NFL 2016 Season

Gromnir

am not having seen anything from prescott that would make us believe that he is ready for the nfl.  completion % were, at best, not good, especially when one considers the kinda passes being thrown.  yardage total for the number o' passes were also extreme low. the giants dl were good against the run, but is not as if they were chasing dak all over the field.  in the absence o' passing numbers, there were no dynamic running from dak to impress us. am suspecting that if the giants had scored 50 points and won the game, people would be talking 'bout how awful were prescott. 

regardless, is week 1. is dak prescott's week 1 in multiple senses of the word. the number of forgotten nfl qbs that actual looked fantastic in their first game is considerable.  the number of great nfl qbs that looked terrible in their first outing is legion.  heck rick mirer won rookie of the year as a seahawk and after one season, the debate 'bout whether vince young thrive in the nfl were hardly finished after year or week 1. particularly for dual-threat qbs on whom there is no nfl film, defenses will play extreme conservative. trying to gauge any level of future qb success at this time would be premature.

dak got the w.  

not just prescott, but week 1 sunday is typical followed by overreaction monday.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Saints appear to be punting on the season after releasing Spiller. I wouldn't be surprised if they release Byrd next to get as much dead money as possible into this years cap, then extend Vaccaro and Breaux with what's left and start looking at next offseason...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

2016 ... Year of the Franchise Player Injury.

New Orleans at San Diego... I suspect some type of Biblical Calamity will somehow prevent either team from winning.
  • Like 3

As a long suffering Dallas fan Ive kinda taken the postion of "dont get your hopes up because, well.....Dallas." Then yesterday I felt validated when they immediately went down by two TD's like "See!". After I re-righted my coffee table I was about to change channels when my brain said "no, you sit there and eat it as a lesson on, well.....Dallas, and not to get your hopes up." Then incredibly they started fighting back, two rookies in the backfield and three starters missing from the offence, they fight back to tie it by the half and win in the end. Dare I say it? HUZZAH!

Undefeated Vikings, wow. That's it, I'm packing up and moving to Minneapolis, joining the purple win wagon aboard their new gigantic glass galley.

Been too long since I pushed a snowblower and spread salt on the sidewalk. I'm gonna wear purple gloves and earmuffs when I do, because that's what winners do.

All Stop. On Screen.

As a long suffering Dallas fan Ive kinda taken the postion of "dont get your hopes up because, well.....Dallas." Then yesterday I felt validated when they immediately went down by two TD's like "See!". After I re-righted my coffee table I was about to change channels when my brain said "no, you sit there and eat it as a lesson on, well.....Dallas, and not to get your hopes up." Then incredibly they started fighting back, two rookies in the backfield and three starters missing from the offence, they fight back to tie it by the half and win in the end. Dare I say it? HUZZAH!

I'm trying to not get overly excited, since it was the Niners and the Niners D is garbage, but Zeke looked like a high 1st round pick last Sunday and, dare I say it, very Emmitt Smith-ian. He was being patient in the backfield, allowing the line to create a gap, then bursting through it, then finally taking defenders for severalmore yards when getting tackled. Plus, Dak looks like a legitimate NFL starting QB. Of course, the true test will be when the Boys play a top level defense.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Rookie TE Hunter Henry, first career touchdown. Time to celebrate.

With enough bourbon to forget SD's final three possessions: fumble, fumble, interception.

God hates the Chargers, Saints are playing guys who've been working as real estate agents due to the epic injury deluge, ffs.

Rookie TE Hunter Henry, first career touchdown. Time to celebrate.

With enough bourbon to forget SD's final three possessions: fumble, fumble, interception.

God hates the Chargers

that may be a reasonable explanation. like every nfl team, the chargers have been hit with key injuries early in this season.  am tending to blame the early-season injuries the last couple years on the cba and limits placed on off-season/pre-season conditioning and practice.  regardless, the chargers have been hit by injuries, but not more than other teams... such as the vikings. the chargers is just... weird. philip rivers is a great qb just as long as the team is way ahead or has no chance o' winning.  in close games, rivers is preternatural likely to make a bonehead mistake.  is unnatural. is not as if the chargers is the worstest turnover team in the league, but the timing o' their turnovers is, again, unnatural.  if games ended after 3 quarters, the chargers would be a perennial playoff contender, but their 4th quarter collapses is unnatural.

chargers need to change the culture o' the team.  figure out how to do that w/o firing a coach this early in the season is a tough task... and am not believing that getting a new coach would fix the problems.  

perhaps god does hate the chargers.  am honest at a loss for a better explanation.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I expected Cincy to be Dallas' first big test (and they still might be in the second half, it's not over yet) but my Boys took the Bengals to the woodshed in the first half.  Dak continues to impress and Zeke and Morris are running the ball all over Cincy's D.  More importantly, now with a couple guys back from suspension, the Dallas D looks much better.  I still don't think they're a great D, but they're not terrible either.  The pass rush was in Dalton's face all throughout the first half.

Gotta keep it up for 2 more quarters and it's first place in the NFC East (thanks Lions).  :biggrin:

Edit: After a missed FG from Cincy my mutha****ing man Zeke just ripped off a 60 yard TD run! WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO! 28-0!  How 'bout dem Cowboys?

Edit 2: Final Score Boys 28 - 14 Bengals.  All 14 of Cincy's points came in garbage time (the 4th quarter, when the game was already over).  Dallas is now 4-1 and leading the NFC East.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Okay, I got it ... let's see, here ... der ta der ... median home price, Minneapolis-St. Paul: $242K. Number of pounds of snow thrown by the Honda HS1336 with track-drive: 3,000 per minute. Value of my soon-to-be new home team, the undefeated Minnesota Vikings: priceless. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Primetime games have been absolutely horrible garbagefests this year. Things looked so good after that first Panthers-Broncos game...been pretty horrible since then.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I think Panthers are pretty much done this year.  While I'm not yet convinced that the dirty birds are the real deal, 1-4 is a start that teams very rarely recover from.  Carolina basically needs to go 9-2 the rest of the way to get a playoff spot.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Possible...but not probable: see the Chiefs last year, who started off 1-5, then won 10 in a row.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Never tell me the odds. 

The San Diego Chargers are a one-in-30 million story. The bad kind.

Mike McCoy's team is 1-4 and in the cellar of the AFC West. But it's how the Chargers got here that separates them from the pack.

According to Pro-FootballReference.com, the Chargers had two instances in their first five games where they had a 99.9 percent chance to win (Week 1 against Chiefs, Week 4 against Saints) and managed to lose both games. Additionally, they had a 84.7 percent win probability against the Colts in Week 3 and a 77.9 percent chance to prevail against the Raiders on Sunday. They lost those games, too.

"So if you ran a computer simulation of these games from these points 30 million times, the Chargers would lose all four just once," financial analyst Seth Bienstock told The Wall Street Journal.

That's right. The Chargers had a 0.0000034 percent chance of losing all four of those games ... and they pulled it off. The Chargers are lottery losers for the ages.

Welcome to the Pain Rankings, guys.

By Dan Hanzus nfl.com

All Stop. On Screen.

My Boys are now 5-1 heading into the bye week after embarrassing the Cheeseheads in their own stadium.  Dak finally threw his first pick, but not until after he broke the all-time record for pass attempts without an interception to start a career (new record: 177 pass attempts without an int) and being impressive throughout the day.  Zeke had his 4th straight 130+ yard rushing game against what was previously one of the very best rushing defenses in the league.  Dallas is rolling.  Enjoy a heaping spoonful of ****eating grin Jerry Jones.  Let it enter your pores, soak into your brain through osmosis, and haunt your nightmares.

jerry-yes.gif

:fdevil:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

No real surprises here: until Rodgers gets out of his funk, the Packers' offense will look bad, particularly when compounded with Mike McCarthy's supreme stubbornness regarding the game plan and playcalling and "execution". Packers had some easy shots to get back in the game, but they were either overthrown, underthrown, intercepted, or fumbled away. Get well soon, Rodgers - your team is depending on it.

Yeah, the Packers offense is definitely off this year and Rodgers is missing tons of throws he routinely makes.  The 4 turnovers didn't help either.  That said, I'll happily take the W.  I've particularly been impressed with the Boys ability to close games out this year.  In years past they'd have a lead late in the game then continuously go 3 and out and let it slip away in the 4th quarter.  Today, and several times this year already, they just marched right down the field and scored the game sealing TD, like you're supposed to do as a division leading team.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

My Boys are now 5-1 heading into the bye week after embarrassing the Cheeseheads in their own stadium.  Dak finally threw his first pick, but not until after he broke the all-time record for pass attempts without an interception to start a career (new record: 177 pass attempts without an int) and being impressive throughout the day.  Zeke had his 4th straight 130+ yard rushing game against what was previously one of the very best rushing defenses in the league.  Dallas is rolling.  Enjoy a heaping spoonful of ****eating grin Jerry Jones.  Let it enter your pores, soak into your brain through osmosis, and haunt your nightmares.

[snip]

:fdevil:

For those who need an antidote to that image:

hqn4YiJ.jpg

• Like 4

I expect once Romo is healthy again he'll be pointed to the bench. Prescott is on fire right now (despite two turnovers today). I guess he;ll take it with grace since he got his job in the same way. 

Am I the only one that would love to see the NFL abandon the throwback uniform thing? For one game every year the Packers, Jets, Steelers, Lions, and Bears trot out looking like a rural high school team from the '80s. Enough already. That goes for those God-awful color rush uniforms too.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell