Paladin 3.0 Build? What would be different now to previous builds?

I've finally decided to start playing POE again with the release of the 2 expansions and some significant patching.

I'd like to play a Paladin for roleplaying reasons (can't get rid of the D&D love of them, despite the differences here).

I'd like a Paladin as the main leader who is excellent at talking (high R, I, P?), who is also a good tank and party buffer.

My question is - can anyone post a build that fits this description, but also taking into account any changes in the 3.0 patch re: abilities & stat selection?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by PneumaticFire
  • Like 1

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

wanna play a tank?

step 1: wait til faiths and convictions is fixed.

HA! Good Fun!

ps folks is gonna tell you what is the necessary or best attribute spreads. don't listen to them.  attributes, even for potd, are not nearly as important as most folks suggest.

example:

wild orlan

old valia

darcozzi paladini

m: 10

c: 9

d: 10

p: 14

i: 19

r: 16

is our current (languishing) paladin. folks will tell you that such attributes is wrong, but he largely roll-stomped potd. is an incredible buffer and more than resilient enough.  you could drop intellect one point and raise perception, and even w/o metagaming and exploiting inn/stronghold rest bonuses, you will rare fail the cerebral dialogue checks.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That's great, thanks for the feedback. 

1)  From what I've experienced and read, some conversation stat checks hit 18-19 (even 20?), so if I were to take away something from above to feed into P, I & R, what would you suggest?

2) For role-play preference I would prefer a larger race  - I was considering Moon Godlike for the healing ability (however no helm), or Pale Elf for the elemental resistances.  For practical reasons I can see how Wild Orlan would be a good choice for the attribute boosts and resistances.  Out of Human, Pale Elf, Moon Godlike, for a tank, which would you prefer?

3) The main reason for this thread - what about attributes for patch 3.0? Eg I believe lay on hands got a boost, so people may choose that over flames of devotion

Thanks again

• Like 1

folks will tell you that such attributes is wrong

Really? Looks totally normal to me.

You really don't need to build your paladin as if he would have to tank a dragon in every encounter. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You really don't need to build your paladin as if he would have to tank a dragon in every encounter. 

our build can tank a dragon quite well, thank you.

as for pneumatic's queries:

1) having at least 15 in an attribute makes almost all dialogue options attainable with the augmenting gear you find as you play.

inn bonuses to attributes can be significant, and food bonuses last a goodly amount of time.  there aren't many dialogue-based attribute checks higher than 18 in the core game. even if you do not feel comfortable metagaming, with our suggested attribute spread, early in the game it is ez to achieve all 18s in the cerebral attributes for virtual all dialogues.

but seriously, don't forget food bonuses.

2) pale elf or moon godlike are both excellent options for a tanky paladin.  the wm expansions have added a few interesting helmets, so keep that in mind when deciding 'tween elf and godlike.

3) ok, this is where things get complicated.  as we noted, Gromnir's potd paladin is a dracozzi paladini with intellect as the attribute score we boost the most, even more so than resolve.  intellect increases durations and area of effect o' many/most o' our paladin auras and abilities.  a shortcoming of paladin auras is that they are a bit limited in the amount of acreage they cover.  high intellect offers a significant boost to your aoe size.  intellect can also substantially increases the duration of your buffs.  so, beyond the obvious sword and shield talent choice, for abilities we make sure to take lay on hands, zealous focus, liberating/inspiring exhortation, hastening exhortation and sacred immolation for late game... but there are so many different choices with arguments in favor of many alternative choices.  inspiring exhortation, for example is of major benefit up until the late portions of the game when you may become rather dismissive of the +10 accuracy boost.  by level 12, we also got flames of devotion and fires of darcozzi palace.  why?  we like to burn things.  *shrug* is not a particular effective ability, but we figured, "what the hell."

we tend to switch things up a bit each time we play.  there aren't many bad abilities for a paladin tank who is also interested in buffing... although inspiring triumph and kill related abilities are not gonna be all that useful.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Speaking of 3.0, Pallegina now gets custom order talents too. Wrath of the five suns is a nice nuke in addition to what it did before, I'm wondering about the other one, Vida Vido something? Extra attack speed on flames of devotion use looks nice, only lasts for some 6 seconds though, am I missing something about it or is it as underwhelming as that seems?

Edited by falchen
  • Like 1

And party AoE (I think).

Yeah, if rather small. Reason #214 to build Intellect on Pallies. Solid buff for damagers on the frontline, and it'll proc twice over two uses of FoD.

• Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Wrath of the five suns is really good for taking out casters. It's fast cast (or feels like it) and has 10 DR bypass. I combined that with Penetrating Shot and Ryona'S Vambraces for a total of 18, also took Prestidigitator's Missiles (8 DR bypass) and all the Missile Scrolls and -items (also get 8 DR bypass on top). Then I gave her Arms Bearer and Lead Spitter and an Exceptional Blunderbuss and Bittercut & Outworn Buckler. All weapons with a burning lash. At the beginning of a fight she usually takes out three casters with all those missiles and FoD shots and then switches to the melee set and turns on Sacred Immolation (got that lately). Scion of Flame makes a lot of sense with her. :) 

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

wanna play a tank?

step 1: wait til faiths and convictions is fixed.

What's wrong with it?

PC Paladins get the NPC's version of Faith and Conviction which raise with level instead of being based on disposition. I actually believe that is a boost at lower level, but it technically cap lower than if you maxed your Order's favored dispositions.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

PC Paladins get the NPC's version of Faith and Conviction which raise with level instead of being based on disposition. I actually believe that is a boost at lower level, but it technically cap lower than if you maxed your Order's favored dispositions.

Ah, I see. Explains why I couldn't see anything wrong with it ingame looking at my hireling paladin. :p Appreciate the reply!

• Like 1

our build can tank a dragon quite well, thank you.

as for pneumatic's queries:

1) having at least 15 in an attribute makes almost all dialogue options attainable with the augmenting gear you find as you play.

inn bonuses to attributes can be significant, and food bonuses last a goodly amount of time.  there aren't many dialogue-based attribute checks higher than 18 in the core game. even if you do not feel comfortable metagaming, with our suggested attribute spread, early in the game it is ez to achieve all 18s in the cerebral attributes for virtual all dialogues.

but seriously, don't forget food bonuses.

2) pale elf or moon godlike are both excellent options for a tanky paladin.  the wm expansions have added a few interesting helmets, so keep that in mind when deciding 'tween elf and godlike.

3) ok, this is where things get complicated.  as we noted, Gromnir's potd paladin is a dracozzi paladini with intellect as the attribute score we boost the most, even more so than resolve.  intellect increases durations and area of effect o' many/most o' our paladin auras and abilities.  a shortcoming of paladin auras is that they are a bit limited in the amount of acreage they cover.  high intellect offers a significant boost to your aoe size.  intellect can also substantially increases the duration of your buffs.  so, beyond the obvious sword and shield talent choice, for abilities we make sure to take lay on hands, zealous focus, liberating/inspiring exhortation, hastening exhortation and sacred immolation for late game... but there are so many different choices with arguments in favor of many alternative choices.  inspiring exhortation, for example is of major benefit up until the late portions of the game when you may become rather dismissive of the +10 accuracy boost.  by level 12, we also got flames of devotion and fires of darcozzi palace.  why?  we like to burn things.  *shrug* is not a particular effective ability, but we figured, "what the hell."

we tend to switch things up a bit each time we play.  there aren't many bad abilities for a paladin tank who is also interested in buffing... although inspiring triumph and kill related abilities are not gonna be all that useful.

HA! Good Fun!

Great feedback.

One more question - I leave it open to change the ability choices etc based on roleplaying and personal preference (as you have above), but what would be your recommendations for ability choices per level for current Paladins?

• Like 1