NFL 2016 Season

Gromnir

It sounds like Teddy Bridgewater has suffered some sort of serious leg injury and may be out for the season. They called an ambulance to cart him off the field...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

stuff

am assuming you read, but you observing lack o' detail seems to miss the point. the article notes that that there ain't a whole lotta substantive money issues to be argued over 'tween player and a team precise 'cause o' the cba. but yeah, unless you were in the room with bosa's folks and the chargers, the only details 'bout the signing bonus you is gonna have is the the ones the chargers released regarding the deal they claim bosa rejected... so...

is not all that complicated, and delayed signing bonuses is kinda ordinary 'cross industries.  yes, the cba makes bosa options different than those available to an accountant or attorney or engineer, but that is 'cause the nfl rookie pay is resulting from a C. B. A. that the freaking players agreed to.  wanna discuss anti-trust with enoch?  be our guest.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

stuff

am assuming you read, but you observing lack o' detail seems to miss the point. the article notes that that there ain't a whole lotta substantive money issues to be argued over 'tween player and a team precise 'cause o' the cba. but yeah, unless you were in the room with bosa's folks and the chargers, the only details 'bout the signing bonus you is gonna have is the the ones the chargers released regarding the deal they claim bosa rejected... so...

is not all that complicated, and delayed signing bonuses is kinda ordinary 'cross industries.  yes, the cba makes bosa options different than those available to an accountant or attorney or engineer, but that is 'cause the nfl rookie pay is resulting from a C. B. A. that the freaking players agreed to.  wanna discuss anti-trust with enoch?  be our guest.  

HA! Good Fun!

Sorry, I may not have made this very clear from the previous post, but I've tried to keep very up to date on the situation, and so all the "there isn't much to argue about in the first place thanks to the CBA" was very old info to me, hence why I didn't really get much out of it being repeated in the WaPo article.

In regards to the negotiation, the NFL is a complete and utter joke for keeping things secret...but it's also a joke for reporting things accurately - see early claims from the media originating from "anonymous NFL sources" that ended up being complete baloney. From what I remember being reported and talked about in the early days of the situation, though, the Chargers were initially offering extremely poor signing bonus percentages (I think it was right about half of the maximum, either a little higher or a little lower), and did not offer the expected offset language going with such a poor signing bonus - that's all Bosa was asking for, one or the other, as would be absolutely typical for where he was drafted. Then they refused to talk or negotiate with Bosa at all for about two weeks straight...and then finally came up with that "take it or we'll take it back" offer, which still did not offer as much of a signing bonus percentage (I think it was then 85%) combined with, again, not having any of offset stuff, causing Bosa to (at least somewhat rightfully) reject it. That final offer was much closer to what should've been normal, but still just not quite there...but what was absolutely asinine was them cutting off negotiations entirely for so stinking long after rejecting their absurd initial offers - which in themselves were insulting enough - and then the "we take it back" crap for that final offer. So, ultimately, I just have zero sympathy whatsoever for the Chargers organization - all of my sympathy rests entirely with Bosa and Chargers fans.

Yeah, of that stuff reported might have been nonsense...but given the contract that ultimately got done (as well as what we knew about the "take it or we'll take it back" offer), it seems to more or less fit.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

aside the kaepernick protest reveals a fundamental disconnect 'mongst many folks.  if a backup qb wants to sit during the national anthem to protest a national ill, we got sympathy.  sure, no reporters at the actual game noted the protest 'cause kaepernick ain't actual relevant at the moment.  more significant is the fact that the perceived social ill is not w/i the federal power to fix. make changes to fbi and marshal service procedures?  sure, but individual municipalities and state Police Power is specific excepted from the fed by the US Constitution.  part o' the reason blm and other groups face an uphill battle for change is 'cause the fed is extreme limited regarding what it can do to alter local and state police behavior. 

"There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

ok, but is California and san francisco and danville and turlock that deserve kaepernick ire.  the backup qb protest identifies a fundamental lack o' awareness.  anger directed at America over police actions is misguided.  Obama, as the President, has the power to bring national awareness, but is not a Constitutional granted power.  there simple ain't anything for the government o' the USA to do in this matter. protest inaction o' any fed actor or agency save the President is misguided.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Kaepernick also had other complaints, including about mental health and (poor) treatment of veterans(?*) and the complete jokes that are our presidential nominees...that lead to his shenanigans, but those were never reported by the media. They only reported the stuff that would make him look as bad as possible to the majority of other NFL players and fans: the contentious BLM stuff. As should be obvious by now, I have total contempt for the NFL as an organization and NFL media in general, but they somehow managed to make me feel even more after learning just a little more about the situation and noticing the complete lack of coverage of his side of the story, coverage that might have softened people's views toward him at least just a little.

*O.K., I admit, even I sorta skimmed all that he was talking about...the overall point still stands, though, that it wasn't some stupid, single-note complaint leading to such silly grandstanding.

Edited by Bartimaeus

doesn't actual help kaepernick to note that he were protesting all kinda unrelated stuff.  sit during national anthem to protest nfl behavior?  makes even worse.  oh, and his initial protest were mistreatment o' blacks, specific by cops.  yeah, he is protesting all kinda other stuff, but when asked 'bout the national anthem protest, he were not misquoted.

HA! Good Fun!

And that's fair, but...if you're gonna cover him one of those things, please cover him on the other stuff, too...

There are also the vague, totally unsubstantiated reports of him converting to Islam... All of it just really makes me hate the media so very much.

And that's fair, but...if you're gonna cover him one of those things, please cover him on the other stuff, too...

no.

hell no.

why does kaepernick get special treatment just 'cause he protested?  is it the reporter's duty to ask the backup qb 'bout all his other political views and his feelings regarding the nfl... and puppies... how does he feel about puppies?

reporter asked kaepernick why he sat.  kaepernick explained why he sat. reporter then reported what were kaepernick's response.  a multitude o' news agencies then ran with the story.  *shrug* is no duty on the reporter to try and make kaepernick look better or worse.  sure, some reporters will have an agenda, and they will provide context that skews.  that ain't unusual.  nevertheless, the reporters did report the facts accurate, and we not see any duty for them to dig deeper and plumb the depths o' kaepernick's soul.

HA! Good Fun!

If the story was worth reporting to begin with, follow up on that report, particularly if that wasn't all there was to the story, which, by all accounts, it wasn't. Instead, they got one juicy bit that they ("they" being a combination of people, the organization who initially questioned him about it and then all these idiot talking heads going on and on about it) are using to drag his name through the mud for views and clicks, and they don't care about anything else he had to say on the matter. If it's SUCH a big deal, you'd think they'd want to know more about it and report about it. Instead...nothing: let the public drubbing continue.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Today I reached Stage 4 of Cowboys Fans.

Stage 1: Alright, we're looking good.  Romo can lead us to the playoffs provided he stays upright.

Stage 2: OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD ROMO IS DONE! WE'RE FINISHED. *thinks about chugging bottle of bleach*

Stage 3: Well the Romo season ending injury was inevitable. *sigh* I knew it was coming. *curls up in fetal position and cries*

Stage 4: Sooooo, how about that Dak Prescott.  He sure is lookin' good in the preseason.  I mean, he mostly just needs to hand the ball off to Zeke anyway, right?  Right? *fidgets nervously*

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dakk's level of play is certainly encouraging, at the very least. We'll see what happens in the regular season, though: pre-season play is noted for lacking the normal game plan scheming that makes offense and defense most effective.

Today I reached Stage 4 of Cowboys Fans.

Stage 1: Alright, we're looking good.  Romo can lead us to the playoffs provided he stays upright.

Stage 2: OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD ROMO IS DONE! WE'RE FINISHED. *thinks about chugging bottle of bleach*

Stage 3: Well the Romo season ending injury was inevitable. *sigh* I knew it was coming. *curls up in fetal position and cries*

Stage 4: Sooooo, how about that Dak Prescott.  He sure is lookin' good in the preseason.  I mean, he mostly just needs to hand the ball off to Zeke anyway, right?  Right? *fidgets nervously*

Me too man, me too. If somehow, someway, Dak Prescott is a starting caliber NFL qb then it would be awesome to pair him with Elliot and that young o-line for years to come.

• Like 1

If the story was worth reporting to begin with, follow up on that report, particularly if that wasn't all there was to the story, which, by all accounts, it wasn't. Instead, they got one juicy bit that they ("they" being a combination of people, the people who initially questioned him about it and then all these idiot talking heads going on and on about it) are using to drag his name through the mud for views and clicks, and they don't care about anything else he had to say on the matter. If it's SUCH a big deal, you'd think they'd want to know more about it and report about it. Instead...nothing: let the drubbing continue.

the story were the protest.  the reason for the protest were reported accurate.  am not certain how you can see some kinda duty to "follow up on the report."  

and no, we don't think it is a big deal.  is no big deal 'cause kaepernick is hardly relevant-- the protest went initial unnoticed after all.  we only mention 'cause kaepernick and the talking heads seem to all be missing an essential factor: the US can't do anything to bring 'bout the changes kaepernick wants.  is a bit like Gromnir walking into a dunkin donuts and lighting a boston creme ablaze... to protest nike's use o' cheap foreign labor.  is nonsensical.

HA! Good Fun!

the story were the protest.  the reason for the protest were reported accurate.  am not certain how you can see some kinda duty to "follow up on the report."  

Accurate, but incomplete. It isn't quite lying by omission - because yes, Keapernick was stupid enough to only give that initial answer - but the more trash talking I hear about Kaepernick as a result of this story, the more it begins to feel like it, particularly when the media seems to have no interest in trying to help set the record a little more straight.

If the media's only duty is to make money and be at least technically honest (avoiding breaking any laws and also thus not having any qualms about not bothering to follow up a story that affects the general perception of a person), then I'll be trying my best to avoid giving the media any clicks or views...

...But I already try to do that anyways.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Accurate, but incomplete. It isn't quite lying by omission - because yes, Keapernick was stupid enough to only give that initial answer - but the more trash talking I hear about Kaepernick as a result of this story, the more it begins to feel like it, particularly when the media seems to have no interest in trying to help set the record a little more straight.

If the media's only duty is to make money and be at least technically honest (avoiding breaking any laws and also thus not having any qualms about not bothering to follow up a story that affects the general perception of a person), then I'll be trying my best to avoid giving the media any clicks or views...

...But I already try to do that anyways.

there is no lie by omission.  how did the media lie by omission?  kaepernick has other things he wanna protest?  fine.  that don't change at all why he sat for the national anthem.  the reporter reported kaepernick's response as to why.  they did accurate and Complete.  were not that kaepernick gave more answer but the reporter only printed half the answer.  That would be lie by omission.  fact that kaepernick failed to give a good answer is not fault o' the reporter.  is no duty on the reporter to do other than report accurate.

lie by omission?  not even close. you are being unfair to the initial reporter regarding this story.  you got a particular beef with a few reporters that went overboard and spun nonsense 'bout kaepernick?  fine.  link the bad stories.  am betting there were more than a few.  we can also link dozens o' brief reports that provided just the facts w/o any kinda editorializing. regardless, this is a poor example for media fails as a whole.  kaepernick has gotten more attention and more coverage than his protest likely deserves.  his protest, and the reason for protest were covered and covered accurate, and kaepernick even got substantial follow-up from many sources.  not a good example.

HA! Good Fun!

"it isn't quite lying by omission"

also, in the post before last, I did separate the way I was referring to the media - the people who initially questioned him, and the people trashing him

Edited by Bartimaeus

Packers had a punter competition all pre-season long...and decided just now to cut both of them (including long-time punter Masthay) and sign somebody totally new that was so bad he couldn't even make it on the Buccaneers (who, no, did not have good punting last season). How very odd.

Edited by Bartimaeus

"it isn't quite lying by omission"

also, in the post before last, I did separate the way I was referring to the media - the people who initially questioned him, and the people trashing him

it isn't anything like lying by omission. nothing from his statement were left out o' the report. 49ers backup qb views on other topics, political and personal, were wholly irrelevant to determining whether kaepernick's reasoning were reported accurate.

*shrug*

a backup qb sits for national anthem and gets far more coverage than would bart if somebody noticed him sit.  am not seeing any reason to complain 'bout media as a whole. there was nothing for the media to set straight regarding his protest or the coverage o' kaepernick's response.  of course they had no reason to "help set the record a little more straight" (enough qualifiers?) 'cause the record is pretty darn straight regarding what were said by kaepernick.  and the media understandably has no interest in correcting every other media source that were too mean to kaepernick. 

kaepernick got no special insights on the issue, but simple by being a backup qb he got far more attention than would you.  to complain 'bout media being unfair to kaepernick strikes us as a difficult proposition to swallow.

HA! Good Fun!

In other news, Teddy Bridgewater is out for the season with a dislocated knee (torn ACL, structural damage, no arterial or nerve damage). Awful news...but not as bad it could've been given the circumstances - there were legitimate fears there would be nerve and perhaps arterial damage, which would likely be a career ender.

In other news, Teddy Bridgewater is out for the season with a dislocated knee (torn ACL, structural damage, no arterial or nerve damage). Awful news...but not as bad it could've been given the circumstances - there were legitimate fears there would be nerve and perhaps arterial damage, which would likely be a career ender.

still could be a career ender. is too bad.  am thinking it weren't fair to bridegwater, but more than a couple sports outlets were predicting a major step forward for the young vikes qb this year.  

ah well, good luck to him.  

pre-season injuries is inevitable but is a few teams getting hit extreme hard this year.  some speculate that the reduced practices and reduced conditioning is actual a reason, but is all speculation at this point.  

heck, we even feel a bit bad for romo... though we gotta admit that when we played, we genuine were attempting to put guys in the hospital with every hit.  intimidation were a big part o' the game.  wr gets alligator arms after a couple big hits and rbs sudden is more concerned 'bout ball protection as 'posed to yac. when we did knock a guy unconscious or injure him, we would pretend to feel bad, but inside we were doing a little happy dance.

*shrug*

it is a rough sport.

• Like 1

I like puppies and football.

Kaepernick should be in town, scheduled to start Thursday. I feel like his conscience may keep him seated most of the evening.

The San Diego Chargers will celebrate the 28th Annual Salute to the Military, paying tribute to hundreds of thousands of current and retired military personnel who live and work in San Diego, when they host the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday, Sept. 1 at Qualcomm Stadium. Kickoff set for 7 p.m. PT.

Fans in attendance will enjoy pregame entertainment provided by the Marine Band San Diego along with the Frog X parachute team, featuring retired navy seals who will be leaping into Qualcomm Stadium.

The National Anthem will be performed by Petty Officer 1st Class Steven Powell from the U.S. Navy while 240 sailors, Marines and soldiers present a U.S. Super Flag and service emblems from all branches of service. Color guards from the Navy, Marine Corps and Army will present the flag.

At halftime the Chargers will recognize six Vietnam War veterans as a remembrance of the 50th anniversary of the war. The Chargers will also have wounded warriors as special guests and a patriotic fireworks show to wrap up half-time.

At the start of the third quarter, Petty officer 1st Class Steven Powell will return to the field where he will perform God Bless America.

All Stop. On Screen.

y'know, every time we get a puppy we marvel at just how long it takes to get 'em house trained.  am thinking we much prefer non-puppies.  we got older dogs that is as playful as puppies, albeit not quite as cute, but the peeing and the pooping and the wondering when it will all end makes puppies not our favorites.

am not a cat person, but it would be fantastic if dogs learned as fast as cats 'bout proper places to vacate bladders and bowels. 

not actual football 2016, but...

HA! Good Fun!

ps we did have jaw drop moments when we saw multiple articles compare kaepernick favorably to muhammad ali and jackie robinson. tough to sympathize 'bout media mistreatment.

Yeah, I prefer to get rescue animals that are of at least middling age. They're generally already trained to some degree, and really deserve just as much love as their younger brethren, too. :wub: Particularly if they didn't receive much earlier in life...

...My only regret is that they leave you sooner. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Of course, by 'puppies' I mean all dogs. Except Rottweiler puppies ... they know how and when and where to **** right out of the gate. PERIOD.

They said Bridgewater suffered a non-contact injury, but I don't understand. Branden Oliver is out for the season with the same ... they showed the replay in slo-mo and the vibration from ankle to knee was sickening but inexplicable. 

All Stop. On Screen.

These guys put their bodies through pretty extreme duress - even simply how large (height, weight, build) seems to play an effect. Their bodies are trained to take it, but sometimes, crap just breaks.

Edited by Bartimaeus