Who else wants an arean either in PoE or PoE 2?

An arena in Pillars  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants to see an arena?

• I want to see an arena as a seperate module
    • I want to see an arena with a full quest line in game
    • I don't care if there is an arena in the game one way or the other
    • I do not want an arena in the game

I sometimes find myself just wanting to fight using the combat system and my characters without progressing quests or clearing areas. For me the combat is at least half the draw of this game, with everything that ties into it of course, leveling, items, etc.

I've really found myself wishing for a combat arena, either in the game or as a companion module. It would hopefully feature a little bit of procedural generation, so you'd never quite know which enemies and environments you'd be facing. If it was integrated with the main game there could be quest line associated with it that includes betting, match fixing, tournaments and prizes, stuff like that.

I know it is probably too late for this feature to end up in Pillars of Eternity but hopefully it can end up in Pillars 2.

In fact, assuming there is a Kickstarter for PoE 2 (coming soon? I hope?) where the keep was a stretch goal for PoE the area could be the stretch goal for PoE 2.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

I just read "Who else wants an arian" and my heart stopped beating. ;)

Anyway I would love to have an arena - but an arena in which you could fight other players. Not a problem with a turn based system - but what about this pause-thingy we have here?

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I don't care much about arenas sinces i'm not really into fighting. To me, it would be interesting only if well integrated into the world, with lore, quests, and freedom to use it or not. In the end, combat for combat is somewhat boring to me. I need combat to have a deep meaning, bound to the story or whatever deep purpose it could have. So i voted "i don't care if there is an arena or not". There is already plenty of meaningful fights into the game.

I'd just like an area where the enemies respawn every time you go back and there's a big randomised pool, so you go there and you fight spores and trolls, then next time you come back there's a couple of drakes with a xaurip army.  Even mix it up and have some of the human enemies with cool sounding names that you only fight once, like Shantysingers and Warpriests.

Too much fighting in the game already.

But what do I know? I like the role playing aspect and the reading dialogues the most anyway.

Maybe the next game should just be: Tactical Squad Based Murder Death Kill Level Up Get Loot Game from Obsidian Entertainment. Now with more blood, more explosions, and endless randomized dungeons. No level cap. Ride a dragon into space and punch all the gods in their stupid mouths!

• Like 1

Not at all interested in an arena - would hate to see resources expended on creating one that could be used to improve the main game instead.

I completely agree with this. Given the fact development resources (time, money, manpower, etc) aren't unlimited, I'd rather have them focused on proper content. Can't ever have enough quests and lore. But, as are most things gaming related, each one person has different preferences. Some focus on combat, some on story and lore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to vaguely remember an article I read somewhere that stated that further content development stopped with WM2, except bug fixes and various improvements. There's a VERY big chance I'm mistaken. Do not take my word for it.

Edited by Maydawn

I think it's a terrible idea and integrating a quest line would only make it seem like a requirement and strain credulity. Having a a contorted and contrived quest line arranged to support a feature I personally don't want to see included would, as wanderon says, mean less resources will go to things I do want. Aside from my personal tastes, I think it would be a bad design decision altogether. May the more compelling argument win, of course, and I say this without rancor, but I'll fight on this hill because I'm worried a misguided faction of the team might consider it.

Too much fighting in the game already.

But what do I know? I like the role playing aspect and the reading dialogues the most anyway.

Maybe the next game should just be: Tactical Squad Based Murder Death Kill Level Up Get Loot Game from Obsidian Entertainment. Now with more blood, more explosions, and endless randomized dungeons. No level cap. Ride a dragon into space and punch all the gods in their stupid mouths!

I laughed out loud at this one, especially the part about punching the gods in their stupid mouths. I actually don't mind the fighting in the game. I typically clear the levels of anyone who starts off hostile except for a few places like Raedric's hold because, while his people are hostile, they're just acting as guards, essentially doing their job by defending Raederic. So, for RP reasons, I avoided a lot of those fights. I don't mind the fighting. I just don't want to see some arena which just seems silly to me. On the other hand, I kind of see the bounties as kind of like an arena of sorts. I'm iffy on the bounties, but they have much more of a logical story basis than an arena. Edited by why
  • Like 1

bother?

I thought about that too some time ago. I would love to see a similiar arena like it was in TES Oblivion (maybe in a bigger not that friendly city). There you could fight yourself or bet on fights. Also a quest line would be nice. Become the arena champion or set an end to the cruel fights in the arena... etc. So please put something like this into POE2!

Edited by muflak

I'm a little surprised there are so many no votes.

This is all speculation but I don't think we really need to worry about an arena "taking resources away" from Pillars 2, as I imagine there will not only be a kickstarter but some of the money that was made on the first game will go into the second. Especially if it is made a stretch goal at 3million or more.

The way I would love to see the arena done, if we get one, is integrated into the world. There are definitely places it fits lore wise if you've read any of the extended lore stuff. I would love to see it be viewed the same way a major sport would be, important to the town it is in because it generates a lot of revenue but also because people root for local teams and super star fighters.

I would want multiple quest lines associated with it. You perhaps could overhear someone talking about the latest fight and then look for more info. Find out where it is and go there, pay a small amount of pands and watch a match. There you learn a little about the lore and the rules. There could be betting on matches, there could be quests involving fixed matches, rooting out corruption, helping with problems the people running the arena are having or problems particular fighters or teams are having.

Of course ultimately you would want to enter the tournament with your party and advance. There would be rewards along the way, from small amounts of pands, potions, and low level gear in the early fights, all the way to a large cash award and some unique gear for the top level fights.

After the quest lines are done you can always come back for random battles. Perhaps you could pick the general type of enemies you will fight, the terrain you will fight in, if there are traps or hazards, etc. It would give players something to do in the game even after beating the main story.

Personally I really enjoy the combat system. The role playing and characters and narrative are great too, but I would love to be able to just jump in and get some combat in at times.

Whether or not we end up getting an arena in Pillars 2 I just hope we get word soon about when the Kickstarter will be and all those details.

Thanks for all the replies!

• Like 1

I always liked arena-themed quests. Nothing too big or fancy. Like: The drow have captured you, kill some of the monsters they captured, then continue the game. Or: kill some of the monsters they captured, face the decision of fighting against a friend or not, then continue the game.

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed

I like arenas. I remember the one in TES:Oblivion, with all those ranks, it was a lot of fun. So yeah, voted accordingly.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

An Arena is not something I'm particularly looking for, but at the same time I'm not opposed. As long as it fits into the lore it'd be cool, but given how only one area in the game is really well developed lore wise it wouldn't be hard to fit it in somewhere. Even Readceras could probably work as, as I understand it, they have slavery. Perhaps those viewed as unrighteous are pitted against each other in arena fights?

• Like 1

I don't mind an arena in lore or in the game. I just hate the idea that they dilute the story by having the PC get involved in some contorted quest line that pretends it makes sense that he's suddenly dropped other matters and joined the gladiator circuit. Unless, of course, they go completely all in and have the story revolve around a gladiator. Having some half assed tacked on arena in a game that aspires to serious story telling with a coherent story doesn't make sense to me at all. To clarify things, I have nothing against arenas in a sandbox game, but that's not how I see Pillars and I'd prefer the story not go that way in Pillars 2.

To further clarify, I think having NPCs involved in the arena or having the story talk about an arena is just fine. I don't want the PC to be a gladiator, suddenly drop everything to somehow dabble in gladiatorhood, or through some ridiculous plot device become embroiled with a gladiator story line.

Edited by why

bother?

A Gladiator Pit? Test out your Adventurers before letting them join your band?

Get the choice:

A) Stand in the audience (Prospecting potential champions for your party). Be in control of the gladiator as the fight begins (permadeath, no consequences).
B) Sign up yourself.

Maybe?

I voted for "I don't care either way", but I think I lean a bit more towards thinking it could be cool and fun too :) (I care slightly, but not very much)

Edited by Osvir

There are good chances that i would never ever play in an arena with my characters, unless they are forced to, like it was in the underdark in BG2. The reason is quite simple. These fights mean violence, and are a matter of life or death. My characters generally already have their hands full just surviving their trials and nightmares, and would just avoid as much as possible adding to their pain, fears, and sometimes, loss of humanity. My characters always need good, deep reasons to involve themselves in fights. There is nothing like "for the love of the sport" for me. It's especially true for my current priestess in Pillars. She's terrified by her fate, the death she sees everywhere, to the point she barely manages to keep her wits.

• Like 1

There are good chances that i would never ever play in an arena with my characters, unless they are forced to, like it was in the underdark in BG2. The reason is quite simple. These fights mean violence, and are a matter of life or death. My characters generally already have their hands full just surviving their trials and nightmares, and would just avoid as much as possible adding to their pain, fears, and sometimes, loss of humanity. My characters always need good, deep reasons to involve themselves in fights. There is nothing like "for the love of the sport" for me. It's especially true for my current priestess in Pillars. She's terrified by her fate, the death she sees everywhere, to the point she barely manages to keep her wits.

That is cool, I like to see people really dig into the role play aspect of these games. If there were to be an arena with attendant quest lines I would definitely want to see freedom for character expression in it.

• Like 1