With high stealth can you approach the enemies? Also a question about Rimecutter adn new Dagger

Heya! As always i have questions xD and i'm sorry for this  :p. Anyway as i read that enemies break engagement now and a Melee rogue have a hard life, i'm thinking about taking stealth at a very high value and using Backstab to start the fight some second later while standing near the enemies backline. Is this a viable startegy? or your rogue will get spotted fast even with high stealth?

Regarding weapons i'm thinking about going for Dual Wield annihilating Sabres, is true that 2 Rimecutter can out dps them? and what about the new soulbound dagger? is it good? and it can be cloned (don't know how, i read that you can clone one item late game)?

Thank you all in advance and sotrry for my english!

The new dagger is great but you can't clone it because it's soulbound. To clone items you need the Helwax Mold which is obtained from a Stronghold quest.

I'll let other people answer about Rogues as I never play them.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

2 Rimecutters can produce higher DPS than dual annihilating sabres, yes. It's because their speed enchantment multiplies and you get very fast. dmae per hit is lower, but damage per second is higher. Rember that all battle axes are annihilating. Just base damage is lower than sabres'. I don't know if you really want to spam rest until you get two of that axes though.

Very high stealth lets you approach the enemy and basically touch him before your circle turns red.

The new soulbound Dagger is great but it takes some time and efford to upgrade it - because it gets worse and worse each time you upgrade it until the last stage where it becomes a very good weapon. Unfortunately you can't duplicate souldbound weapons with the Helwax Mold. Every other item will work.

edit: ach dammit Andrea! ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

2 Rimecutters can produce higher DPS than dual annihilating sabres, yes. It's because their speed enchantment multiplies and you get very fast. dmae per hit is lower, but damage per second is higher. Rember that all battle axes are annihilating. Just base damage is lower than sabres'. I don't know if you really want to spam rest until you get two of that axes though.

Very high stealth lets you approach the enemy and basically touch him before your circle turns red.

The new soulbound Dagger is great but it takes some time and efford to upgrade it - because it gets worse and worse each time you upgrade it until the last stage where it becomes a very good weapon. Unfortunately you can't duplicate souldbound weapons with the Helwax Mold. Every other item will work.

edit: ach dammit Andrea! ;)

Helpful as always, since i want to play a light armored rogue i hope enemies don't turn on me after i exit stealth xD. Anyway this make Stealth now a good tool to position your rogue :)

Edited by helmino
  • Like 1

They surely will turn to you when you attack them. You should use something like Coordinated Positioning or stuff to sneak behing the lines, attack a caster or something and when things get hot change position with a sturdy fighter or something. Or use escape, Shadowing Beyond or Feign Death. Reinforcing Exhortation also works great on a squishy rogue.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The problem with having a character with a super high single skill is that you end up leaving others weak.  This isn't like before the Devs changed how skills work when pretty much all you needed was 3-4 points in Athletics and you could dump everything else into the skill of your choice.  Oh, you "can" still do it, but it can hurt your characters to not have a pretty decent Athletics skill, since that's the skill that determines how many HP your "Second Wind" ability heals.  Or the Survival skill, which can be rather nice if you get 4 points in it. 

And while others may play differently, I always like to have at least 3-4 points in Stealth for all my characters because I always have my parties move around in stealth through unsafe areas.  About 4 points of Stealth is enough to get you close enough to most enemies to be able to see them and just barely get them into range of xbows and bows.  If you want to sneak into melee range, you'll need a LOT more points in stealth than that, but it is doable.  Mind you, if you have a rogue who has that much skill in Stealth, he'll probably stink at Mechanics, so you'd probably have to have someone else covering that skill.  (I personally favor high mechanics over high stealth in my rogues, but that's a personal play style thing.)

Thank you for all your answers. I was thinking about going melee because i can't find a proper way to play a a rogue with Bow :( (while is cool i prefer non dot builds). It really dependant on the team for the condition unlike the melee counterpart :S

Thank you for all your answers. I was thinking about going melee because i can't find a proper way to play a a rogue with Bow :( (while is cool i prefer non dot builds). It really dependant on the team for the condition unlike the melee counterpart :S

Well, yes, ranged rogues :ninja:   do heavily depend on team mates to create the afflictions that sneak attacks require.  IMO, that's called team work.  ;)

Honestly, it's never seemed like a big deal for my rogues, since I usually saw their primary reason for being in the party was as the party's trapmiester, and combat second.

I recommend trying a chanter to draw aggro first, using his death chant aoe. Have the chanter pull the mobs so the back of it is facing your stealthed rogue. Or even just wait until enemies circle to flank the chanter.

An easy way in is to have a buffed wizard run to the place he needs to be, then teleport switch to your rogue. You can use that as an escape or as a setup. The wizard can also dish out some flame fans as a result of being that close too.

So long as your rogue doesn't do aoe damage, the enemies should stick to trying to circle the chanter for awhile.

Edited by Ymarsakar