Keeping enemies engaged?

What makes an enemy disengage a frontliner and go for a wizard or priest?

Does anyone know the exact mechanics?

Is it the deflection score? Or low endurance or DR? Or is it just a simple class check?

I know its not the dealt damage because I have seen enemies break engagement with my tank or even run directly to my ranged party members when the ranged party members were not even focusing that enemy where as the tank was bashing the skull of that very same enemy, so its definitely not the damage that keeps the enemy engaged or make him disengage.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Because if I know the mechanics then I will be able to control this....

Edited by Brimsurfer

About those specific enemies, they use Flagellant's Path a lot. Not much you can do about that.

Yes I know and they do it from insane range too, i dont believe that a PC monk can do it from that far, they were basically dashing in from the other edge of my screen. And they also use Force of Anguish a lot.........

Now there were about 12 of them and say if 6 of them use FP and 4 of them use FoA at the same time or in quick succession, it ****s up the whole game.......there ought to be some kind of threshold on this. I remember there were bouncing bodies on my screen every where, it was complete chaos....

Is it the deflection score? Or low endurance or DR? Or is it just a simple class check?

I know its not the dealt damage because I have seen enemies break engagement with my tank or even run directly to my ranged party members when the ranged party members were not even focusing that enemy where as the tank was bashing the skull of that very same enemy, so its definitely not the damage that keeps the enemy engaged or make him disengage.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Because if I know the mechanics then I will be able to control this....

1. Deflection is definitely a factor.   Enemies will run to my wizard then run away from my wizard when he pops hardened arcane veil.

2. DR is definitely a factor.   Shades will move towards than away from a wizard who pops bulwark of the elements (e.g. to ranger with low cold resist).

3. I believe low health is also a factor, but less sure than 1+2.   Pretty sure I seen enemies switch targets to pile on a ally with low health.

4. Engagements make enemy significantly less likely to pursue its preferred target.   I believe multiple engagements further reduce the chance.  Not sure if threat posed by the melee's free swings is a factor, or just the engagement itself.  

5.  Distance is a factor.  Not sure about medium vs. long range, but simply being in melee range already makes you significantly more likely to be attacked.

6.  I'm not certain whether move speed slow effects whether they chase.  Its possible to completely stop or reduce to a crawl many dangerous opponents with spells like blind though.

Edited by blinkicide

1. Deflection is definitely a factor.   Enemies will run to my wizard then run away from my wizard when he pops hardened arcane veil.

2. DR is definitely a factor.   Shades will move towards than away from a wizard who pops bulwark of the elements (e.g. to ranger with low cold resist).

3. I believe low health is also a factor, but less sure than 1+2.   Pretty sure I seen enemies switch targets to pile on a ally with low health.

4. Engagements make enemy significantly less likely to pursue its preferred target.   I believe multiple engagements further reduce the chance.  Not sure if threat posed by the melee's free swings is a factor, or just the engagement itself.  

5.  Distance is a factor.  Not sure about medium vs. long range, but simply being in melee range already makes you significantly more likely to be attacked.

6.  I'm not certain whether move speed slow effects whether they chase.  Its possible to completely stop or reduce to a crawl many dangerous opponents with spells like blind though.

Nice piece of info thanks......

Move speed is not a factor.  Health is definitely a factor.  I had to hit an enemy with 3x disengagement attacks before they would stay away from poor bloodied Eder.