Black Meadow is buggered.

Luagha

Question

Purchased Black March II, created a new party on path of the damned (as I recall the game becoming dull to hte point of autopilot after twin elms). Played to the Black Meadow.

On this map, all ranged attacks ceased being recognised as attacks by the game - the animations played, but nothing appeared in the log and no damage was dealt (i let some fights run for 5+ minutes). AOE spells likewise had no effect - the magical projectile animated and spell uses go down, but then no further affect occurs. The characters can attack with full effect in melee.

Figured something had gone wrong. Uninstalled, reinstalled and created another new party. Again, ranged ceases to work at the Black Meadow. Additionally, I then noticed that Kana's summon skeletons are not working in this zone (the tooltip notes in red that it's 'already used'), and he can only use his other ability (teh aoe stun) once per combat before it also greys out as 'already used' even after three phrases. These abilities are working in other zones.

After some reloads I managed to beat the bandits (and the trolls who the 'defender' bandit always runs off to fight, but i see that bug is already noted) with melee only, and lost he ability to manually save. Autosaves for changing areas were still working. Tuatanu and all shop NPCs stopped working (just giving a single line in the conbat log when clicked).

Restarting the game allowed saves to work again and let me talk to Tuatanu. My ranged attacks/kana are still failing in black meadow and still working everywhere else. Every time I return to black meadow I stop being able to save until I restart.

This was a quirky and frustrating few hours.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

Basically the same thing happened to me, too. (Ubuntu 14.04, GOG, WM1, WM2, 3.00→3.01 patch, normal difficulty.) At first, I thought that my Cipher just missed a lot. Then I realized that no ranged spell or attack worked anymore. Well, minor glitch. Save and reload and it will probably be gone. Quicksave didn’t work. “Save” in the game menu was greyed out. So, let’s try to rest. Couldn’t talk to the innkeeper of the Black Hound Inn. Couldn’t talk to anybody else really. Tried to rest in the wild. Tried to reload an autosave (only kind of save that still worked). Nothing changed. Finally, I sighed and uninstalled the game for now. Don’t want to deal with this stuff.

I’ll try a clean install after the next patch or so. It’s really really broken for me right now.

It was Windows 10, Steam, WM2 3.01, my cypher/monk mercenary/kana/eder/aloth/durance - everyone had missile weapons which were failing and could melee just fine. Though... uh... obviously I kept getting my arse kicked that way.

Hello everyone,

Can both of you upload a save and an output/player log via dropbox so I can take a look? 

If you are playing on Steam, try verifying your game cache. In your steam library, right click Pillars of Eternity > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

If you are on GOG, did you uninstall and redownload the 3.01 installers?

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. As soon as I engage with the bandits. My game wont allow me to save afterwards, Range doesn't work, can talk to NPC, and before the battle even starts. Itll give you the chat icon under the bandits instead of the attack one. Bandits will begin attacking you but you cannot attack back for a good bit.

GOG/Linux

FWIW: I did a reinstall with the non-patch GOG files and the formerly bugged save seems to be okay so far. (Didn’t play much, but tested ranged combat, spells, resting, talking to people, fighting in Black Meadow, quicksave.)

File order for reinstallation was:

1. gog_pillars_of_eternity_2.11.0.15.sh (GOG-15)
2. gog_pillars_of_eternity_white_march_part_1_dlc_2.5.0.7.sh (GOG-7)
3. gog_pillars_of_eternity_white_march_part_2_dlc_2.1.0.2.sh (GOG-2)
4. gog_pillars_of_eternity_preorder_item_and_pet_dlc_2.0.0.2.sh

Edited by Sir Ray of Light