[3.01] Wildstrike increases spell damage while in spiritshift form

Nebbleif

Question

Hi!

I just noticed that the druid spells did a lot more damage when spiritshifted. Checking the combat log, it seems that the wildstrike talent adds damage not only to the melee attack but also to all spells casted while spiritshifted. See the combat log on the attached screenshot: Druid levelled to 4 using console, and has taken Wildstrike Shock and Greater Wildstrike Shock, casting Winter Wind on a young wolf. Combat log shows the spell doing 45 cold damage, but also adding 20 shock damage. Final damage is 45+20 = 65.  

I haven't much experience with druids, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work like this?

post-161021-0-30733100-1456243783_thumb.png

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Actually, is it possible this is intended?

The Talent itself says nothing about it being restricted to melee:

bqzqzzC.png

If this is indeed a bug, I would suggest amending the Talent text to reflect the fact that it only affects melee. While I had always assumed that it only affected the melee damage of the spiritshifted druid, the Talent actually doesn't specify, and it could be considered an incentive to cast spells while spiritshifted, or to spiritshift just for casting, since Spiritshift usually tends to clash with a ranged or primarily-caster-druid (which, tbh, is what druids usually become, anyway, but the potential issues of the druid class is another topic).

A possible compromise (since +30% is absolutely crazy for spells, really) would be to expressly make it apply differently to melee and to damage in general, such as 30% to melee, and 10% to all other damage. Or something.

t50aJUd.jpg

Extra damage for spells would be really OP early game but would become more or less balanced later, i think. That's because of all those shiny, awesome items you're going to loose when spiritshifted.

I'm thinking of high level druid talent that makes Wildstrike bonus apply for all druid attacks.

Vancian =/= per rest.

Hey guys,

This has been fixed in the 3.02 patch! It was indeed really OP and TBH I really liked it.  :biggrin:

Awww. Back to back-row casting and never using Spiritshift, Hiravias.

Can I assume that the description was also amended?

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Awww. Back to back-row casting and never using Spiritshift, Hiravias.

Why?

Hiravias can be made to dish out quite a bit of damage when spiritshifted.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus