The Great Reset

phimseto

Question

Some combination of finishing The White March 1 and Act II has done something of a GRAND RESET of my game. The set-up: the only Act II item left on my plate was the Duc's hearing. I took the opportunity to finish up White March Part 1. I immediately noticed a problem upon exiting Durgan's Battery post-completion: the map had basically reset itself as had elements of Stalwart Village. I was able to interact with people who behaved like I had won the day, but at the same time other events had reset like the dwarf and the thieves posing as priests and a group of ogres menacing the west edge of town. Returning to Caed Nua revealed the angry villagers (though they disappeared after a couple of visits) and the messenger beckoning me to meet the Marshal in the inn (he's still hanging around). 

This morning, I discovered that the rabbit hole was deeper than I thought. First, I discovered that Stormwall Gorge had partially reset, fog of war and all, though the temple was now accessible and the gorge drained. Figuring that I wasn't alone in the world on this, I decided to kill some time before another patch by banging out some levels of the Endless Paths. When I got down to level 8, I discovered once again that the entire level had reset, complete with vampire overlord. Ack! At that point, there wasn't anything for me to do but write you and share my save file (just inside the Great Hall, where you can see the messenger bug for yourself). I also added a "before" save if that would help for comparison. Please let me know if you need anything else. Good luck!

Save file (zipped) post-White March & Act 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B11c0N5NsFfObWVManczOEs2elE

Save file (zipped) pre-finishing White March & Act 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B11c0N5NsFfOSVpGalpDWFVod2c

Edited by phimseto

17 answers to this question

I am pretty sure I have a save right before I did the White Forge Battle. Let me take a look. And I *think* the Hadret House save is to let her know the third/final Leaden Key item, but it might be one where I tell her that I have an invite for the hearing. Either way, it's at the tail end of that quest, not the beginning. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case! I may have an earlier one. Let me know if that's what you need. 

Will edit once I've hopefully found the save file that you are looking for.

EDIT: Carelessly made a new post in hurried effort to get the link out! :-D 

Also, to clarify my timeline: 

- Got the Hermit of Hadret House up to having an invite for the hearing.

- Went off and finished The White March, first returning to Stalwart and then Caed Nua (as described in the OP). 

- Then went to First Fires and attended the hearing, which reminds me of another reset bug - as I approached Hadret House post-assassination, right outside there I got the flashback again about the person talking with Thaos about having self-doubt and wanting to leave the order.

- After beginning Act III, returned to Caed Nua to switch out characters and then headed to the Gorge (as described above).

Edited by phimseto

It sounds like I've hit upon at least a couple of bugs that other people have gotten, but I haven't seen others get the major reset like I have. I'm curious if you have been able to replicate the bug and, if so, identify the trouble spot(s). I don't envy you the task, so thanks again!

Wow. Glad I've been so zealous about saving, even if it means I have a ton of files. If you mean the door to the battery itself, yes - I have a save right before I tried opening it. That's here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B11c0N5NsFfOMERBdm1VQ0Z5X00

Just in case it helps, I've also included a save that I am pretty sure is post-Claban Rilag but before I went to Hadret House to kick off the "get approval to go the hearing" portion of Act II. This would also be before I opened the door to the battery.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B11c0N5NsFfOQzhWT0JvcGtRSzA

Also, I am on a different computer from last time and used WinRAR to zip the files. That shouldn't be an issue, but just in case you have any problems trying to get the zips to open.

Finally, one last thing. Even though it sounds like the bug is tied into the White March somehow, I did want to make sure that you saw this earlier post (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84549-one-quest-too-many-ie-crucible-knightsdozens/?do=findComment&comment=1778254) about another potential issue. I don't know how or why it would connect, but just in case.

Edited by phimseto

Hey phimseto,

We fixed the issue that was causing the problem which will be in the next patch, however this won't be a retroactive fix. You will have to load up an older save and do some stuff over again. Sorry!

On a plus side. I loaded up your save before you entered the battery and I was able to complete it with no issue. 

Thank you for your support and assistance! 

• Like 1

Great news! Are you saying that I have to use the save before I enter the battery for the first time or are any of the saves after that point good, such as the one right before the white forge battle? It will not be the most horrible thing in the world if I have to do the battery over again but obviously it would be nice also to not have to do it over completely.

If you are at liberty at all to say, I would be interested in hearing about what the problem was at least in layman's terms.

Thanks for all your help! Also, please allow me to pitch you this suggestion, too: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84501-question-about-petsrequest/?do=findComment&comment=1777753

I completed TWM1 yesterday, but I haven't rested outside the White March areas yet. Should I hold off until patch 3.02? What's the chance that I'll have areas resetting too? (BTW, good thing I haven't started the Endless Paths yet).

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Looks like I have the same issue somehow.  I had all my maps reset after completing white forge part 1.  I'm on version 3.05.1186, Steam version, with both expansions installed.

Unfortunately, I don't have saves from before the issue except for a long time before hand.