Kind of regretting buying the DLC's ... can you delete them on Steam?

So I'm kind of feeling like the DLC's are taking away from the main game. Maybe my opinion will change but right now going to the White March feels like a giant distraction that serves no purpose other than to get in to 1,000,000,000,000,000 fights.

Maybe I'm wrong or maybe my opinion just sucks or whatever but I'm wondering if for future playthroughs I can simply delete the White March content and play the base game without having the DLC installed?

I really enjoy the base game it is fantastic but the White March just feels like one big giant fight that never stops. I can just go into Od Nua for that.

So I'm kind of feeling like the DLC's are taking away from the main game. Maybe my opinion will change but right now going to the White March feels like a giant distraction that serves no purpose other than to get in to 1,000,000,000,000,000 fights.

Maybe I'm wrong or maybe my opinion just sucks or whatever but I'm wondering if for future playthroughs I can simply delete the White March content and play the base game without having the DLC installed?

I really enjoy the base game it is fantastic but the White March just feels like one big giant fight that never stops. I can just go into Od Nua for that.

solution: don't play white march content

am not being snarky.  is just kinda an obvious solution given that wm is all optional, much as is the endless paths.  on subsequent playthroughs you can enable story-mode and check out wm w/o having to deal with constant battles, but if you don't like wm content to the degree that you wanna delete, you can simply avoid such content.

*shrug*

honest.  am feeling like Gromnir is missing some aspect of your request/concern.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Perhaps he doesn't want an unfinished entry in his quest log.

(I had one of those at the end of the game because I didn't want to do Berath's quest, blah)

am sensing that you are serious, but am not wholly convinced.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

okie dokie.

am borderline ocd our self, and still finding it difficult to take serious.  you having issues with an incomplete journal don't surprise, but there is an obvious and simple solution to the genesis poster's described problem.  need find a way to delete wm to avoid a quest log entry? 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Heya MonkeyLungs,

Sorry to hear that you don't like the expansion as much as the base game. I do want to encourage you to play through the whole thing; it might grow on you!

If you purchased the game and expansions through steam, there's a quick and easy way to remove them! In your steam library, click on Pillars of Eternity and find the "DLC" section. Un-check the boxes for the expansions and steam will uninstall them. The base game should still work fine, although any saves you created while both expansions were installed won't be available.

Hope that helps  =)

• Like 3

I try my very best.

Would those saves not load at all? I'd have assumed anything where you saved in the main game would be fine but you wouldn't be able to load anything in the expansion. Then again there are expansion spells you might have chosen at level-up that wouldn't be available any more.

Would those saves not load at all? I'd have assumed anything where you saved in the main game would be fine but you wouldn't be able to load anything in the expansion. Then again there are expansion spells you might have chosen at level-up that wouldn't be available any more.

The saves that are created when both expansions are installed simply won't show up when selecting "Load Game" with only the base game installed.

This is to ensure there are no crazy retroactive bugs that might ruin the save entirely, and to make sure the game doesn't get stuck trying to load any asset bundles that are no longer available =)

That being said, if you have any saves that you created before the expansions came out, they should still load fine after reverting back to base game. It just happens on save games created when the expansions are installed.

Hope that clears things up!

I try my very best.

That's just crazy that someone would put their saves at risk just to remove content that is entirely optional to complete the game.  You could think of every bit of the White March expansions as simply side quest content.  What's the difference between the White March and side content in the base game.  You probably like some side content better than others.  Unless you're really overboard completnik, you probably won't get every achievement in the base game.  I don't want to dog pile MonkeyLungs, but not only is there a lack of reason to remove the content, there's a very good reason to leave it.  Don't put your saves at risk because there's optional content you don't like.  Just don't go to the optional content.

Edited by why

bother?

Monkeylungs, like others have stated above, white March part one is rather combat heavy, but part two is where Pillars of Eternity really shines. It's probably one of the best parts in the game in terms of quality of setting, story, interactivity etc. If you don't enjoy it for now, perhaps you can come back to the content once you're high level so that you can breeze through it. Even so, I'm quite sure that you will like white March part two, so don't give up just yet!

• Like 1

Heya MonkeyLungs,

Sorry to hear that you don't like the expansion as much as the base game. I do want to encourage you to play through the whole thing; it might grow on you!

If you purchased the game and expansions through steam, there's a quick and easy way to remove them! In your steam library, click on Pillars of Eternity and find the "DLC" section. Un-check the boxes for the expansions and steam will uninstall them. The base game should still work fine, although any saves you created while both expansions were installed won't be available.

Hope that helps  =)

Thank you very much!

Hopefully the expansion content does grow on me. Who knows maybe in further playthroughs my preference will shift to enjoying combat more than the story? Stranger things have happened.

-----

In response to some of the other stuff in the thread:

-----

Well as I said, I really enjoy the game. Fantastic. Also I will definitely play through the expansion part 1 and 2 (I actually just finished part 1) once and fully explore the expansion to give it a fair chance.

Second I wouldn't try to uninstall the DLC while on this save game due to obvious incompatibility issues.

My question was mainly for future reference. The advice aartz gave is also relevant for other games for me. I'm pretty new to Steam so just learning the ropes.

Sometimes with games I like to play them in their original state (pre-dlc)  and I understand I can just ignore the content but it is easier to ignore if it just isn't there. Also for RP purposes my benevolent ruler of Caed Nua wouldn't just be ignoring a struggling villages pleas for help =)

• Like 2

If combat's really not your thing you can always drop the difficulty down to Story Time. Even if it's just for a few fights that you don't really enjoy it'll help you speed up the time between story points  ;)

• Like 2

I try my very best.

I think the interweb testosterone makes it tough for folks to admit how cool Story Time is, but I love it.  That kind of makes sense in that a lot of us have played these games so much we're practiced, but Story Time is absolutely awesome in that it allows me to include my wife, who hasn't wasted the sheer number of hours, days, weeks, months, years, and (how sad) decades playing these games.  Hell, should she be ashamed that she can't play PotD?  ...Or should I be ashamed that I can?

• Like 2

bother?

Story time is cool, but it doesn't fully solve the problem for me, It just makes the fights really easy. It still feels like the gameplay ratio is very heavily in favor of combat. Obviously this is all just like, my opinion man so it really isn't even that important I just thought I would share my thoughts.

Coincidentally is there a way to slow the combat down even more but not affect the difficulty?

Like, keep the game on normal but make it twice as slow as the current slow mo does? I have a hard time feeling like I am following everything on screen and if I have to pause every 0.25 seconds why not just make the combat turn based?

I was playing a long string of turn based game before this actually ... wasteland 2, dos, shadowrun.

Maybe my brain needs afull playthrough to readjust.

• Like 1

Opinions are totally important MonkeyLungs! Sharing opinions is the best way to learn, grow, and improve as a community =)

I understand where you're coming from; I'm a big fan of turn based combat as well, and it took me a pretty long time to get used to the real-time with pause system. Unfortunately there isn't a way to slow the combat down any more than with the slow button, but hopefully if you stick to it the combat will eventually click and you'll start to enjoy it more.

That being said, White March Part 1 is for sure the most combat-heavy section, so (as mentioned by a few of the other posters) I think you'll enjoy Part 2 a lot more.

If combat's really not your thing you can always drop the difficulty down to Story Time.

Story time solves everything!  Also you have the best Avatar ever on this site, you go aartz!

Nice to see Story Time getting some love, and I appreciate that! =)

Keep being awesome everyone!

I try my very best.

So I am nearing the end of White March part 2.

My opinion hasn't changed too much honestly, although I did enjoy Zahua personal quest.

I kind of get the impression that many players, probably most, would really enjoy the game if it was just tactical squad based diablo with endless boss runs and trying new builds and never-ending leveling and tons and tons of insane loot. While that does sound like it could be exceptionally fun for some it really isn't quite what I am hoping for out of Pillars of Eternity.

I feel like the base game is orders of magnitude better than the expansion content and actually suffers from having the content installed.

I'm really sorry that I feel that way and I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings by sharing my opinion. It's just the way I feel.

• Like 2

It's not like you came out completely trashed the xpacs.  You just didn't like them.

That's fair, but you didn't like the dungeon in WM1?  I loved it.  A bit short, but I wish they'd made the Endless Paths more like the one in the xpac to be honest.  I thought the story flowed much better in the White March.  I haven't gotten to the WM2 content yet, so I can't comment on that though.  The Endless Paths were fun, but too bloated for my tastes.  I wanted more story and less levels.  More tricks and traps and less straight forward fighting.

bother?