I finished the game a short time after the release and just recently started again. This time I wanted to do the TCS-Achievement with a monk. I have already reached Caed Nua and defeated Mearwald, who wasn't that hard. I've searched for some advice regarding monk builds for a tcs run, but havn't found any recent (2.0+) info about this. The talents I've picked so far are:

Soul Mirror (just took it because I wasn't sure what to pick and wanted to try if projectile spells could be reflected)

Torments Reach

Turning Wheel

Weapon Focus Peasant

Fast Runner

Stats:

Might 19

Con 18

Dex 10

Per 9

Int 4

Res 18

My race is Moon Godlike and right now I'm using fists or fist/shield depending on the situation. Had some problems with shades,phantoms,shadows but after I noticed that they do cold based dmg and thus equipped my Rymrgrand's Mantle they became quite easy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Does the "Dual Wield-Talent" apply to fists? Wasn't sure because it says "weapons" in the description

Edited by Shiroco

TCS with a Monk is really cool as the class is very powerful - even without item optimization.

If you are searching for some ability advice you may take a look at my Ascetic Monk Guide:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84589-class-build-the-ascetic-no-items-solo-monk-guide/

For items you should wait or ask for Boeroer - he knows everything about that. No? :biggrin:

"Weapon Focus Peasant" was a good choice to boost your Accuracy - especially with only Perception 9. Long Stride will also make things much easier so you can splitpull like a god. Fast Runner is optional for me. If i remember correctly Torments Reach will not apply the Fire Lash of Turning Wheel. As i am an obsessive Torments Spammer i often skip it. Soul Mirror is suboptimal in my opinion as you have more than enough options too kill Gunners quickly. I would try to get "Force of Anguish" as soon as possible. The knockdown will remain useful until the lategame.

Some words about your attributes: Looks like you nearly used the same build of an old TCS-Monk-Guide. Should still work but personally i prefer Perception over Resolution today. But okay - for TCS its the safer path for sure. :yes:

Edited by Harpagornis

First of all Thanks!

@Merina

Good to know. There're games where fists aren't classified as a weapon so I wasn't sure >.<

@Harpagornis

That Ascetic Monk Guide looks very useful. I got Fast Runner just before I could get long stride (didn't know it existed >,<). I'll respecc soon. My attributes are based on an old monk and recent paladin tcs run. Hopefully I won't regret this in the later stages ;/

At what point should I go to the white march expansion?

Good to know. The only monsters that give me a hard time are those that can perma disable me. Everything else is relatively easy.

It is established practice of the local players here to create notes while playing pen'n'paper rpgs and crpgs. We've done that for POE, too ... but all the updates have changed so much ... and nobody has created a spreadsheet for the bestiary and immunities. In my TCS run I had to flee from unexpectedly difficult monsters often. Suddenly spectres in TWM could stun me with ranged attacks ... while none of the earlier ones do that. Or the spotted stelgaers ... and a huge group even ... required me to use all the five healing potions I've had in one quickslot.

If you reach Twin Elms you might want to pick up the Aila Braccia shield from the monks in the tavern. It turns all ranged grazes into misses and reflects them back to the attacker. That includes targeted spells! Lagufaeth can be really dangerous for a solo monk as they will paralyze-lock you if your defenses are too low. With this shield those encounters turn from hefty to easy. Just put it into your second weapon slot and switch back to dual fists when they all paralyzed themselves. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The monk has always seemed a bit counter-intutative to me because they encourage use of "fists" (high damage, but no other effects; basically a fast weapon version of a Saber), but what monks really need is a solid source (flood?) of endurance regeneration to be able to leverage the enormous health/mana pool to spam wound abilities endlessly. Sadly, they don't have a single healing class ability. Monks benefit far more from endurance regeneration than any other class, even more so going Solo where you have to absorb every enemy attack. Veterans recovery will help some, but the low INT means it won't last long and would only put a tiny dent into your massive health potential. Moon godlike regeneration helps some. Healing potions take up valuable quick item slots that could be used for other potions or figurines, and take time to drink, so I was never a big fan of them. Shod-in-faith would help quite a bit, if your defenses are not so high to avoid a critical when it is needed. The best source of endurance is probably endurance draining weapons instead of fists, so you can heal a bunch with every Torment's Reach. Finally, healing multipliers will make all those endurance sources even better.

In my opinion, fists are better as the trash mob cleanup weapon set where endurance doesn't matter, and draining weapons are better for the tough fights. Fists are also great for party-based monks where money is tight and other people need the good weapons (or a cipher can buff them). Sadly, Peasant weapon focus has terrible weapons for endurance draining, except for that customizable spear, but it isn't available until the start of Act 3.

Or I guess you could just run way and recover endurance if needed, in which case items don't matter much and the biggest problem is getting paraylzed to death.

Edited by Braven

Monks dont need endurance regeneration to be succesful. They even dont need any items to hit & kick their way solo through the game. Most of the time my Ascetic Monk only needs two abilities to steamroll through enemies: Torments Reach + Force of Anguish. Fine DPS + CC which you can build around your other talents/ abilities. High CON and Moon Godlike is enough to survive, only for tough encounters you can spare your Endurance Potions. As Boeroer stated above: Monks are awesome. And if you know how to counter heavy CC - say hello Lagufaeth - they even get superawesome in my opinion. Still Good Luck Shiroco! :yes:

If monks also had strong healing abilities they would be outright OP. ;)

And you can always use scrolls and potions (using ones that deliver healing over time instead of a healing burst is better because you can drink them at the beginning of a fight.).

By the way: High MIG and INT + Iron Wheel + Veteran's Recovery + Regneration item + Belt of Bountiful Healing + Survival Bonus: Healing Multiplier = nice effect on a monk. With Shod-in-Faith even better - but that's obvious. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

True, lots of strategies will work, which is why you should do what is fun for you. Monks are very powerful regardless of what you do, or stats you take (though, high con is always a good idea). However, twice as much endurance can mean the potential for twice as many cool abilities, something which is unique to the Monk class.; it probably only really matters when tanking a dragon or trying to take on higher level encounters too early. Also, a non-crush weapon is handy anyways for crush-resistant/immune enemies. It is very sad running into an elemental and having no way to kill it.

A problem I had when playing Monk on version 2.0*, was that my wounds would annoyingly expire all the time, preventing me from reaching 10 wounds (I was trying to make full use of turning wheel). If you just use them as you get them, it doesn't matter, but I liked the idea of sitting at max wounds for Extra damage and DR. That build was focused on max defense (shield) and had only 4 INT, which made wound count grow slowly. Does anyone know if wound expiration is influenced by Intelligence?

Boeroer: don't forget about that awesome "wound binding" talent. 40% more health with the monks 6x health multiplier and max con is like 60 more torments reach. :)

Edited by Braven

I put my priority on torment's reach, swift strikes, and anguish prone. You can get move speed from survival camping now, so not that high a priority.

Rooting pain, resonant touch, might be a good combo at the end game.

I tend to go with the high defense juggernaut build.

Braven, have you tested lesser wounds? Maybe that'll give you more wounds per 10 damage or something.

As for shod in faith, the cheesy way to do it is to have your high party member do a blunder attack on the monk, when combat starts, to give him wounds and activate crits. The Russians had the same idea in WWII

Edited by Ymarsakar

Rooting Pains damage is too low later on to stack Resonant Touches. Still havent tested it with DR-Items because i got bored of the monks insane power even when running around naked. Enervating Blow + Force of Anguish + Apprentice Sneak Attack is a nice combo. Buff it with Savage Attack + Bloody Slaughter + Interrupting Blows and the monk will be a punching death machine. Offense is the best defense no? :biggrin:

Lesser wounds is great. Basically 20% more wounds, which is the monk's "mana" pool. That said, I think I would wait a few levels before taking it as it isn't too noticeable early on. You won't be relying on monk abilities too much until after Act 1 when you start taking more damage from enemies, have a larger endurance pool, and more abilities to spend wounds on. Early on, I think more value can be had with something that helps your core combat skills, like vulnerable attack (very powerful early) or a weapon style talent. But, that might just be personal preference.

Edited by Braven

I've always found Lesser Wounds to be pretty bad.

If I take 80 points of damage I get 8 wounds, with a talent you'll get 10 wounds. Not much difference and wounds expire in like 10 seconds anyway plus you are limited to having only ten at a time.. If wounds lasted longer and could be stacked higher than ten it might be worth a talent pick.

I'd rather take a damaging talent like Vulnerable Attack, Savage Attack, Apprentice Sneak Attack or grab some of the defense boosters like the Fortitude boost or the Will boost. Even taking weapon and shield to super augment your deflection and Reflex when you occasionally swap to Fist and Shield Captain America style would be a much better choice than Lesser Wounds.