Greetings.

I have been thinking about making a ranged Rogue that is inspired by Indiana Jones.

Any advice on how to do this ? I should obviously pick the Scholar background since it has a background specific to the historian, use a gun as my weapon and spend some skill points in Lore.

But other than that, how should I invest my attribute points ? I know I should have some points in Intelligence since this character is a smart but I don't know how much.

Any suggestion or advice that you have to offer is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Since there are no whips and the other weapon Indy uses is pistols I would go with the Ruffian Weapon Focus, and use sabres as his melee weapon (pretty sure he uses a sabre or scimitar in Temple of Doom, if so it fits).  As you said, Intelligence should be buffed for roleplay purposes, and it benefits some of the rogue abilities so I would focus on them when leveling up.  Remember: to be a Scholar you need to be from either Rauatai or Ixamitle Plains, as you can't choose it with other cultures.  

I would say Dexterity since Indy is quite light on his feet and has to outrun boulders, Perception since he needs an eye for detail as an archaeologist, Might not as much but he is pretty tough and punches people a lot, so maybe some though he seems to win by endurance in many of those fist fights rather than by overwhelming them, getting beaten up quite a bit so maybe Constitution.  I would actually consider a Fighter for Indy since he does go toe to toe quite a lot, but he also wins them by utilising dirty tricks quite a bit so it's a hard one.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Greetings.

I have been thinking about making a ranged Rogue that is inspired by Indiana Jones.

Any advice on how to do this ? I should obviously pick the Scholar background since it has a background specific to the historian, use a gun as my weapon and spend some skill points in Lore.

But other than that, how should I invest my attribute points ? I know I should have some points in Intelligence since this character is a smart but I don't know how much.

Any suggestion or advice that you have to offer is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

This is an interesting question.  First thing is, how far are you prepared to go on this Indy themed rogue?

Scholar is an obvious and playable choice, given that it gives you +2 bonus to Lore to start.  OTOH, I'm not exactly sure that I'd 100% agree that Indy was a "scholar" in the truest sense of the word.  Sure, he's technically a professor, but he has FAR more real world experience and knowledge than his father or his friend, Marcus.  And I'd argue that Indy might be more accurately represented by a background that gave +1 in Lore and +1 in Mechanics, since he obviously knows how to deal with the traps that have been set in the tombs he's robbing ..., er, exploring.  And the only two background that give +1 to Lore and +1 to Mechanics are Merchant or Scientist.  And in a way, you could say that he's a bit of a "merchant" since he does what he does for pay.

Moving on...

I know that guns are an obvious choice, given that Indy is armed with a pistol (and a whip) in the films.  However, IMO, pistols in PoE are horrible.  Why?  Because their range is terrible and very limiting.  (It's a damned shame because there are so many interesting pistols in the game.)  I realize that this sort of breaks with the Indy theme, but I'd suggest maybe going with crossbows.  Crossbows are gun-like, but have a completely useful and playable range.  There aren't as many good crossbows in the game, but the ones that do exist are pretty decent, plus one of the WM2 soul bound weapons is a crossbow (that looks quite good).

If you want to press on with pistols, good luck.  I tried to play a swashbuckler (fighter) using ruffian weapons, including pistols and blunderbusses.  But I ended up using other ranged weapons because the range was just too dang limiting for my playstyle.  (I like starting every battle with a long range volley from all of my characters using bows, crossbows, arbalests, and arquebusses. Then my front liners switch to their melee weapons while the enemy is sill running towards my position.  But that's MY playstyle.  Other players do things differently.)

Obviously multiclass monk talent, as Indy uses fists. That, combined with a pistol as second weapon set.

Cute.  Hadn't thought of the fists part.

Still, Indy does seem more like a rogue at heart.  Still, I suppose that one could play a rogue-ish monk, like strong on the Lore and Mechanics, using fists and pistols.

One thing that would help here would be a set of "armor" that might be classified as "robes", but effectively looked more like a heavy coat.  Something that made the character not look like they were wearing a glorified bathrobe and more like they were wearing a semi-realistic, stylish "armored" coat.  It might not be Indy's brown leather bomber jacket, but it'd still be an interesting change of pace.

Still, Indy does seem more like a rogue at heart.  Still, I suppose that one could play a rogue-ish monk, like strong on the Lore and Mechanics, using fists and pistols.

I thought he was suggesting a monkish Rogue who takes Novice's Suffering to boost unarmed effectiveness.

Trying to combine some of the fun suggestions made so far, how about using a pistol to deal an opening Backstab, then switching to enhanced fists for flanking attacks? Have to be within 2m to get a ranged Backstab (is that possible with high Stealth?), so this sort of tries to make use of the pistol's poor range while keeping its flavor.

• Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Trying to combine some of the fun suggestions made so far, how about using a pistol to deal an opening Backstab, then switching to enhanced fists for flanking attacks? Have to be within 2m to get a ranged Backstab (is that possible with high Stealth?), so this sort of tries to make use of the pistol's poor range while keeping its flavor.

I think it is possible. Escape, for exemple, does not break stealth, so you could teleport to behind the enemies when the fight begins. If it isn't possible, there is still Shadowing Beyond.