers which you see above.

Hope it helps. I certainly know which bow I take for dragon hunting though.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Cloudpiercer is 2nd. If you attack someone from your party you won't enter in combat mode and Cloudpiercer will be able to proc multiple times, however in combat mode it can proc 1/encounter. Don't know if it happened in your test but a single proc can make a big difference. 

PS. Sabra Marie doesn't have the highest DPS, but when you confuse someone their dps will add to yours... Right now it's slightly less powerful than before 3.0 because it has a check vs Will and you won't be able to confuse every monster as easily as before.

Nice info. Persistence is just nice. Ranger + Predator's Sense + Persistence is great.

However: was Stormcaller's Returning Storm taken into account? Because I once had two similar rangers in the party. One with Stormcaller, one with Persistence. The one with Stormcaller was always a bit ahead in terms of total damage dealt. Maybe the character chart misses something? Persistence's wounding perhaps? 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm not sure Cloudpiercer is 2nd. If you attack someone from your party you won't enter in combat mode and Cloudpiercer will be able to proc multiple times, however in combat mode it can proc 1/encounter. Don't know if it happened in your test but a single proc can make a big difference.

PS. Sabra Marie doesn't have the highest DPS, but when you confuse someone their dps will add to yours... Right now it's slightly less powerful than before 3.0 because it has a check vs Will and you won't be able to confuse every monster as easily as before.

I know but I made sure to check the logs and it always proced once.

I was surprised that a hunting bow persistence was so high but I heard it was best vs single targets.

I was disappointed by sabra Marie, if it's anahilating worked it would be the highest or at least on paar but not now.

Borrasaine does not have rending like cloudpiercer so it is generally lower.

Borrasaine and sabra m would be good on a ranged rogue I guess because of the cc on crit effects. As for getting sneak attacks off of stun on Borrasaine I guess that is valid too. But that is mostly useful once a ranged rogue has death blows so it would be easier to generate the second condition for the death blows . for basic sneak attacks hopefully someone else applies an affliction.

For Ranger I'd still use stormcaller for cc or persistence for damage.

For a ranged cipher a good three weapon slot layout with quick switch would be probably twin sting, lead spitter, and either cloud piercer or godagh field in the final slot for prolonged shooting. And switch it out possibly vse a dragon for persistence.

Could you also make a test with a ranger and the Golden Gaze in the same way, but with Dangerous Implement? I would really like to see how that works out. It's difficult to measure because you never know when Exp. Vulnerabilities gets triggered and it would be way more effective with Driving Flight - but still.  :bow:  :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

To attack your party while it is in perma combat, just aggro a tavern and then don't kill em. Setup a choke point where they can't get through your tank walls.

As for persistence, I think they upgraded the Accuracy 3 and Damaging 3 abilities, to also give two bonuses. That ups their dps considerably, since 4 accuracy with 45% is pretty good. If it is in the hit range.

It's really hard to give up permanent passive stuns from Borresaine on Ranger sagani. Those accuracy bonuses from pets and what not, are pretty easy to stack.

Edited by Ymarsakar