Stronghold already more fun!

Dear Obsidian, thank you for listening to the fans!

I've just started WM2 and already the stronghold is feeling better.

Lounging on the chair like old Lord Raedric while settling disputes feels really boss.

And with the new quest/plot-line involving the players claim to Caed Nua, I actually feel like there's reason to build the barracks and recruit people.

Ha! Good fun.

• Like 7

Indeed, great to see the stronghold get upgraded like this. An interesting new series of quests, the new details in the quests you can send the companions on and the interesting dilemmas all show Obsidian listening.

I'll confess I liked the stronghold already despite its flaws, but this makes it feel much more like part of the game world.

I'll confess I took a picture of my PC sitting in judgement because it looked cool.

Great additions but for a time tho, then it becomes the good old Caed Nua. It just gave a taste of what could have been if Caed Nua were center of the game's narrative or played a big part in it. If there'll be Caed Nua or a new Keep in PoE2 I'm sure Obs will do better.

Great additions but for a time tho, then it becomes the good old Caed Nua. It just gave a taste of what could have been if Caed Nua were center of the game's narrative or played a big part in it. If there'll be Caed Nua or a new Keep in PoE2 I'm sure Obs will do better.

Honestly, having a keep like this does NOTHING for me.  Not a thing.  I'd rather be a pure adventurer, roaming free through the land, exploring and looking for treasures and doing quests and so on, rather than having to administer some boring old castle.

I will say that what I've seen thus far does seem to be what I suspect some will see as an improvement, and that's ok.  My gripe is with the major challenge "quest" for ownership of Caed Nua.  It seems to come far too soon after you've taken Caed Nua and I'm constantly wondering how long I can put this quest off, because the first 3-4 times I tried to fight the big battle, I got stomped because my party wasn't of a high enough level and/or perhaps I didn't have enough allies, or whatever.  I guess I wish that this particular "quest" didn't get triggered until after a fair bit further into the main story line so that you're certain to be in a better position to deal with the situation.

• Like 1

Visitors are returning to the stronghold who I can't find (e.g. Geyda wants a prisoner for experiments, but can't find him -- I only saw him during his initial visit).  I read its a bug in another thread, but makes me feel like waiting for the next patch is mandatory.

Edited by blinkicide

I never got too disappointed about the stronghold. It was one of those areas of the game, like the abundance of houses that you couldn't enter in Defiance Bay, where you could more obviously see the budget limitations. I am thrilled that the game's success allowed them to expand and experiment with the stronghold, and I expected bigger and better things for PoE 2. My lone regret: I always wanted the ability to go chill at the top of the Caed Nua towers and check out the canopied forests below.

• Like 1

Honestly, having a keep like this does NOTHING for me.  Not a thing.  I'd rather be a pure adventurer, roaming free through the land, exploring and looking for treasures and doing quests and so on, rather than having to administer some boring old castle.

I will say that what I've seen thus far does seem to be what I suspect some will see as an improvement, and that's ok.  My gripe is with the major challenge "quest" for ownership of Caed Nua.  It seems to come far too soon after you've taken Caed Nua and I'm constantly wondering how long I can put this quest off, because the first 3-4 times I tried to fight the big battle, I got stomped because my party wasn't of a high enough level and/or perhaps I didn't have enough allies, or whatever.  I guess I wish that this particular "quest" didn't get triggered until after a fair bit further into the main story line so that you're certain to be in a better position to deal with the situation.

I understand that you'd rather be a pure adventurer, even if it was in the center of the main story, more involved in everything etc maybe you just don't like castle stuff or that its being boring.

About the quest, yeah it seemed to come too early. Maybe I could just put it on hold I don't know. I had only one ally in the field, there seemed to be 2 more that could be allies but I have no idea who those factions should be; maybe a faction from twin elms and one more from WM I don't know. I've done it towards the end of act 2 when I haven't even went to WM. Tho the battle was very nice experience.

I haven't gotten any disputes to settle. Do you get notifications about these in the Stronghold screen?

Probably you are too far in the game (Act 3?).

I guess it is why you missed it, so you should start a new playthrough in order to get these.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83669-pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march-part-ii-will-be-released-on-february-16th/page-1?do=findComment&comment=1770549

Most of the content is based on world time advancing, so you can get it just by traveling around.  However, quests are based on stronghold turns, so you may not see all of them, though PX2 will give you an opportunity to experience many of them.  Quests are also based on stronghold progression, so if your stronghold is very developed you will miss the lower-level content.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I understand that you'd rather be a pure adventurer, even if it was in the center of the main story, more involved in everything etc maybe you just don't like castle stuff or that its being boring.

About the quest, yeah it seemed to come too early. Maybe I could just put it on hold I don't know. I had only one ally in the field, there seemed to be 2 more that could be allies but I have no idea who those factions should be; maybe a faction from twin elms and one more from WM I don't know. I've done it towards the end of act 2 when I haven't even went to WM. Tho the battle was very nice experience.

Quillon, I won't argue that the concluding battle of the stronghold struggle (trying to avoid spoilers here, it's hard) is quite interesting, though my experience with it thus far was that you do (and can) need to put it off as long as possible.  First, to get yourself to a higher level.  And, second, only guessing at this point since I haven't tried fighting it again since I've been avoiding it to gain allies and level up, that if you have gained allies, the battle will become more manageable, maybe even easier.  (I don't know yet.)

As for my preference for a "stronghold", like I've said in previous posts (some, many months ago), I'd prefer a "stronghold" that was more of a place to hang my cloak from time to time.  A farm house in Dyrford or a townhouse in Defiance Bay.  Or maybe just a room in one of the faction headquarters, possibly with some privileges from having done so.  Nothing that requires actually running/managing anything.  Just a place to rest.  And in the example of a room in a faction HQ, maybe some occasional missions/bounties to do for one's patron.

