NFL 2016 Season

Gromnir

They get nothing. Bosa, on the other hand, is relatively in the clear after that. He probably won't be selected as high...but probably still somewhere in the first round.

Additionally, they're not allowed to re-select him.

The lesson here? Don't treat the overall #3 pick like crap for months on end, and then try to make up at the last second after they've already decided you're not worth playing for anymore.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Rescind the offer and lower it...BRILLIANT!

So what happens when he doesn't sign and re-enters the draft next year? Is San Diego just out of luck on that 1st round pick they spent on him or do they get an additional 1st round pick next year?

The deadline for trading him has passed (Aug 9).

The Chargers have until November 15th (Week 10) to sign him so he could play the remainder of the season.

If that doesn't occur, they can still sign him before the end of the season but he can't play.  If THAT fails, they lose his rights completely with NO compensation and Bosa re-enters the 2017 draft.

• Like 1

No compensation for SD! That's a jagged pill to swallow considering first round picks can make or break a franchise for years.

Yep.  NBA is the same way and they don't offer compensatory picks for FA losses either.  MLB offers compensatory picks for unsigned 1st or 2nd round selections and the NHL offers compensatory picks for any unsigned draft choice.   

bosa not signing with sd makes little economic sense.  sit out a year and he won't go top 3 next year. even if bosa believes the sd offer is bad, whatever deal he gets this year will be better than what he gets offered next year.  plus, money is worth more today than it is tomorrow.  the millions he earns now, invested, will already be generating considerable income over the course o' the year.  from an economics standpoint, there is no way bosa walks away from this as a winner.  he lost the best deal he were gonna get, and now he can only mitigate his losses.

'course, these kinda negotiations is rare just 'bout the economics.  am guessing that bosa would rather lose a big pile o' money than cave to sd's demands.  will be interesting to see how this plays out.

edit:

a more balanced bosa article than we is seeing at espn and elsewhere.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/08/25/whos-to-blame-for-the-chargers-joey-bosa-fiasco-everyone/

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Browns just have so very little quality depth, and some of their starters are pretty questionable, too. I can see them winning maybe a few games in the beginning of their schedule, but it's hard to see them finishing the season well (relatively speaking) after injuries have piled up on their better players.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

what the hell was that

some chiefs defensive player just like near freaking totally deliberately broke connor shaw (bears' backup QB) leg in half

that was brutal

His back has been a ticking timebomb for a few years now...although it didn't actually break in the way expected in regards to his previous injuries, so uh...maybe that's good?

Seriously? ._.

Yes, I'm dead inside as soon as football season starts

I stopped watching the NFL for a few years after cheering some random Cowboy injury. I don't want to be evil but when it comes to "America's team" I just can't help it

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

The only time I can ever seriously envisioning myself being happy that another player has been injured is when they have consistently attempted to hurt others. Brandon Meriweather, with his long history of headhunting...was headhunting Eddie Lacy in a...2013 game, I think it was, and then attempted to do so on our backup RB right after after Lacy was taken out of the game for a concussion caused by Meriweather. He ended up concussing himself instead.

Have a little empathy, man.

shady

i have faith in thee

you can be a better man

be the man you always wanted to be

or at least the man you think you should probably be, ya' psycho

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

heeeeeeeeeeeeey bosa signed

From what I'm reading, the chargers seemed to cave a little more than they did with their last best offer. Guess Bosa didn't feel like missing out on like an extra ten million dollars if he waited to get drafted next year. Fair enough - he put up a pretty good fight.

Edited by Bartimaeus

On Bosa's holdout..:

2016-8-30-ChirGuest.png

• Like 2

calling bs on the cartoon. is the signing bonus that is deferred.  heck, Gromnir got a signing bonus from our current employer, and we actual had to wait six months to get it. with sd's offer, bosa would need wait 'til january to get a lion'e share o' his signing bonus... five months from now.]

the washington post article we linked were surprising fair. can scroll back up and take a looksee.

HA!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The entire point of the comic, I feel, is about what's standard in a given industry for a given position (and accounting for specific context, such as being a top "prospect" and thus typically deserving better than lesser prospects), not necessarily about specific details across industries themselves.

Hmm, fair? Eh...regardless of its fairness, it's ultimately rather worthless, since it gave little actual specific details on the negotiating situation itself nor very much about precedent with other players, but rather more concerned itself with covering the general details and background for someone not familiar with this sort of situation or why the situation arose to begin with. The only specific details it really covered was parroting the line the Chargers PR trotted out about how it was "the highest initial signing bonus"...and then failed to mention the other major point of contention, the offset language. It also failed to mention how badly the Chargers lowballed him at the start, and how bloody long it took for them to start giving him even halfway decent offers. Instead, to counter, it really only mentioned how Bosa's agency vaguely called out the Chargers for being deceptive and misleading towards the public, and failed to provide any sort of insight on why that might be. I don't know, that doesn't seem that compelling of an argument in regards to fairness...but uh, I guess at least the tone of the article attempted to sound fair vs all the media idiots who immediately and mindlessly piled on Bosa, I suppose.

Edited by Bartimaeus