Cipher - New Spells available on level 15 are OP

Guys are you serious? Both two new Cipher's spells are just so OP^2...

Reaping Knives can be cast on few allies.. but even without more companions that generate you mana, focus stat raises up like hell. Use it once and you will never lack focus again.

Defensive Mindweb - seriously? You give that little guy avaibility to create tanks from your companions? Just set all your companions in tank's range (in my game Eder that has 100+ points in almost all defensive stat), shot once or twice to generate reqiured focus, use the ability and look what will happen :3 Ah! for.. oh, yes.. almost a minute with just 21 Intellect!

Great, my Cipher does not even need to do anything else than just cast spells without delays on Hard...

After downloading 3.0 patch I was like "OMG, what they've done with Focus cost!" and now, after reaching 15th level it's like "OMG, take this Focus from meee!..." :x

I'm just afraid about that teal guy with sharp teeth in the depths ON...

Here is the save and Screenshopt of a simple caster

https://www.sendspace.com/file/phx2kh

25177911712_27c75f01df_n.jpg111 by Gosia B, on Flickr

Edited by Dana

Well, they are endgame powers; they need to have some oomph (especially after the considerably lackluster 7th-level powers.)

Considering the Focus they cost, I don't think they're OP. It's fine for a Cipher to have Focus aplenty at level 15 (and they can't open the fight with those powers anyway; Wizards can open with their novafest right away.)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

"can't open the fight with those powers anyway" - I can only partially agree. With Stormcaller, my Cipher can cast any of those in first ~3-5 seconds of the fight (one up to two attacks). Utylizing Reaping Knives on barbarian companion or ranged DoC allows me to cast second spell in next ~seconds of fight. Then Ciper starts to generate tons of Focus every his or companion strike giving me +100 focus in next seconds of fight. I can't even imagine what will happen if I will add Time Parasite to that (I must try that combinaton).

Ok, maybe that feels good for 15 levle character but I still didn't start content from the last act and have just started second DLC. I don't play on Hard to just mop the floors from mobs. I expect challenge! :x But there is no at all for now.

Yes, reaping knives allows cipher to spam his spells. But is it really unbalanced? At this point all other casters have like 30+ spells total and they can spam them too right of the bat. Also, if the char you casted reaping knives on will get cced its wasted and dont generate any focus for you.

As of defensive mindweb - you need be very close to cipher for it to work so it makes your party vulnerable for AOE and puts your melee or ranged chars out of position.

I think these spells are fairly balanced considering their level and focus cost.

• Like 1

Ok, maybe that feels good for 15 levle character but I still didn't start content from the last act and have just started second DLC. I don't play on Hard to just mop the floors from mobs. I expect challenge! :x But there is no at all for now.

This is a problem with the game not being balanced for completionist runs, and having a wide gap in power level between completionists and non-completionists. The game was designed to be beatable by people who only do the critical path with no side quests. The level scaling options roughly take the expansions into account, but no more. "Hard" difficulty was always a steamroll for completionists and, at high levels, PotD is too.

That's not the powers' fault. The game needs a scaling option for completionists.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That's right. After Act I even PoTD becomes quite easy if you have a full party. I just steamrolled Cragholt Bluffs and Concelhaut. I think I had to rest once because of low health on a squishy. That's not the fault of my party - I just think my level's too high because I always do every stupid quest and task I can find.

Maybe you will need those OP powers badly against whatever awaits you in the second part of the expansion. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods