The game post patch 3 is great but flawed in so many ways

For starters: what is the point of the soulbound weapons, they are clearly far weaker then upgraded weapons you can make with enchanting and durgan steel ect...

1. The holy redeemer is ok for taking out vessels

2. The night shroud is an absolute joke, procs a blind every 10 hits or so

3. Grey sleeper is ok, but on on par with blade of endless paths (if not upgraded)

4. The rest Aren't even worth mentioning.

5. The hunting bow doesn't justify selecting a ranger as all you can do is use the bow. Id rather a caster anyway.

So basically no good unique weapons to collect.

Edited by brindle88

For starters: what is the point of the soulbound weapons, they are clearly far weaker then upgraded weapons you can make with enchanting and durgan steel ect...

3. Grey sleeper is ok, but on on par with blade of endless paths (if not upgraded)

5. The hunting bow doesn't justify selecting a ranger as all you can do is use the bow. Id rather a caster anyway.

• 2 & 4 - The dagger (The Unlabored Blade) and Nightshroud both qualify for the same weapon focus, and the dagger is absolutely amazing. While the nighshround doesn't seem that great, it helps with Shadowing Beyond, not to mention that Finishing Blows are a downright insane ability. Try it.
  • 5 I use the bow on a cipher. Also, have you seen Twin Sting? That shiz is amazing, fires twice before reloading.
  • As for the others:
    • Greenstone Staff and Abydon's Hammer are imo the crappiest soulbound weapons.
    • The Grey Sleeper is easy to get, it's okay.
    • Gyrd Háewanes Sténes is okay on a range priest.
    • No opinion on the remaining three (Steadfast, Dragon's Maw Shield, St. Ydwen's Redeemer).

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hey brindle88,

I'd give Stormcaller on a Ranger another go. It shreds anyone wearing plate and that 'Returning Storm' Spellchance pretty much procs every fight. Utile Dulci already made good arguments for the others, except the staff. I myself am still looking for a reason to use the staff. I do love the Bettleshell Spellbind it gives. But just can't figure out a build to make the staff worth it. Anyone have some super secret Greenstone staff build they'd like to share?

I got your backs

-Sking

Stormcaller on a Ranger is killer. That's one of my favorite combos in game atm.

The Greenstone Staff...I don't even bother to get it anymore bc it seems really useless. I like to use in-game companions rather than make my own, and Aloth's might is too low for it to do any good, and I prefer using ranged for Hiravias.

I haven't seen the dagger yet. I keep hearing about it and I want it!! I do like the scepter I got with the first part of the Battle of Yenwood quest. I got it that early in the game and Hiravias still uses it.

I've got the breastplate on my main, but I haven't had it on long enough to tell much. I had the shield on Eder (disappointed a Pali couldn't take it), but now he's using the Hammer of Abydon, so it's sorta sidelined for now. I just got the Hammer, so I haven't really tested it out at all.

tl;dr: I like most of the soulbound weapons, but the Greenstone Staff is pointless :)

As a few have mentioned many of these weapons are very good. Personal preference will obviously have an effect but Abydon's Hammer is very good, the dagger is VERY good....and stormcaller....well if you don't get it, I'd say you clearly haven't tried it at all.

Also, I would not want soulbound weapons to be so powerful that they were the obvious go-to weapons.....one amazing thing about PoE Is that SOOOO many weapons , builds, etc are viable and powerful.

Edited by Mocker22
  • Like 3

Hey brindle88,

I'd give Stormcaller on a Ranger another go. It shreds anyone wearing plate and that 'Returning Storm' Spellchance pretty much procs every fight. Utile Dulci already made good arguments for the others, except the staff. I myself am still looking for a reason to use the staff. I do love the Bettleshell Spellbind it gives. But just can't figure out a build to make the staff worth it. Anyone have some super secret Greenstone staff build they'd like to share?

I got your backs

-Sking

It´s pretty good on a monk, and a staff is the only 2h weapon I allow myself to use on monks for roleplay reasons.

I myself am still looking for a reason to use the staff. I do love the Bettleshell Spellbind it gives…

At least in v2 you could cast Beetleshell on a charmed enemy, you can then treat them as a *packed lunch* to be finished off later  :devil:

• 2 & 4 - The dagger (The Unlabored Blade) and Nightshroud both qualify for the same weapon focus, and the dagger is absolutely amazing. While the nighshround doesn't seem that great, it helps with Shadowing Beyond, not to mention that Finishing Blows are a downright insane ability. Try it.

Soulbound weapons use whatever Weapon Focus you have. They are universal. So you could say that they all qualify for the same weapon focus. Same as summoned weapons by the way.

