The final events of White March Part 2 main quest

Is it actually possible to die/lose a companion after striking the crystal? Eder (I chose "draw lots") survived because the souls I set free in part 1 apparently turned in to fish people and saved him. I've also heard that the diving helmet will prevent a death. When I talked to Ondra later in Twin Elms (during the vanilla main quest, where you need the gods help to chase Thaos) there was an option that said something like "I lost a friend because of you" (which I hadn't, bug?) which suggests it is possible for the person striking to die. 

If so, has anyone seen that? Especially interested in what happens if the PC dies, a simple GAME OVER popup, or alternate ending slides? 

If you stay to do it yourself you can indeed die, and I did. You get a unique ending slide: "you died but at least you stopped the Eyeless".

You can apparently also be rescued personally by Ondra, though I don't know what the prerequisite for that is. And Devil Of Caroc will just sink to the bottom of the water and walk calmly back to shore.

Edited by house2fly
  • Like 1

Lol for the devil

I second this!

Seriously, though. Nice to know that there's a nonstandard Game Over for making a heroic sacrifice.

(sucks that Durance won't do it, tho. :p)

Personally, I had my watcher volunteer for hammer duty, then survived thanks to diving helmet.

• Like 2

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

I think party members will refuse to do it if you haven't done their quest yet

I did his quest, he still refused it. Typical of him, really.

He's got a god to kill. Leaves a guy kinda busy, you know?

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

First time I sacrificed myself and the game just ends! -> Reload

Then i thought I don't want to lose any of my fellows. So i got this cheap mercenary and he did a great job :-)

That the character just dies because of drowning wasn't clear to me from the conversation with Ondra. I like that there are all the other possible solutions though. I just didn't think they were possible, because I assumed the one that swings the hammer dies under any circumstances because it's the will of the gods. NOthing to prevent that from happening. 

PS: sorry for my bad english^^

• Like 1

I sent Zahua to do this (after completing his quest) and he ended up dead as doornail. I liked that there appears to be different solutions and outcomes.

However, I still got Zahua's ending (as if he survived) when I completed the game. So it bugged out.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I let my party draw sticks, and Pallegina draw the short one, though she got away with the diving helm. This is pretty interesting, cause as a godlike, how could she even use a helmet? :)

Later in act 3 while talking to ondra there also was a inconsistence relating to the final of wmp2. I was able to blame ondra for sacrificing one of my companions even with Pallagina surviving the final.

I had my main do it and she survived thanks to the diving helmet. It's amazing to see the kind of reactivity they implemented for this: from DoC simply walking back to characters volunteering, passing through Durance's refusing (how in-character of him!)

Love that you can get the non-standard game over and/or really lose a companion there. It's the kind of stuff you don't see in games anymore nowadays.

That you can blame Ondra for the loss of companion who didn't die is a bug. I'd report it myself but I did Act III before TWM 2 so I don't have a relevant save game to provide.

My question, however, is: wasn't Ondra's motive kinda weak? Weren't the Engwithans almost extinct when she called forth the moon to destroy them? And why would she, if those left were doing her a service by making everyone worship the new gods?

It's also kind of silly that Abydon would disagree but let her do her thing just to oppose it last minute. Why not act sooner, if he had known of her plan all along?

Maybe I should start a new thread for all this...

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You guys haven't even mentioned the option I was able to use.  I had gotten a truce with the Ogres who'd attack Stalwart at the start of WM1.  And as a result, the Ogre Matron has made 3 of her best warriors available to me for the final battle against the Eyeless. 

So when it came time to select someone to stay behind, there was an option to have the ogres do it.  Woo-hoo!  I was thrilled because I'd sent in my best group of 6 characters for the final battle against the Eyeless.  Not one of them was one of my backups whom I might consider sacrificing.  I was so bummed about it that I'd stripped the character I'd intended to sacrifice of all his equipment, because I was afraid of losing it along with the character.  But thankfully the ogre option came up unexpectedly, and all was good. 

• Like 2

My question, however, is: wasn't Ondra's motive kinda weak? Weren't the Engwithans almost extinct when she called forth the moon to destroy them? And why would she, if those left were doing her a service by making everyone worship the new gods?

It's also kind of silly that Abydon would disagree but let her do her thing just to oppose it last minute. Why not act sooner, if he had known of her plan all along?

Maybe I should start a new thread for all this...

She didn't want to destroy the Engwithans, she wanted to destroy their memory: the machines and writings they left behind.

By directly pulling a satellite onto Eora? Kind of heavy handed for a God who swore not to meddle with kith affairs...!

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 2 months later...