Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Toughest fight in the game?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

limaxophobiacq

limaxophobiacq

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 601 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Adra Dragon for sure for me. At the very least Adra Dragon at level 12 in original game was much harder than any of the others at level 13+. Have never fought Adra Dragon at level 16 so its possible its quite easy if you do.

Beat all the WM bosses (Llengrath, Alpine, Concelhaut, Radiant Spore, and Kraken) on the first try on PotD, while Adra Dragon killed me 2-3 times on hard first time I played the game.

I think the Adra Dragon to me was more difficult because its alpha strike (the breath it opens combat with) is so strong, so unless you send in a lone tank to eat it you're just rolling the dice and hoping your whole party doesn't get screwed. The others give you time to act letting you cast buffs and CC/debuffs. Llengrath especially would probably be really hard if it wasn't for the fact that her gang starts all the way over there, so when they actually come you're already Alacritied, Crowned for the Faithful, and standing in a Moonwell.

Edited by limaxophobiacq, 22 March 2016 - 03:04 AM.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just finished my first playthrough.

I think there are two ways to weight the difficulty of fights. One on the 'absolute' scale, were probably Llengrath, Alpine and Radiant Spore would take the prize. And another related to the perceived difficulty upon first stumbling. For example I still remember that bear in the cave. On level 1, it took me 6 attempts to realize that it is nigh-impossible to beat him. For me it was as follows (from hardest to easiest):

1. Bear in the cave (lvl 1)

2. Warchief Iklak (stumbled upon on lvl 4; gave up after 7 attempts; only on level 5 could finally kill him)

3. Zolla + ogre + ogre druid (lvl 4; it took 4 attempts)

4. Adra Dragon on lvl 11 (lvl 11; took 3 attempts) (it feels like both breath and wing slam range is way bigger than that of other dragons)

5. Felisa and her gang (lvl 8; 3 attempts)

6. Llengrath (lvl 16, 2 attempts)

7. Final battle at white forge (with dwarf spirits and guardians) (lvl 10; 2 attempts) (the first Shadowflame hit all party, and was spammed again and again)

8. Radiant Spore (lvl 14, 2 attempts)

9. Alpine Dragon (lvl 15, 2 attempts)

10. Eyeless ambush (lvl 12, from first attempt, but my frontliners ran out of health)

11. Ondrite monks (that fight at Reliquary) (lvl 14, from first attempt, but it was brutal)

12. Colcelhaut (lvl 15, first attempt)

The first try on Llengrath was quite hilarious tbh. I summoned all figurines and I suppose that's what triggered both the dragons to start the fight with dual Breath attack, annihilating my backline. And the second breath followed instantly after the Second Chance kicked in. While the next try (without figurines) sealed the deal.

Edited by MaxQuest, 23 March 2016 - 05:42 AM.

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2244 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My vote goes to ALPINE DRAGON.

You know there are no Alps in this game...

mukurome

mukurome

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts

All You guys are wrong :D the most difficult fight are spectre in caed nua at the begining of the game, when playing solo :) All dragons, mages etc. are nothing comparing to 4 spectre solo at level around 4 with class other than mage.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1293 posts

All You guys are wrong :D the most difficult fight are spectre in caed nua at the begining of the game, when playing solo :) All dragons, mages etc. are nothing comparing to 4 spectre solo at level around 4 with class other than mage.

Actually they're not that hard when you know how to deal with them. With plate and Rymrgrand's Mantle they will do no damage to you. You grab the sword from the entrance with bonus vs spirits and you kill them one by one while standing in the corner. And of course you need high mig/con to avoid stunlock....

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1170 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

3) Concelhaut (Inside the chamber, its extremely difficult to win...?)

2) Alpine Dragon (Recent Immunities against paralysed / Stunned)

1) Radiant Spore (God... Without preparation, who can pass this battle the first time with a team offensive oriented ?)

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
My first playthrough was as a Druid.... Once I entered Gilded Vale and encountered the loud mouth Raedric Lackey and friends at lvl 2 I engaged them about 10 times in a row. They always crushed me. Never tried since....
  • gogocactus and peddroelm like this

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1293 posts

I'm surprised that many people find the Radiant Spore that hard. If you free the vithraks at the beginning, the fight doesn't require much tactics - you go for the big spore and you hit it fast and hard because when it dies the tentacles disappear too. 

rheingold

rheingold

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
^^^ the stat checks to free the vithrack are not that easy. I almost alway play a resolve,perc and int kinda character. Not sure what stat and how high it is required but ive never managed. And the fight with them is tough

Edited by rheingold, 24 March 2016 - 11:47 AM.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1293 posts

^^^ the stat checks to free the vithrack are not that easy. I almost alway play a resolve,perc and int kinda character. Not sure what stat and how high it is required but ive never managed. And the fight with them is tough

I think you need 15con/res. 

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm surprised that many people find the Radiant Spore that hard. If you free the vithraks at the beginning, the fight doesn't require much tactics - you go for the big spore and you hit it fast and hard because when it dies the tentacles disappear too.

If you don't position yourself well (and on the first encounter you usually don't), plus you have to fight the spore AND vithraaks, than yeap it's hard ^^
While second try - that's another story.

Edited by MaxQuest, 24 March 2016 - 12:13 PM.

rheingold

rheingold

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think you need 15con/res.
Yeah, I've had the res just not the con. And man it's a tough fight with all the adds.
Weird thing about the alpine and adra dragons though. I found both fights really really tough and had to resort to cheese to win. But the adra's adds are much tougher than the alpines. And the alpine dragon is tougher than the adra so it balances out I guess. But those darn adragons....

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1569 posts
If only the Druid's Call of the Primordials could summon an adragan... probably my favorite PoE creature.

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1170 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Constitution : 3

Resolve : 3

Everybody against me.

I understand now : p

My strategie is now to use shield 30 pts of Chanter. + Girdle of eoten constitution for all + Scroll of protection +20 + summon target mob for reduce the damage.

Very interresting battle.

Edited by theBalthazar, 24 March 2016 - 11:48 PM.

ojaiike

ojaiike

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Steam:ojaiike

Against dragons do drugs, especially the one that disables fear.

Esajin

Esajin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 110 posts

I'm not sure if it happens to anyone else, but without casters in my party any fight with three+ adragans can quickly become a full-fledged boss fight. I'm pretty sure on upscaled POTD their Returning Storm spell is passive, activates at any random time, regardless of status and conveniently always seems to successfully hit and stun (regardless of reflex score it seems) whoever is assigned to refresh the crowd control, dispel the petrify/charm, casting a protective buff or about to deliver the killing blow. If two of those survive your opening controlled burst, pack up, you're going to moonwell city (insane strength, range and duration), get dominated (regardless of will) and petrified (regardless of fortitude), and of course, stunned.

Actual boss fights involving Adragans are far easier, since you're prepared anyway and ready to go the extra mile. But I thought they'd be worth mentioning in a thread about the toughest fight, as they're currently at #1 in my "tougher than expected" list, turning random skirmishes into epic battles.

• peddroelm likes this

rheingold

rheingold

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm not sure if it happens to anyone else, but without casters in my party any fight with three+ adragans can quickly become a full-fledged boss fight. I'm pretty sure on upscaled POTD their Returning Storm spell is passive, activates at any random time, regardless of status and conveniently always seems to successfully hit and stun (regardless of reflex score it seems) whoever is assigned to refresh the crowd control, dispel the petrify/charm, casting a protective buff or about to deliver the killing blow. If two of those survive your opening controlled burst, pack up, you're going to moonwell city (insane strength, range and duration), get dominated (regardless of will) and petrified (regardless of fortitude), and of course, stunned.

Actual boss fights involving Adragans are far easier, since you're prepared anyway and ready to go the extra mile. But I thought they'd be worth mentioning in a thread about the toughest fight, as they're currently at #1 in my "tougher than expected" list, turning random skirmishes into epic battles.

Yeah the upscaled ones in Elmshore are insane. I waltzed in there at around 12th level (Potd) thinking that I'd steamroll them and boy was I suprised.

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1597 posts

OK, I just finished the Llengrath battle on my first try.  (I don't count my encounter with Llengrath with my last party because I talked my way out of fighting that time.)  It was a tough fight, but I've had tougher ones.  For all Llengrath's reputation in the game lore, she didn't seem particularly tough at all.  And the dragons themselves didn't seem any tougher than other dragons in the game.

That said, it was a tough fight and it came down to the larger green bog dragon (who was "nearly dead") vs Sagani who was pretty badly wounded herself.  Everyone else in my party was down, and I don't have Sagani built with any Lore so she couldn't revive anyone.  All she could do was run and shoot, run and shoot.  And against a dragon with a high Lightning DR, so unless she triggered returning storm with Stormcaller, she was doing around 3-5 damage per shot.  Thankfully, she wears boots of speed, so she could easily out run the dragon.  But frankly, this one on one, Sagani vs the Bog Dragon was boring as all helI.   I guess that I just don't find anything enjoyable about running around the map kiting a single enemy.  And this 1v1 engagement told me all I needed to know about why I'd hate playing the game solo.

Eelectrica

Eelectrica

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Steam:Eelectrica
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Brynlod.

I've beaten Adra dragon, concelhaut, Llengrath, Alpine dragon, radiant spore, but Brynlod has my number.

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1597 posts

Brynlod.

I've beaten Adra dragon, concelhaut, Llengrath, Alpine dragon, radiant spore, but Brynlod has my number.

Yeah, that particular bounty battle is nasty as all hell.  With my current party, I beat them in my first attempt, but it was ridiculously close.  My Fighter PC and Zahua were the last two on their feet against two of them.  Don't remember what those last 2 enemies were.  They weren't the casters or chanters.  And they had DEFL's that were sky high, so I was having trouble getting hits on them.  Thankfully I was finally able to land a blow here and there and finish them off, but not before my PC and Zahua were on their last legs.  It was that close.

Honestly, I don't particularly like this fight.  Not because of the difficulty of the enemies.  What I don't like is the location.  The ground is very restricted, and that ruins blocks your view of your characters if the fight ends up behind it.  At least with the other bounty fights, the battles are in somewhat more open and easier to use ground.  This ground just stinks.  Oh well.

• Eelectrica likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users