Need info on WM companions and area play order and stuff

I'm doing a new playthrough now with WM, I haven't tocuhed either part of the expansion yet. I know there are 2 new companions and I want them both in the party. Ideally I'd like to play through the main game again and then do WM, but I want the new companions along for the whole ride. Questions:

- Where exactly do I get them both, are they available very early in the expansion (starting town or whatever)?

- Can I just go get them and return to the base game areas?

- I know there's some kind of scaling thing in the expansion so you can do it at different levels. If I simply go grab the companions at a low level, will that force me to set the whole expansion to a low level, or can I get the companions, finish base game, then come back and scale WM to the proper level?

-If you got both parts of the expansioN there are actually 3 companions, 2 in the opening town and one further along the White March main quest.

-You can come and go as you please, but the expansion areas only become available when you've gone to the temple of Woedica in Defiance Bay and the opening fight is balanced around being level 7 or 8. You can't reset the scaling once you've started the area but it won't scale down to a low level, only up to a high one.

You can't play past Sun In Shadow, you'd need to play WM before jumping down the hole on the Burial Isle. I'd recommend finishing WM completely before you go to Elmsreach to speak with the gods. I'd also recommend starting it about level 10 which is around when the level scaling prompt gets shown, you can probably get there before the end of Defiance Bay. Then if you go to WM before the big hearing that ends act 2, you can scale up WM and also scale up the rest of the base game.

So to get the most out of level scaling:

Base game up to the end of act 2

Alternate between base game and WM until Elmsreach

Finish WM

Go to Elmsreach and finish up the base game from there

You can't play past Sun In Shadow, you'd need to play WM before jumping down the hole on the Burial Isle. I'd recommend finishing WM completely before you go to Elmsreach to speak with the gods. I'd also recommend starting it about level 10 which is around when the level scaling prompt gets shown, you can probably get there before the end of Defiance Bay. Then if you go to WM before the big hearing that ends act 2, you can scale up WM and also scale up the rest of the base game.

So to get the most out of level scaling:

Base game up to the end of act 2

Alternate between base game and WM until Elmsreach

Finish WM

Go to Elmsreach and finish up the base game from there

I would change this up just a bit and go Base game till before the Hearing (should be around 10) 

WM part 1 (Which will give you a few levels)

Base game till elmsreach and the gods

Then WM2 for story continuity. 

Though in terms of seeing the game with new companions, Welp base game to temple then start both parts of white march. You will have a rough time for a little bit but after part 1 you will pretty much steam roll. ( I did this on hard, WM at level 8 and finished part 2 at level 13.) they included an option to level scale act 3 in the game if you get over leveled. But i would say WM act 2 would feel worlds better scaled up. Its a much more "Epic" situation that really degrades a little at lower levels.