Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Toughest fight in the game?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1597 posts

Playing on PotD, without a priest:

N. 1: Alpine Dragon
N. 2: Lengrath
N. 3: Concelhaut

I managed to finish Lengrath with relative ease at 14 by equipping my party with anti beast equipment, engaging the adds first and having my rogue take Lengrath out ASAP. Even so, I had to wait until level sixteen before I could take the Alpine dragon out. I have no idea how other people are able to finish the alpine dragon at level eleven or even lower..

There are some keys to successful dragon hunting.  (Some might say cheese.)

1. Learn the dragon hunting skill from Falanroed as part of the Adra Dragon "hunt".  It reduces any dragon's defenses for a shortish but useful period of time.

2. Paralyze spell scrolls.  It may seem cheesy, but dragons are so incredibly powerful with their breath attacks that can just about nuke an entire party, I'd call it the proverbial case of "fighting fire with fire".

2a. If you have a high enough level wizzy, Gaze of the Adragan for more paralyzing.  A paralyzed dragon hurts no one.

3. Watch the dragon's DR's and immunities closely and use weapons, spells, chants, whatever that target the weak areas.

• gogocactus likes this

Brimsurfer

Brimsurfer

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 408 posts

One of the following;

Alpine Dragon or Llengrath or Adra Dragon.....

Cragen

Cragen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

So far for me, the Magran's Faithful bounty by FAR. Honestly seems broken at this point. I never got around to finishing the game so been doing a full playthrough with a Barb on POTD.
Been some difficult fights and whatnot but nothing I couldn't overcome, but this bounty is kicking my ass its not even funny.

Every single NPC got 150 will/fort/deflection so no matter what I throw at them they just shrug it off like its nothing. They got 3 priests so Storm of Holy Fire just insta kill anything that is in the area, but there isn't really enough room to move around.

And then you got the druids who will kill anything that gets remotely close to them with firebug.

So far I just end up running out of resources before half the group are dead. Been trying to get Eder to tank all the melee while I send the rest of my party behind them to pick off the priests one by one.
Using Aloth to try and crowd control as much as possible, but at the end I just don't do enough damage. Eder runs out of health and can't stay alive anymore and they just slaughter me after that.

Update!
Somehow manage to pull it off in the end. Think that might be the first fight so far where I've damn near run out of spells on Durance and Aloth and had to ress people multiple times just to squeeze out slightly more damage.

Edited by Cragen, 10 March 2016 - 06:50 AM.

Jajo

Jajo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I managed to finish Lengrath with relative ease at 14 by equipping my party with anti beast equipment, engaging the adds first and having my rogue take Lengrath out ASAP. Even so, I had to wait until level sixteen before I could take the Alpine dragon out. I have no idea how other people are able to finish the alpine dragon at level eleven or even lower..

1. Learn the dragon hunting skill from Falanroed as part of the Adra Dragon "hunt".  It reduces any dragon's defenses for a shortish but useful period of time.

2. Paralyze spell scrolls.  It may seem cheesy, but dragons are so incredibly powerful with their breath attacks that can just about nuke an entire party, I'd call it the proverbial case of "fighting fire with fire".

2a. If you have a high enough level wizzy, Gaze of the Adragan for more paralyzing.  A paralyzed dragon hurts no one.

3. Watch the dragon's DR's and immunities closely and use weapons, spells, chants, whatever that target the weak areas.

Paralyze scrolls didn't work well for me even before the dragons were buffed, but I agree that, sadly, immobilizing them is the (only) way to go. I just don't know how to deal with 300 non-crit semi-ranged butt attacks otherwise. The tools now have to be tailored somewhat to the dragon, because of the immunities, but not the process itself.

I find it, that despite them being resistant to prone, Concelhaut's Crushing Doom is still invaluable in these encounters, since it gives you multiple prone checks for the price of one spell (and damage's a nice bonus too). Dexterity's usually one of the lowest resistances on the dragons to begin with. The downside is, that you have to have already beaten Concelhaut to get it.

Stun weapons are a good choice too. Stunned affliction also suspends prone lengthening the effect.

• gogocactus likes this

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1597 posts

Paralyze scrolls didn't work well for me even before the dragons were buffed, but I agree that, sadly, immobilizing them is the (only) way to go. I just don't know how to deal with 300 non-crit semi-ranged butt attacks otherwise. The tools now have to be tailored somewhat to the dragon, because of the immunities, but not the process itself.

I find it, that despite them being resistant to prone, Concelhaut's Crushing Doom is still invaluable in these encounters, since it gives you multiple prone checks for the price of one spell (and damage's a nice bonus too). Dexterity's usually one of the lowest resistances on the dragons to begin with. The downside is, that you have to have already beaten Concelhaut to get it.

Stun weapons are a good choice too. Stunned affliction also suspends prone lengthening the effect.

Apparently, some dragons (the Alpine dragon, maybe) are immune to paralyze spells.  But some are vulnerable to confusion.  Some are vulnerable to prone attacks.  All of this falls under point #3 about paying attention to a dragon's DRs and immunities.

One thing about dragons who aren't immune to confusion spells.    Getting a dragon confused isn't going to allow you to attack and damage it freely, like you could to a paralyzed target.  The moment you strike a confused target, the confusion effect goes away.  The benefits I can see of getting a dragon confused are: 

1)  Any adds the dragon has may attack him, and he may attack his adds.  But watch out, I don't know if a dragon's breath weapon is foe-only or not.   And if he were to make a breath (or wing buffet) attack on his adds, if not foe-only, those attacks may hit you as well.

2)  Having a dragon confused may give you time to re-position or cast buffs or healing, etc on team mates.  Note that this may not quite be the case in the battle where there are two dragons.  And in any case, whether one or two dragons, the other enemies may choose to continue attacking you.

And yes, stunning weapons may be nice, as long as that particular dragon isn't immune to being stunned.

One of the things I've learned in playing this (and the older IE games) is that sometimes one should look at your first attempt to any given battle (the tough ones, in particular) can be seen as gathering intel on the enemy.  Oh, at times you may win on your first attempt.  But even if you don't, you've learned what their strengths and weaknesses are, if you were paying attention to your enemies' DR's and immunities.   And then when you give it a second try, you should be more ready.

On this same line of thinking, something else I've learned is that sometimes the class mix of characters you have in your party may not be effective against certain enemies or groups of enemies.  I found fighting the monks in the Abbey very difficult with the first party I took into the Abbey (Rogue PC, Eder, Pallegina, Maneha, Durance, and a merc wizzy).  So, I retreated from the Abbey and went all the way back to Caed Nua and replaced Maneha, the barbarian, with Kana, a chanter, and replaced the merc wizzy with GM, a cipher.  And when I went back to the Abbey, things got a LOT easier.  Kana was more durable and his chant that does flame damage to all enemies nearby was quite useful.  And GM is more durable than a wizzy, and between her spells and her Stormcaller bow, she was very effective.

So it seems to me that the lesson is that there's nothing wrong with changing up the roster of your party if it will help you more easily deal with certain enemies.

Caribou

Caribou

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Steam:Caribou

The Adra dragon is destroying me.  Party is all level 12, aside for the tavern rogue.  I've got the scale breaker ability and Aloth has Gaze of Adragon.  I've tried this fight six times now and I don't know if it's bad luck, but Aloth NEVER successfully lands the gaze spell and I more often than not miss with the scale breaker.  And the dragon just breathes the party to death.  I've even tried dropping the difficulty down to story mode and Aloth still misses. 

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Adra dragon is destroying me.  Party is all level 12, aside for the tavern rogue.  I've got the scale breaker ability and Aloth has Gaze of Adragon.  I've tried this fight six times now and I don't know if it's bad luck, but Aloth NEVER successfully lands the gaze spell and I more often than not miss with the scale breaker.  And the dragon just breathes the party to death.  I've even tried dropping the difficulty down to story mode and Aloth still misses. 

You need to get rid of the Frightened (or is it Terrified? Can never recall which one of the two the dragons cause) affliction from the dragon's Fear Aura. Use a Scroll of Protection Against Fear (or the namesake 1st-level Priest spell if you have a Priest in your party) at the beginning of the fight, and Suppress Affliction (2nd-level Priest spell, or from a Ring of Unshackling) if any of your characters are hit by the aura before the protection spell goes through.

If you have a Priest in your party, generously drop Crowns for the Faithful, Devotions for the Faithful, and Champion's Boon on your party. Dire Blessing won't hurt afterward.

Scroll of Valor and Scroll of Defense are your friends; use them like your life depended on it.

I also advise shielding up one of your party members (the one with the best defenses), and send them in alone leaning against the leftmost rock wall. They'll eat up the dragon's breath while the rest of your party buffs before diving in. Make sure you keep an eye on the loner and have them sip potions of Major Endurance now and again to keep them alive.

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1597 posts

You need to get rid of the Frightened (or is it Terrified? Can never recall which one of the two the dragons cause) affliction from the dragon's Fear Aura. Use a Scroll of Protection Against Fear (or the namesake 1st-level Priest spell if you have a Priest in your party) at the beginning of the fight, and Suppress Affliction (2nd-level Priest spell, or from a Ring of Unshackling) if any of your characters are hit by the aura before the protection spell goes through.

If you have a Priest in your party, generously drop Crowns for the Faithful, Devotions for the Faithful, and Champion's Boon on your party. Dire Blessing won't hurt afterward.

Scroll of Valor and Scroll of Defense are your friends; use them like your life depended on it.

I also advise shielding up one of your party members (the one with the best defenses), and send them in alone leaning against the leftmost rock wall. They'll eat up the dragon's breath while the rest of your party buffs before diving in. Make sure you keep an eye on the loner and have them sip potions of Major Endurance now and again to keep them alive.

I also suggest having more than one character casting paralyze spells to increase the chances of getting at least one hit on the dragon.  There are plenty of Paralyze scrolls to be purchased in stores.

Also, Arcane Accuracy spells and potions are useful for casters to improve their chances of having offensive spells hit.

Inspector Switchblade

Inspector Switchblade

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts

Have killed Adra and Alpine Dragon, Concelhaut,and I made all vanilla missions, only WM2 remains so Lengrath is there right?

Brimsurfer

Brimsurfer

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 408 posts

Hey guys don't forget those F'ing Ondrite Monks, specially the ones at the north camp in Caryon's Scar (not saying the ones at the monastery lower level were a cake walk, but these guys at Caryon Scar are over the top)......I say F' those....they really need to be dumbed down a bit and brought in line with rest of the WM2 difficulty......these guys made the fight with High Abbot look like a stroll through Eden....

Baron_Bathory

Baron_Bathory

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 86 posts

I soloed the game with a Wizard. Hardest fights by far were Alpine Dragon and Radiant Spore. Honorable mentions are Adra Dragon, Concelhaut, Undead Raedric, and Kraken. If I had to pick one I would probably go with Alpine Dragon. I totally melted Llengrath. The Eyeless mobs in WM2 were really tough. Had more trouble on them than some bosses.

• gogocactus likes this

kvaak

kvaak

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts

I soloed the game with a Wizard. Hardest fights by far were Alpine Dragon and Radiant Spore. Honorable mentions are Adra Dragon, Concelhaut, Undead Raedric, and Kraken. If I had to pick one I would probably go with Alpine Dragon. I totally melted Llengrath. The Eyeless mobs in WM2 were really tough. Had more trouble on them than some bosses.

Couldn't you just cheese those with the plethora of "kill vessels on hit" weapons available?

Have killed Adra and Alpine Dragon, Concelhaut,and I made all vanilla missions, only WM2 remains so Lengrath is there right?

Llengrath is introduced in WM2, yes. There's an encounter at the west gate of Stalwart (after you kill Concelhaut) that opens up a new area in the world map. She's basically the Concelhaut equivalent of WM2.

Hey guys don't forget those F'ing Ondrite Monks, specially the ones at the north camp in Caryon's Scar (not saying the ones at the monastery lower level were a cake walk, but these guys at Caryon Scar are over the top)......I say F' those....they really need to be dumbed down a bit and brought in line with rest of the WM2 difficulty......these guys made the fight with High Abbot look like a stroll through Eden....

Weird, I found the monks at the Scar a pushover. The one unavoidable fight in the monastery was something else though, I had to reattempt it multiple times until I finally figured a way to deal with the engagement-disregarding monks and suppress affliction spam. There's plenty of room to maneuver in the Scar but none in the monastery which was probably a key factor.

Edited by kvaak, 17 March 2016 - 10:56 PM.

rheingold

rheingold

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Phew, first play through on Potd. Chanter main, all custom pcs, no min maxing, no priests, wizards or ciphers. Just one poor lonely druid.
Concelhaut has been painful on hard, so much so that I have had to resort to cheese, like pulling him out into the corridor by himself.
Well, as I said first darn Potd run and everyone and I mean everyone comes running out. Really painful fight, druids are fantastic but for these sort of fights having another caster type as well really would help. Pity I don't like them :) Any road, Concelhaut on Potd is down.
Not sure how to beat the 2 dragons though. Adra is okay on hard, but those adragan so are going to be a pain on Potd. I found the adds for the alpine actually much easier on hard than for the Adra though. It's just the blasted dragon. Lengrath won't happen, I'm too much of a goody two shoes.

Tough fights so far on Potd:
Concelhaut. Mercenary group just North of where you enter in Cragholdt bluff. The one with loads of merc brawlers. Caed Nua entrance hallway. Temple of Eothas shades. Vithrack bounty. Undead south of Ogres in Russetwood. Those Fampyr beguilers are no joke.

ottffsse

ottffsse

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 124 posts
Alpine dragon unless you are level 14+. You really have to prepare for that fight and I have never done it on potd without cheese tank distraction tactics but I have always done it at level 11 / 12.

Magran and brynlod bounties are no joke either. I wonder if anyone soloed them.

Spirit of od nua can also be tricky, also any fight with adragans Can turn nasty if they get their returning storms and dominate off and you don't have priest and are sleeping.

fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Magran and brynlod bounties are no joke either. I wonder if anyone soloed them.

They're not that hard to solo, just really tedious. Unlike most other bounties, the enemies in those two fights will never stop chasing your character, so you have to spend five to ten minutes running around in circles and slowly plinking them to death. Though at least Brynlord's map has a semi-decent choke point you can abuse.

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
[quote name="Jajo" post="1786974" timestamp="1457680398"]

[quote name="Crucis" post="1786539" timestamp="1457618802"]

[quote name="gogocactus" post="1786301" timestamp="1457566568"]

[/quote]

I just don't know how to deal with 300 non-crit semi-ranged butt attacks otherwise.[/quote]

The flatuent wyrm strikes again!

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
?

Edited by Blades of Vanatar, 19 March 2016 - 04:17 PM.

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts

[/quote]

I just don't know how to deal with 300 non-crit semi-ranged butt attacks otherwise.[/quote]

The flatuent wyrm strikes again!

Edited by Blades of Vanatar, 19 March 2016 - 04:16 PM.

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
Too much Spotted Cow apparently disables posting ability... Sorry.

Vorad

Vorad

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

for as long as even a single crowd control ability is effective there can be no true hard fights, a single aoe prone with buffed accuracy is more than enough to end even the hardest fights. If it's not prone then it's stun or paralyze or petrify and even if all these would fail I really like the disable provided by the new wizard "vortex" spell accompanied by a wall spell and high interrupt and all 3 can be cast in less than a second with speed buff + clothes + high dex wizard... it's just gg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users