Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nvidia Pascal to launch in June

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6426 posts
Yeah I'm totally skipping this card for sure. Instead I put my 980ti under water, made a modest 250mhz oc, and I'm getting 10-20 fps boosts in everything now. Staying under 55c at load, and no more throttling. All this for like 60 bucks. Stock reference coolers are junk, I didn't know throttling held this card back so much. 1080 FE is worse? No thanks

https://www.amazon.c...HiyL&ref=plSrch

Edited by Bokishi, 29 May 2016 - 11:32 AM.

• kirottu and Ganrich like this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7212 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

My Titan X after flashing the ROM for a decent overclock (1215, 1430 turbo, 7400 memory clocks) and more aggressive fan profile should easily take the Pepsi challenge with the GTX 1080.  I don't intend to upgrade for at least 3 years anyway.  I'll let 3D memory mature then think about doing an upgrade.  With Vulkan, my ridiculously overpriced Maxwell card should be good to go at 1440p for the foreseeable future.  Ideally, in 4 or 5 years I build a whole new machine with 4K in mind and turn my current rig into a server.

• Bokishi likes this

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3829 posts

GTX 1070 reviews are out, and consensus seems to be that at stock vs stock, it is indeed a few percent faster than the Titan X/980Ti as promised. However it has far less overclocking headroom, so even with very mild overclocking, it quickly falls behind, and at maximum typical clocks for both, the old cards end up in the region of 10-20% faster.

It's not surprising of course, that a cut-down small chip needs pushed to its limits to match a big chip. But with 980Ti prices now as low or lower than the 1070 FE, it's far from clear cut on which is the better buy. Of course, that will change once the custom 1070s come out (assuming they do around the $380 RRP) and also once the stock of the older cards runs dry, but I suppose whether you buy a custom 1070 or a discounted 980Ti, the shake-up is that we should have 980Ti performance for ~$400 shortly.

There's still nearly a month before the NDA on Polaris lifts, and by that point we surely will have at least a little news on the GP106 (i.e. GTX 1060/1050), so it'll be that long at least before we get a clear picture on the overall state of the market.

• Bokishi likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1753 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

http://www.pcworld.c...the-masses.html

"In a livestream from Computex in Taipei, AMD announced that the Radeon RX 480 will be the first graphics card based on its forthcoming Polaris graphics processors. And get this: The Radeon RX 480 stands ready to deliver performance equivalent to what today’s $500 graphics cards offer, as first reported in the Wall Street Journal earlier today. That’s roughly in line with the Radeon R9 390X, GeForce GTX 980, or air-cooled Radeon Fury.

But here’s the real bombshell: The Radeon RX 480 will cost only $200 when it goes on sale on June 29."

Hmm...I'm liking AMD's (purported) end of this much better so far...

Edited by Bartimaeus, 31 May 2016 - 09:57 PM.

• kirottu and Ganrich like this

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3829 posts

The absence of the 480X from the announcement has people wondering whether Apple snaffled them all up for the iMac refresh. Shame, would have been interesting to see how close Polaris could get to the 1070 if they released a fully-enabled version at say, $300, but we might be waiting a little longer for it.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1364 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

on base clock speeds

RX480 - 6,720,454,656 flops

gtx 1070 - 5,551,718,400 flops 

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1897 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's looking more and more like I'll have to snap up another 980 when the price finally crashes :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users