Speaking of summoned weapons (no, I don't mean brindle88 although he has that corrosive lash on him) - did anyone tested that summoned Blackbow on a wizard yet?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Oh Gods - he's back!

He's just giving his opinion, but if you disagree you're trolling ;)
I don't know. I never figured Brindle to be a troll, considering as how he just gives his opinion and, to me at least, doesn't seem to try and elicit certain types of response from the other participants in a conversation as a troll usually would. In fact, I do find some of his posts interesting or genuinely funny to read. For example, it was only today that I realised that the item description of St Ydwens redeemer does indeed not mention anything about the particular conditions that it needs to meet for it to instantaneously destroy vessels. Yet, I had somehow always 'known' about those conditions that it needed to meet in order to do just that,which only proved to me that I spend too much time lurking on these forums. In that sense, I might almost say that Brindle's idiosyncratic posts perform a valuable function in leading the people on these forums to the realisation of profound self-insight, some might even say, attaining enlightenment...

Alright alright, in regards to that latter part: I kid. That said, while I do not consider Brindle a troll per se, I have indeed yet to discover the rationale behind his idiosyncratic method of writing on this forum.

Edited by gogocactus
  • Like 3

I use the Staff on my Druid since he's a primary staff user (for RP reasons). It's...I admit, it's not the best weapon for a Druid. The Elemental summon effect is nifty when it procs, as I have a free flank, but I wish I could replace the Nature's Mark effect. Now that we don't have Per encounter spells like before, it's a bit more useful as it saves me a spell cast, but still, not the best for a Druid. Free Beetle Shell is cool when I remember it, and I'm glad to have Iron Skin even though I never use it.

All in all, the reason I use it is because there aren't too many good unique quarterstaves out there. It's a good weapon class, don't get me wrong, but none too many good uniques.

• Like 1

I need to try it out with a monk, but one of my problems with it is so many enemies in WM are immune to crush. I mean obviously I can switch it out and whatnot, but that sorta defeats the purpose of a fancy soulbound weapon imo.

My first WM playthrough I gave it to Aloth, but then switched it to Hiravias. I kind of sort of like it for him, but eh. I haven't tried it on Zahua (for some reason I don't play him much?? don't know why) or when I had a monk pc.

But yeah another soulbound quarter staff type situation would be nice. :)

The staff has potential on a monk for the simply reason that it gets a paralysis proc and paralysis is damn good.

True, but the staff is so damn slow compared to using fists ... and it does the same type of damage, so it's not even a good alternative to fist when fighting foes that immune to Crush.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The staff has potential on a monk for the simply reason that it gets a paralysis proc and paralysis is damn good.

True, but the staff is so damn slow compared to using fists ... and it does the same type of damage, so it's not even a good alternative to fist when fighting foes that immune to Crush.

Sure, but if you max out dex, use a light armor with durgan (i.e wayfarers) and chug pots of deleterious motions you can actually swing pretty damn fast.

Does it do less DPS than fists? Yes. But the spellbinds are very nice.

I went a little trigger happy with the items lol
The staff is on my druid. Since hes second line anyway to be close enough for heals and such ( No priest run ) plus clutch beetle shell saves are nifty
Sword and shield on fighter. The pain he can bring with the survivability of the shields proc is really quite nice
Hammer on chanter. This is my pc and naturally has Convo stats so the extra might is a great blessing, Plus 20+ int with the per enc stun is just...funny.
Bow on ranger (with confusion bow on standby) Twin arrows, driving flight, Outlanders, Potion = mess.
Paladin has the dagger for now mostly for the extra healing chains (Again no priest so any clutch healing is nice) plus it wrecks
And mage has the wand which is prolly one of my fav weapons in the whole game on him. Redic acc with gaze, Motion, Martial, Blast with pen = worlds of pain with free CC and a beefy raw hit for anything that wonders too close. All in all i like the weapons, Side from sleeper, redeemer,night, and Twin >.>. I have a long hate for twin.

We get it already!  You don't like rangers and prefer spellcasters to guys with physical ranged weapons.  Enough already!

But IMO, you're wrong to say that Storm Caller doesn't justify selecting a rangers because all you do is use a bow.  That's YOUR opinion.  Other people disagree.  And you should say so a LOT more clearly, like starting the sentence with "IMO".

I personally prefer a playstyle that isn't nearly so arcane heavy.  I prefer to have as few spellcasters as I can get away with, because that's how *I* prefer to play!  And that's ALL the justification I need to play a ranger, with or without Stormcaller!!!

Hey brindle88,

I got your backs

-Sking

I would probably take another weapon slot, and just have that thing in reserve for when you need it. Making it like a cross class talent. Works better on a quick switch build though, I hate that delay timer.