Mind you, I love the big dungeon under Caed Nua, but there's no real reason that the two had to be tied other than for the SH's story.  The dungeon could have stood alone, like the large dungeons in the IWD1 free expansion (dang, I loved the Trials of the Luremaster expansion!!!) or the BG1 or BG2 expansions.

Anyways, it's all good discussion fodder. :grin:

I'm liking the changes to the stronghold, very interesting plotlines, dunno how it plays out later but it seems better at the moment.  I do think in the next game they should go for something like a ship instead, that you can sail around to other ports so that you can keep it near you as you explore (becoming a mobile base of operations, better for adventurers).  Or make the stronghold either a pocket plane you can access like in Throne of Bhaal or give it a giant portal you can use to travel between specific points on your journey.   Ooooo!  Or how about a giant floating castle that sails the seven skies raiding villages and towns by landing on them! :D

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I like that there are attacks in the courtyard now:

nS7kPIA.png

In 2.x I whenever I clicked "manual resolve" for an attack it played out in the Great Hall, which seemed silly.

Also, the fleshed-out companion adventures are a nice touch. We've got a complete list of them on the wiki now btw: Caed Nua#Adventures

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Ineth, there were manual resolve attacks in the court yard prior to WM1.  I'm 100% certain about that.

What I think would have been cool is if the devs created 2-3 small areas that were outside of Caed Nua where the player would fight these manual resolve battles.  The areas would be quite small (think "small" as in similar in small size to the random encounter battles in BG1).

I'm liking the changes to the stronghold, very interesting plotlines, dunno how it plays out later but it seems better at the moment.  I do think in the next game they should go for something like a ship instead, that you can sail around to other ports so that you can keep it near you as you explore (becoming a mobile base of operations, better for adventurers).  Or make the stronghold either a pocket plane you can access like in Throne of Bhaal or give it a giant portal you can use to travel between specific points on your journey.   Ooooo!  Or how about a giant floating castle that sails the seven skies raiding villages and towns by landing on them! :D

I'd say that a lot depends on how PoE2 is intended to be.

For starters, is it a continuation of the PoE1's player character's story or is it centered around a new PC, starting fresh at level 1.

Secondly, while the idea of a "stronghold" as a ship is interesting, it would require an overall story that caused the player to travel the seas a LOT.  Oh, I suppose in theory, you could have a ship as stronghold that never left port.  But I'd foresee a lot of people complaining about that, saying "if it's on a ship, why isn't the story letting the ship travel around?", etc., etc. 

As for pocket planes or floating castles, I hope not.  I prefer environments that aren't so hokey.  I realize that this is a fantasy environment, but that doesn't mean that it has to be outrageously so.  PoE seems to have been built around a somewhat more realistic fantasy environment.  I'd rather that PoE2 avoided any over the top, outrageously fantasical fantasy elements to its environment.  But I'll freely admit that that's my personal preference.

Ineth, there were manual resolve attacks in the court yard prior to WM1.  I'm 100% certain about that.

Ah in that case I guess the Random Number Goddess hated me... :p

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

The stronghold "dilemmas" (as the devs call them) are a nice callback to Nalia's keep in BG2, where you were also called upon to resolve various disputes.  As I understand it, the particular dilemma or attack you get at any given point is mainly impacted by prestige, so you certainly want that high.  On the other hand, if your security is too low then people can perish or flee before reaching your keep, so ignoring security probably isn't a great idea either. 

What I think would have been cool is if the devs created 2-3 small areas that were outside of Caed Nua where the player would fight these manual resolve battles.  The areas would be quite small (think "small" as in similar in small size to the random encounter battles in BG1).

Maybe have them take place in the Yenwood Field?

I just want to agree with this statement right here. Not to detract from others opinions, who seem to overwhelmingly like the stronghold aspect and also not to say that I don't think the keep is well done because it was pretty fun. However I like things a bit less grand. I don't really want to be a lord of anything or in charge of so much property. What about my explorer Priest that eschews worldly goods and just likes to wander and help those in need? He has no use at all for a keep.

I just want to agree with this statement right here. Not to detract from others opinions, who seem to overwhelmingly like the stronghold aspect and also not to say that I don't think the keep is well done because it was pretty fun. However I like things a bit less grand. I don't really want to be a lord of anything or in charge of so much property. What about my explorer Priest that eschews worldly goods and just likes to wander and help those in need? He has no use at all for a keep.

I think the obvious answer is to leave the stronghold in its initial decrepit state and ignore any and all things associated with it.

I will say this about WM2 Caed Nua:

My orlan looks even dinkier than usual sitting on that massive throne, and I am embarrassed by how much it amuses me.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

My RPG characters definitely lean towards "hideout" more than "castle" but this game also does a decent job of "Lord of Caed Nua" being a thing you can accidentally fall into. The statue proclaims the keep yours and you say OK, now visitors keep coming to ask your opinion and it would be rude to turn them away, now some **** is roughing people up pretending to be you so you've got to settle his hash, it's not your fault the duc says he has to pay you if he wants his castle back and he threw a fit. I'm not the LORD of Caed Nua, Caed Nua is just kind of this... thing. That I'm the lord of.

Visitors are returning to the stronghold who I can't find (e.g. Geyda wants a prisoner for experiments, but can't find him -- I only saw him during his initial visit).  I read its a bug in another thread, but makes me feel like waiting for the next patch is mandatory.

Apparently a known bug: 

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84580-bug-geyda-doesnt-appear-stronghold-for-second-time/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/74494-where-can-i-find-my-stronghold-visitors/