Hi everyone,

I'm gearing up to start my first playthrough of PoE and had a few questions. I've played several infinity engine games (just finished up planescape torment). I've also read some other forum posts so I'm familiar with most of the classes/stats, but obviously lots of things have been changing recently.

1). Class recommendation. Leaning towards Druid, Melee Cipher, Rogue or Monk. I'm less interested in "best" compared to fun/interesting/interactive. I tend to like fighter/mages, bards or thieves for a mix of melee combat and tactical abilities. Also please mention any 3.0 changes that might influence my decision.

1a). Druid - Are the elemental spells fun, and how is the shape shifting?

1b). Melee Cipher - Does it make sense to have 2 ciphers (might bring Grieving Mother)? How squishy are they?

1c). Rogue - Are they tactical or more stand behind target DPS?

1d). Monk - How frequently do you get to use abilities and are they interesting (cool effects as opposed stat bonuses)?

2). Pretend their are no stats, no classes, no combat. Which 5 companions would you experience the story with (feel free to include why)?

3). In your opinion are the 2 DLCs worth getting? Roughly how many hours does the DLC add, and did you find the new story worthwhile?

EDIT: I realize these questions are all subjective/opinion based and vary from person to person, but I find hearing multiple opinions helpful.

Edited by Stasis_Sword

1). Class recommendation. Leaning towards Druid, Melee Cipher, Rogue or Monk. I'm less interested in "best" compared to fun/interesting/interactive. I tend to like fighter/mages, bards or thieves for a mix of melee combat and tactical abilities. Also please mention any 3.0 changes that might influence my decision.

To each one it's own. I for instance find ciphers and wizards most versatile and fun. Druid, rogue and probably monk would be ok too, if I would main them.

(cose micro-ing your main is not boring original.gif)

2). Pretend their are no stats, no classes, no combat. Which 5 companions do you feel need to be experienced (feel free to include why)?

Again, everyone has his own preferences. But, I feel like Sagani, Grieving Mother, Aloth and Devil of Caroc have quite original, non-standard personal quests. And add Eder. Cose he's a buddy. Edited by MaxQuest

Best to experience all companions, if only just to finish their personal quests and then travel with someone else.

Actually that raises an important question. Am I correct that each companion has their personal quests as well as specific reactions to people, places, events? While I normally try to complete all companion quests available, I usually have a core party that I experience the important events of the game with. Trying to figure out who to include in that party was what I was thinking for question #2.

Oh sorry - I totally forgot number 3.

I think the expansions are absolutely worth the money. But I think that also depends whether you have to turn every coin over twice... or not. ;)

What I mean: I can totally understand if people who still go to school or university or don't earn much money for whatever reason think twice. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm not sure how long it took me to go through the expansions in terms of hours, but they definitely gave me a lot of playtime, much more than the usual DLC these days. Especially when you complete all the side quests and tasks, and not just the main story.

Actually that raises an important question. Am I correct that each companion has their personal quests as well as specific reactions to people, places, events?

Yes, you're right. Still, I generally freely exchange the companions from time to time, even if I do have my favorites. 

Edited by Ausir

1) Wizards (which can be built for melee) have a lot of interactivity in terms of influencing the enemy side of the fight, whether through damage, CC, or debuffs, and due to immunities and varying damage resistances the Wizard's approach to different fights can change up quite a bit.

2) Eder and Durance would be in there, due to the deep ties they have with the past events and lore of the game's local setting (Dyrwood).

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

1d). Monk - How frequently do you get to use abilities and are they interesting (cool effects as opposed stat bonuses)?

All the time. And my favorite is Force of Anguish which is supercool because you basically punch someone in the face with a nice, satisfying sound and they fly 10 meters backwards and land on their buttocks where they stay for over 10 seconds. :) 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'd go with either a Druid or monk out of that list.

Sagani, Hiravias, Pellagina,Meneha(xp2), Eder and Zahua(xp1). For me those were the most fun, both from a character and class point of view. Those are the ones I consistently mix and match to keep with me.

Durance and Grieving mother are well written but excruciatingly painful to talk too!

Devil of Caroc has a great story, fantastic writing even though it's short, but the end bit makes me want to cry....

Kana is a nice character but he just loses out to the top six. Aloth, well wizards are useful but I've never liked them.

For me the expansions are great, well worth it. WM 1 is quite combat heavy with not much story, WM 2 the writing picks up considerably.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

1) For melee I vote monk as your best bet for what you are looking for. Pure melee class with a lot of interactivity. Shapeshifter Druid is fun too plus gives you quite a bit of versatility. Rogue has the high potential to be very frustrating since rogues are very fragile and depend a lot on positioning. They are they most interactive melee class though in my opinion. I prefer ciphers played as ranged.

2) Eder is one of my favorite video game companions of all time. He has good lore insight, friendly, and has some really funny moments. Everyone has to experience Durance at least once. He's rather... prickly but has a unique story and is quite different from companions found in other games. Kana is your gentle giant that also chimes in with lore frequently in conversations. I think he's a bit underrated. Sagani is worth it alone for her banter with Eder. Devil of Caroc has interesting quips too.

3) I think the DLC is worth it but either get both DLC or neither since the two combine for a story arc. You can wait until you've completed Act II though before deciding if you like the game enough to buy more content for it.

• Like 1

1) I'll parrot what everyone has already said, Monk looks like the class you'd probably enjoy most. They're the most engaging of the martial characters with their wide set of abilities. A melee Cipher would be a close second for sure though, since they are effectively a martial mage.

1a) Druid spells are pretty fun, and of the casters I feel Druids are the best controllers in the game. Shapeshifting is very powerful, and is generally why Druids perform a lot better than Priests and Wizards during early game.

1b) Ciphers can made to tank, the Grieving Mother actually works pretty well in this role. Ciphers are only squishy if you build them ranged and wear lighter armor.

1c) They're very straightforward actually. Since they're generally just flanking targets and auto-attacking to them to death; maybe tossing out Finishing Blow, Sap of Crippling Strike here and there. About the most tactical thing you can do with them is turn off Reckless Assault and pull out a shield should they have any heat on them.

1d) Very often. You only need take 10 damage to gain 1 wound.

2) Durance and the Grieving Mother require you to adventure with them for periods of time to complete their companion quests. So bringing those two along is probably a good idea. Aloth has a lot of plot relevance so he's another decent choice.

3) They add a lot to the game, I'd say they're worth it.