Please, give us companion full respec tool

It's a fantasy world, it's not as if modern British voices are somehow more appropriate there than American ones.

Well, i found out very recently (and was quite surprised by that) that unlike we, french people, many not native english speakers or foreign people feel that US accent is the "correct one". i mean it in the way that they are bred with it, used to it, while we are bred with the english one all the way long, and barely ever listen to an american guy speaking. They feel that english accent is weird, while i feel the american one is weird. That may be why this "American" thing struck me more than many other people around here. And why i feel that many voice acts defeat their purpose in a setting that is not american (especially companions in a fantasy game). I just can't help but be like "wow!! what is this? american?". Not quite the good reaction when you hear a dwaf from southern frozen countries telling you her story :p.

I believe WM2 offers a barbarian companion. thumbsup.gif

It indeed does.

And I must say, I love the character.

Someone at Obsidian clearly nailed the whole "characters are not defined by their class" thing. Devil of Caroc and the barbarian-woman-whos-name-escapes-me-right-now are perfect examples of that.

I had Manega (that barbarian woman) in my party for a while yesterday.  Her character seemed fine, though I just don't know how to get the most out of barbarians.  The one thing that bothered me about her was her voice.  It just seemed ... wrong .... to me.  Given the size of Aumaua, it feels wrong that she doesn't have a deeper voice.  (Deeper for a woman, that is, of course.)  She sounded too sweet and kinda, sorta petite.  It was a little off-putting to me, same as I find Sagani's (complete lack of an) accent off-putting because as I've said in the past, it seems far too "American" and not nearly foreign enough.  OTOH, Pallegina's accent is absolutely wonderful in its foreignness.  Understandable, yet foreign and exotic.

Regardless, it's nice to have Companions to cover every class finally.  I just wish that they'd (all) been findable closer to the start of the storyline.  Maybe the rogue most of all.

Lol. I'm totally with you :). Most voices are way to "normal" for characters that are more "otherworldly". It's like a random guy voiced a "very specific and non "eathly" one with a random voice. And in the end, i strongly felt this "too American" thing all the game long. "Wanna see, gonna go", and so on. Even Eder seems to have a close relationship with some films with Clint Eastwood... Pallegina is indeed one of the very few character whose voice is "believable" to me.

And all this is probably why i don't like voice acting in games. Ones like New Vegas may be ok (because of the setting), but all this u.s. thing feel nothing like fantasy to me.

IIRC, the devs have said that the Dyrwood is supposed to be a conceptual parallel to the US in some ways, which I sorta take to extend to "American" accents.  And that's OK. 

I like that Pallegina's accent sounds very foreign, as in Dyrwoodan (aka American English with a neutral American accent) is not her native language (Vallian is).  And yet when one listens to Sagani, who clearly comes from an even more distant land, sounds like a native Dyrwoodan.  It doesn't pass the laugh test for me.  Seriously, would it have been all that hard to find a voice actress who spoke with (whether natively or could put one on) some accent that didn't sound so neutral American?  Something a little rustic perhaps?  Heck, even Callisca in the intro had more accent than Sagani.

And BTW, I don't mind Eder's accent.  He is, after all, a native Dyrwoodan.  And Aloth sorta has a little bit of an accent.  Zahua has some sort of accent, although his wonder deep voice could cover a multitude of sins here.  OTOH, Mahena's voice is too syrupy sweet for how I'd envision a big strong Aumaua woman (and barbarian).

Now that I think on it, for all the complaints of those who wish for more full voice acting, there are times when I wonder if things would be better without any voice acting.   Why?  Because we could use our own imaginations to "hear" the words spoken in text as each of us envisions each character's voice sounding.  But with voice acting, sometimes you end up with a voice that sounds so "wrong" for how one envisions the character that it breaks the immersion.

• Like 1

I wonder if the existing dialog of companions could be altered by the computer to other accents without the cost of actually recording each line with the different accents? - The modified ones would no doubt be inferior to the true voiced ones but they might still suffice for alternate choices. ??

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

It's a fantasy world, it's not as if modern British voices are somehow more appropriate there than American ones.

Well, i found out very recently (and was quite surprised by that) that unlike we, french people, many not native english speakers or foreign people feel that US accent is the "correct one". i mean it in the way that they are bred with it, used to it, while we are bred with the english one all the way long, and barely ever listen to an american guy speaking. They feel that english accent is weird, while i feel the american one is weird. That may be why this "American" thing struck me more than many other people around here. And why i feel that many voice acts defeat their purpose in a setting that is not american (especially companions in a fantasy game). I just can't help but be like "wow!! what is this? american?". Not quite the good reaction when you hear a dwaf from southern frozen countries telling you her story :p.

Modern British English is no more "correct" or "medieval" than modern American English. American English retains some older features that were changed in British English and vice versa, actually. They are both equally valid branches (with many sub-branches of their own), and neither is more "correct" in a fantasy story (which is, after all, a fictional world). 

Well, i just said that it's a question to be used to one or the other ^^. When you are not used to one, you just can't feel it's natural, it strucks you. I'm not fluent with english, so i won't even try to argue about which one in the world is the more "correct" :).

I wonder if the existing dialog of companions could be altered by the computer to other accents without the cost of actually recording each line with the different accents? - The modified ones would no doubt be inferior to the true voiced ones but they might still suffice for alternate choices. ??

Don't know. That would probably need some kind of talent i don't even know about.

Don't know. That would probably need some kind of talent i don't even know about.

Mac's used to have a *speakable alerts* function that allowed you to select from many different Dalek accents  :w00t:

Hello, I've just joined the forums here to reply to this topic.

I really whished too, that there was a legit way to respec your companions since a party of Inn adventurers feels not right in any way, except for combat for sure.

Have to say I'm playing on PotD to enjoy the tactical aspect more, hard didn't give me the creeps.

It's not that the difficulty is to huge, but well, you have to play tactically.

Having seriously gimped characters around isn't quite the spirit if it comes to numbers, and they are important, at least on the highest diff.

My problem with companions is not just that they are mostly build in a very bad way.

It's also what comes along with this and my main character selection.

Fe, I was very interested in a lot of classes (started all over like a dozen times with different classes for main), just to realize that some things work out really awfull because of the companions the game gives you.

Especially during act 1.

If you don't want to gimp your party further, you basically have to go for a tank or hardcore dd.

To me at least, a tank is very boring to micromanage but gives nice dialogue options and is needed since letting Eder doing this job on his own is tricky.

Again, tank to me is boring so everything left needed is a good dd.

DD wise, you are rather forced to go with a class which needs int to deal damage if you want to enjoy more then the basic dialogue without being agressive all the time (might choices).

Those classes are mostly covered by companions already, so you'd end up having two wizards/druids/ciphers and so on.

Not really what I aim for.

After all, I don't get what Aloth for example is supposed to do the way his attribute points are spent.

Like if somone wanted a battlemage, and another one an autoattack aoe char and they decided to try both at the same time.

To make a long post short:

Please give us an option to respec the companions like the main char for gold, covering up their attribute points to spend.

If you don't want to gimp your party further, you basically have to go for a tank or hardcore dd.

To me at least, a tank is very boring to micromanage but gives nice dialogue options and is needed since letting Eder doing this job on his own is tricky.

Again, tank to me is boring so everything left needed is a good dd.

DD wise, you are rather forced to go with a class which needs int to deal damage if you want to enjoy more then the basic dialogue without being agressive all the time (might choices).

Those classes are mostly covered by companions already, so you'd end up having two wizards/druids/ciphers and so on.

Not really what I aim for.

Eder makes a perfectly fine tank even for a gimped PotD run. Rest of the melee characters are fairly squishy until you get your hands on some very specific goodies, especially ones found in WM. You only really need one so that's not much of a problem.

Minmaxing is fairly important as far as optimal damage goes so NPCs don't exactly shine in that regard, although Sagani does a fairly decent job especially if you can keep Itumaak alive - he (pets in general?) does obscene damage for some reason.

Int is important for most classes. Only fighter, monk, ranger, rogue and a tank paladin can safely dump it and all of those have plenty of reasons to still have at least the default amount which you can easily buff by a minimum of 2 with equipment. It isn't used that much during dialogue anyway, resolve is and the only thing annoying about it is the fact it's not just called charisma because that's what it basically is. Plus deflection.

Eder is a good tank, Aloth is perfectly capable of crowd controlling ~everything and Durance has enough int to make him a decent priest. Those are the first three companions you get and they can handle just about any encounter with some damage support.

PoE has its share of flaws but companions that suck in combat is not among them. The ones that don't exactly shine are problematic mostly because of their class, not their stat spread.

I love the companions for the banter, quests, etc, but Kana summons those damn skeletons all the time. I wish I could respec him (and everyone) completely! Poor Pallegina's stats are just awful...

RemoveTalent Companion_Kana(Clone) if_their_bones_sleep_still
but_reny_darets_ghost

Findcharacter Kana to see which clone number he is at first.

The stats reset on reload, as others mentioned, but the other stuff should still be stable.

As for American accents, remember that Dyrwood is an overseas colony of the Aedyran Empire. It would make sense for Dyrwoodans to have American accents and Aedyrans to have British ones.

That's funny, I think of the Dyrwood as Australia.
Edited by Ymarsakar