[Class Build] The Ascetic: No-Items Solo Monk Guide

Well, it has been much smoother sailing since I leveled up to 10, except when I got to level 7 of Caed Nua. Wind Blights are IMMUNE to my fists. Would adding one of the offensive talents that adds poison, or some such additional damage do the trick? Other ideas anyone? Thanks! What to do against creatures IMMUNE to my skills.

P.S.  I did Cinders of Faith the first try after taking the advice I got here!

Edited by rpmfla

Grab a pair of spears to deal with crush immune foes, add a Spirit slaying enchant plus a lash and you'll be set. They are in the same weapon focus and have a bonus +5 accuracy as well. There are a fair number of crush immunes in White March.

Grab a pair of spears to deal with crush immune foes, add a Spirit slaying enchant plus a lash and you'll be set. They are in the same weapon focus and have a bonus +5 accuracy as well. There are a fair number of crush immunes in White March.

My question was based on the limitations spelled out here of this specific build. No weapons allowed. I figured there was a way to add some other type of damage to fists (elemental, etc.) that would work on the Wind Blights. BTW, the only summon I have is the Oaken Scarab. 

My question was based on the limitations spelled out here of this specific build. No weapons allowed. I figured there was a way to add some other type of damage to fists (elemental, etc.) that would work on the Wind Blights. BTW, the only summon I have is the Oaken Scarab. 

So...anyone want to help me with Wind Blights (and other things immune to fists)?

Don't think there's much you can do to modify Fist damage type, so if weapons are out I'd say your best bet would be to use some scrolls. If those are off the menu as well, you're probably down to retaliation effects or possibly proc on hit effects; as far as I know the latter still trigger even with immunity to the main attack damage, though there probably aren't many to be had for an unarmed, ascetic monk.

I agree with Loren Tyr that scrolls are probably your best bet.

One other option is to use the lightning strike skill for the 25% lighting lash. The damage will be incredibly low, but it's the only thing besides blood testament that modifies fist damage types.

I agree with Loren Tyr that scrolls are probably your best bet.

One other option is to use the lightning strike skill for the 25% lighting lash. The damage will be incredibly low, but it's the only thing besides blood testament that modifies fist damage types.

Thanks Loren Tyr and Stasis Sword. It is fine that the damage would be incredibly low since my monk can actually fight a Wind Blight without taking any damage. By the way, I haven't been adding to Lore so I haven't used scrolls with this build (my Monk is lvl 12).

Well, for just Wind Blights a bunch of Fan of Flames scrolls should be plenty, so you'd only need two lore. You can just get that with a resting bonus, no need to invest points. Though Blunt-resistant enemies later on might require a bit more than that, so it could be useful to invest some points in it later. Even if you put in just three, with resting bonus and +3 lore Rite you can easily get it up to eight when needed, to get more potent scrolls.

Well, for just Wind Blights a bunch of Fan of Flames scrolls should be plenty, so you'd only need two lore. You can just get that with a resting bonus, no need to invest points. Though Blunt-resistant enemies later on might require a bit more than that, so it could be useful to invest some points in it later. Even if you put in just three, with resting bonus and +3 lore Rite you can easily get it up to eight when needed, to get more potent scrolls.

Yes, I did read somewhere that White March added several enemy types that resist the damage my Monk does with just fists (crush damage I believe). I managed to get to lvl 10 or so without even drinking potions, so I really enjoyed the minimalist approach to this build. However, if there are multiple high lvl enemies later on that are immune to my main attack I will have to resort to scrolls. I really wish I could just "enhance" my fists to do elemental damage or something similar. This build is so uncomplicated (no equipment, etc. to worry about...I'm basically running around in a loincloth ; ))

Thanks for your advice!

• 5 months later...

I don't want to Necro this thread, but was wondering about gear for this build? I've been using this build now for the last week, and I enjoy playing the monk, but I'm now being faced with gear choices I don't know which to buy or focus on. I'm not talking armor for chest. It's the rings, cape, gloves, belt options I need help on.

I don't want to Necro this thread, but was wondering about gear for this build? I've been using this build now for the last week, and I enjoy playing the monk, but I'm now being faced with gear choices I don't know which to buy or focus on. I'm not talking armor for chest. It's the rings, cape, gloves, belt options I need help on.

This build uses none of those things.

Lash damage works vs 0.25 target DR vs lash damage type even if the target is immune to the weapon's damage type. So in theory monks could use lashes (turning wheel, lightning strike, blood testament, etc) to kill crush immune targets with fists..

In practice this is much more viable to rogues that actually have the damage bonuses to make that work than on monks that lack solid damage bonuses ..

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

Depends. If the base damage is good enough lashes are also good without base damge mods (monk's fists, druid's claws/tusks/horns). But true: of course it's even better if you can combine both.

However, monks can have Savage Attack, Two Hande Style (debateable if this is worth it) and Appr. Sneak Attack as well as stakable flanking/vicious bonuses from items and survival. If you use your monk as a flanker (or have a cipher with Phantom Foes in your ranks) and sum those dmg mods up and then add his nice lashes the overall damage gets pretty nasty. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 years later...

You can solo all bosses with a lvl-1 ranger. Look at the "noober" build.

What exactly do you want to know?

This challenging build uses no items - so it's of course harder to solo the content with it than with some other builds.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods