Item variety balance

Does anyone else feel that the game offers a much larger variety for certain item categories and much smaller for others?

I mean I have found far too many unique Rapiers, Flails and Stilletoes in comparison to any other weapon type......e.g I have found only one unique Battle Axe in the whole game and I believe only one unique Sword but quite a few unique sabres. Found only one unique Great Sword but multiple unique Estocs and no unique Morning Stars or Pole Axes etc etc.

AFAIK the loot in this game is hand placed, at least the major items.......so that's it then I suppose.......or has anyone had a different experience? If not then, do you think that item variety could be balanced in a better way?

You are correct, you can look up the various weapons on the wiki, it's quite outdated in regards to the DLC content though. This is somehow mintigated by weapon focus talents having several picks rather than just one, so a character taking ruffian for clubs would also end up proficient with sabres etc. There's also the new soulbound weapons which are universal (they work with any weapon talents).

Also weapons can be enchanted so you could create something for the weapons which lack good options yourself.

Edited by falchen

You are correct, you can look up the various weapons on the wiki, it's quite outdated in regards to the DLC content though. This is somehow mintigated by weapon focus talents having several picks rather than just one, so a character taking ruffian for clubs would also end up proficient with sabres etc. There's also the new soulbound weapons which are universal (they work with any weapon talents).

Also weapons can be enchanted so you could create something for the weapons which lack good options yourself.

Yea but there are certain attributes that can't be enchanted :(

If I want to role play a barbarian with a morning star, I dont have any decent options. And I indeed want to play a morning star wielding juggernaut but there are no decent morning stars in this game. 

On the other hand there are far more rapiers, flails and stilletoes in the game, they are just sitting in my stach, even if I wanted to use those items, I won't even be able to try them all as there are too many of them. Have also found 4 or 5 unique flails they are all sitting in my stash, haven't even equipped half of them..... :(

Edited by Brimsurfer

I would be happier if there weren't all these fantastical super weapons at all and you just had the amazing variety of weapon types all relatively grounded in reality with the great upgrade system (minus the elemental enchantments).

I prefer the majority of strength and special features of my character to come from my characters and not their gear.

I realize my opinion is not widely shared and is probably the least popular style of itemization in gaming.

The first two things I would mod in this game if it had an editor would be:

1. Remove around half the fights in the game.

2. Remove almost all magical weapons and armor.

• Like 3

Yea but there are certain attributes that can't be enchanted :(

If I want to role play a barbarian with a morning star, I dont have any decent options. And I indeed want to play a morning star wielding juggernaut but there are no decent morning stars in this game. 

On the other hand there are far more rapiers, flails and stilletoes in the game, they are just sitting in my stach, even if I wanted to use those items, I won't even be able to try them all as there are too many of them. Have also found 4 or 5 unique flails they are all sitting in my stash, haven't even equipped half of them..... :(

Quick look at the wiki suggests there's a health draining morningstar as well as a stunning one.

Does anyone else feel that the game offers a much larger variety for certain item categories and much smaller for others?

I mean I have found far too many unique Rapiers, Flails and Stilletoes in comparison to any other weapon type......e.g I have found only one unique Battle Axe in the whole game and I believe only one unique Sword but quite a few unique sabres. Found only one unique Great Sword but multiple unique Estocs and no unique Morning Stars or Pole Axes etc etc.

AFAIK the loot in this game is hand placed, at least the major items.......so that's it then I suppose.......or has anyone had a different experience? If not then, do you think that item variety could be balanced in a better way?

I imagine it's an aesthetics thing. Rapiers and sabres just fit the game's general aesthetics better, so you find more of them to incentivize you to use them.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

y'know, when you look at the actual lists of unique weapons in the core game, things is pretty even.  the genesis poster mentions great swords as an example o' paucity.  our experience were different. the third unique weapon we found in the game were justice... and tidefall, arguably one of the best weapons available in the base game, were discoverable at mid levels. there is a great sword for sale in dyrford... which we could never afford in the beta, but we would stare at it longingly.  also, one o' the vd weapons is unique, rather than just offering a unique name.  great swords is actual one o' the better represented categories.  

sure one category may have three uniques and another has four, but the the spread is good... is technical good.  the thing is, a few weapon categories have their uniques backloaded.  pollaxes got three uniques, but two is only gonna be available late in the game.  there is three unique battle axes, but one is available from azzuro, so you may never even get a glimpse o' it.

for the most part, the spread is good, but is tending towards backloading. hatchets and maces is particular bad as there are only two uniques and the seconds is late game.  a couple categories really could use some help with a few earlier options.

HA! Good Fun!

ps morningstars is a particular weird category.  there is 3 uniques.  one is an azzuro item, so good luck.  one is available through the storybook cutscenes, but it is possible to miss AND you need a party member with a 16 (?) con score.  the last morningstar is found so late in the game as to almost be a joke.  

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I must completely disagree with the OP. Both wiki and my gameplay experience suggest that the spread is pretty even, so you can choose any weapon you like and find at least a decent unique. Morningstar are trouble some, that's true, but you get one in the main quest in the middle of the game. I see other issue: while it's great that the "no trap builds" concept has been succesfuly introduced into the game, with this frequency of finding uniques they start to feel less...well, unique. Guess it's difficult to hit the sweet spot.