Chanter and Intelligence

Hi guys!

I don't understand the ingame explanations for the chants and invocations ... which are not clear, because they don't tell how the Intellect attribute affects them.

INT affects the "Linger" duration of chants. - Okay!

INT affects the AoE of invocations. - Okay!

INT affects the AoE of chants ...does it or doesn't it? - What is the base "Foe Aura" range?

INT affects the effect duration of chants ... somehow. - How?

Come, Come Soft Winds of Death
  Foe Aura: -6 Endurance over 6.0 sec

That is with INT 10. And with INT 19, which increases duration by 45% and AoE by 54%, it is:

Come, Come Soft Winds of Death
  Foe Aura: -6.6 Endurance over 6.9 sec

That is less damage over time ... isn't it? Or how is it calculated?

Where does the increase of 0.9 sec come from?

Why does changed Intellect affect the damage? And not only changed Might?

If raising Might, a +24% because of Might 18 also affects the damage. From -6 Endurance to -7.4 Endurance.

Dull the Edge, Blunt the Point
  Foe Aura: -10% Slash, Pierce Damage for base 6.0 sec

That is with INT 10. And with INT 19 it is:

Dull the Edge, Blunt the Point
  Foe Aura: -10% Slash, Pierce Damage for base 6.9 sec

The increase of the duration is 0.9 sec and not 2.7 which would be 45%.

The increase of the "Linger" is 0.9 sec, which is 45% of 2.0 sec.

The duration of summons is not affected.

Where is all this explained in a good way?

Edited by Merina
  • Like 1

Changed the values above to a base of MIG 10 and INT 10. The chanter I've started with has MIG 14 though.

The combat log isn't too helpful ... since it doesn't display details if hitting multiple enemies.

On a single enemy, for a critical hit it says: -7.5 Endurance over 7 sec. I cannot explain the -7.5 Endurance, if it's -6.7 for normal hits. -6.7 is a rounded -6.0 +12% for MIG 14. Where does the +50% increase from crits go? Could it be -6.0 plus a doubled MIG damage bonus if it's a crit? -6.0 + 2*12% = -7.44 rounded to -7.5?

The 7 sec could be base 6.0 sec of the chant effect plus 1.0 sec from a 50% crit increase of the Linger 2.0 sec base.

For a graze, it says -5.3 Endurance over 5 sec. Again, the reduced damage is not a typical -50% for grazes. It could be the -6.7 for normal hits reduced by two times the MIG 14 bonus of 12%. -6.0 +12% = -6.72 for this chanter with MIG 14, and a graze then is -6.72 minus two times 12% = -5.28 rounded to -5.3?

The 5 sec could be base 6.0 sec of the chant effect minus 1.0 sec from a 50% graze decrease of the Linger 2.0 sec base.

Edited by Merina

Intellect is great for Chanters. I am unsure why you aren't seeing a difference in numbers. The way it works is complicated, but:

Duration:

A chant Phrase has 2 parts. It has a cast time and a linger time. The first level ones (the ones you listed) have a 4 second cast time, and a 2 second linger time. Intellect increases the linger time, but has no effect on cast time. So, to keep it simple, if you have a +50% duration increase from intellect then you will have a phrase with a 3 second linger time. Once your cast time on your first phrase is over, you will automatically start casting the second phrase you have set up, and the linger from your first phrase overlaps. It should look something like this.

"-" indicates cast time and "_" indicates linger. "^" doesn't mean anything. I am on a tablet and can't get spacing right so used it instead.

P1) ----__

P2) ^^^----__

If you only have 2 phrases composing a chant then the first phrase will repeat upon finishing the second phrases casting. With linger you have around 75% uptime of both chants. It should only be 50% uptime (where your duration would be +0%) at 10 intellect.

AoE:

If you hover over your phrase on the quick bar you should see the AoE size. At 10 intellect you should only see a single circle. That is the base AoE size. At a higher intellect you should see a lighter circle outside the base AoE circle. That lighter circle is what your intellect bonus adds. You may have these AoE circles disabled in your options menu depending on the difficulty, but I recommend you at least eyeball it once to get an idea on a first play through with your chanter.

I hope this helps. I agree the combat log can be convoluted when dealing with some abilities. How dots work in this game is odd to say the least.

Edited by Ganrich

Linger = overlap of chants is a simple concept that is clear. I didn't ask about it. ;)

Hovering over the chant quickbar is helpful. It's easy to forget about those circles that are displayed in non-Expert mode. I've loaded an old save ... and it seems the circle that is displayed has a 4.0 m radius for INT 10. Let's hope the "Foe AoE" really is the same area but only affecting foes. It seemed to me as if some nearby enemies were not affected by the chant. Hovering over them didn't display the chant being active on them.

Perhaps somebody else knows more ... also about what I've written in the second post.

It's not affecting them if the chant didn't hit them. There's a roll every time a chant's effect gets applied on foes.

Because the base radius is already quite big, high INT and also Overseeing (+10%) and The Voice of the Mountaintop (+20%) do a lot for your AoE. Those % numbers apply on the radius, not the acreage of your AoE. So let's say you have 20 INT and an overseeing item and th Voice of the Mountaintop then the radius will increase from 4 m to 6.4 m - which is awesome. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

voice of the mountaintop does nothing; well, almost nothing.

check it for yourself.

roll over a chant phrase with your chanter... that will show the the radius.

now equip the VOM amulet.

see any changes?

it's a *tiny* increase to max range

same with overseeing, btw.

The problem is that the base chant radius is too small.  effects that give "+20%" only act on that tiny base radius, and so the effects are minimal.

basically, VOM increases radius about the same as if you added 1 point of int.  that's it.  overseer even less.

bottom line... don't waste your precious equipment slots on overseer or VOM.  boost your int, or use defensive items instead.

Edited by Ichthyic

Hey, it's better than the druid's aoe regen heal radius...

I tried aura meter micro with paladin. Didn't like it. Not something I pay much attention to .Chanter is way up in the midst of things anyway, not a big deal given how the tactical fight goes.

The combat log isn't too helpful ... since it doesn't display details if hitting multiple enemies.

Clicking on that entry doesn't expand it? Usually does for aoe hits.

Intellect increases the linger time, but has no effect on cast time.

That already addresses the question of duration for chants. 6s for death chant is 4s +2s. INT only affects the last part, so 50% duration won't increase 6s to 9s. 

As for dots, increasing the duration and the might, generally increases the overall damage over time. Because int increases duration, so it can add an additional proc to the dot. And might increases the damage of each dot proc.

Most spells like cipher burn, calculates total damage of dot damage over x time. But I think death chant is still going by the old formula, which means it is -6 endurance damage each tick for x seconds. So instead of 6 damage every 6 seconds, it's more like 6 damage every 1-2 seconds, that lasts for 6 seconds. I would have to test it recently to see what's been going on.

Edited by Ymarsakar