The future of PACG-digital (?)

Hi there,

I know, it may be a bit early to talk about things like this, but are there already plans about the future of this game?

I mean... if Pathfinder is a success (and I think it will!!!), will you also adapt the other installations of the game (Sword & Shakles and Wrath of the Righteous (and Mask of the Mummy when it comes out))?.

And also, would there be a possibility (in the far far future probably...) to bring out the digital game close to the printed version (e.g. two or three month after)?

I think that would be more than great, but I could understand, if there are some difficulties. But then again, it should be possible to adapt the mechanics to the later installments of the game (with a couple of tweaks here and there... there are a couple of new things in the other games).

So... Are there any plans or ideas? I mean, plans and ideas which you could (and would) share with the community? :)

We want to do all of them! I personally have a love of WotR, and am an avid tabletop player so, ALL THE THINGS.  New mechanics, cards, scenarios, etc, need to planned and placed carefully, and tested extensively.  Things that look simple or just a 'tweak' on paper sometimes have deeply complex implications elsewhere in the game and game code.

Don't worry we'll let you guys know when stuff happens! For now watch the stream (http://www.twitch.tv/obsidian) today at 4pm PST! I think you all will have plenty to be excited about.

Oh uh, I probably should note: I'm one of the Systems Designers on the team.  I'm a bit quieter but, I'll try to pop in more!

• Like 5

Never tell me the odds! I probably wrote them

That Cat is so awesome, I'll have to show the wife. She thinks the internet was created for Cat videos and pictures.

I do hope to hear and see more of the devs chatting with us. Not a crazy amount, but every now and then. I know it's tough when you don't have and/or can't give answers.

Finally, I'm looking forward to seeing the twitch channel so much I actually arranged to leave the lab early today! Hot diggity!

• Like 2

bother?

Im not sure if this was brought up in the AMA (dont remember seeing it in there), but if there are any major errata changes for a pathfinder set that come out that could effect the way the digital version would work, will the digital version be updated to include those erratas?

Can you be more specific?

With any physical game transitioning into a digital format there are changes that are made, it's just the nature of the change of mediums. You saw Stride during the stream which was one such example.

Side note: I have a tendency to be super vague unless you ask specifics with questions, mostly because I am still learning what you guys have concerns about and want to hear from us about.  

• Like 1

@Hassifa good question! Indeed, I don't think it was asked in the AMA or on the stream. From the stream, we could tell that at least some errata had been implemented. Detect Magic had a recharge check of 4 rather than the printed cards' hilarious 14, for instance. I'd also be shocked if minor card type errors, such as a Bugbear having the goblin trait or Scorching Ray having the basic trait or the Bastard Sword +1 (but no other bastard sword) missing the 2-handed trait, weren't fixed as well.

@LadyKaieta Here's one example of official Paizo errata that I'd be curious to know if it made it into the game:

The Amulets of Mighty and Fiery Fists originally said "for your strength or melee check." This was changed to "for your combat check." Pre-errata, Sajan technically couldn't use them when rolling Dexterity for his combat check (though I imagine many players did that anyway at home). Post errata, he can.

OH! Yes there are changes like that for exactly that reason! We've been working closely with both Paizo and Lone Shark to go in and fix some of the balance, wording, and other issues from the physical game. It's actually been great being able to play the physical card game along side building it in digital, it's let us see where we can make improvements and re-balance etc. 

In fact...that's a good chunk of my job...

Seriously, my office floor was covered with cards for about a week, had to dance to get to my desk. The wall was too, sticky notes with paperclips are awesome.

Edit: I should also note I can't talk about SPECIFIC changes just yet just that there are. 

• Like 3

I was more thinking if there were more errata updates in the future.

For example, if there was another change like Borissimo suggested that was made after the app was released, would the developers update that in the app if it was important enough?

• Like 3

The Rise of the Runelords base set debuted in August 2013, nearly 2.5 years ago, and Paizo has been working on the game continuously since then. I'd be shocked if any errors on the magnitude of Amulet of Mighty Fists have gone unnoticed during all that time. It seems like all the major errors with a base set get revealed within 6 months of its release and everything is just fine-tuning the wording of the rules after that.

We have the most up-to-date text. In some cases we change text to fit what is happening in our interface. You are never placing a card next to the Scenario or Character for instance.

As updates are made in the future, we will be updated Pathfinder Adventures with the latest stuff. For example, I just received a change from Paizo today for the Village House location power.

Old: When attempting a check to acquire an ally, you may instead recharge a card to automatically acquire that ally.

New: When you encounter an ally, you may recharge a card to automatically acquire it.

Mechanically, it doesn't change much for us, because it's only an issue for cards from later sets.

• Like 3

I like the unlockable legendary mode adding in limited location movement, but have you also considered a variable player order mode? Basically allowing you to take player turn in any order you wish, but all other characters must take their turns before any one character takes another turn, this variant does make the game easier but it allows for a lot more strategic planning, and I feel it would go well with the limited movement variant.