NFL 2016 Season

Gromnir

It's coincidence, but I can see why people believe in fate. Travis Benjamin and Jatavis Brown are four years apart, grew up on the same street in Florida two houses down, and now play for one NFL team. Reuniting college teammates ... Josh Lambo and Drew Kaser, kicker and punter from Texas A&M, together again professionally. Josh Perry and Joey Bosa from Ohio State and the same side of the ball, drafted by the same team in the same weekend. Maybe if you get enough positive coincidence in one room, it becomes something else, like, fate.  

All Stop. On Screen.

It's coincidence, but I can see why people believe in fate. Travis Benjamin and Jatavis Brown are four years apart, grew up on the same street in Florida two houses down, and now play for one NFL team. Reuniting college teammates ... Josh Lambo and Drew Kaser, kicker and punter from Texas A&M, together again professionally. Josh Perry and Joey Bosa from Ohio State and the same side of the ball, drafted by the same team in the same weekend. Maybe if you get enough positive coincidence in one room, it becomes something else, like, fate.  

we lived a couple doors down from a guy who played dl in the nfl for seven years... he even went to the pro bowl one year.  am feeling cheated by fate.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Eh, your brain (and its comparatively good health) would probably thank you for not being in the NFL. Your wallet, on the other hand... :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Eh, your brain (and its comparatively good health) would probably thank you for not being in the NFL. Your wallet, on the other hand... :p

our friend and former neighbor, after 7 years in the nfl and a pro bowl appearance, went broke a few years ago.  wish he woulda' talked to us. tax evasion. probation.  is not like he were a 7th round draft pick neither--top 50.

can't imagine how difficult it must be to try and convince the average nfl player, a guy who on average will be in the league less than 4 full years, is unlikely to ever get rich.   

cte scares us.  got moments when we is ashamed that we is still a nfl fan.  those moments increase every year.  

is more than a couple helmet technologies that look promising.  am particular interested in helmets that is made to be broken.  regardless, something needs to be done and sooner rather than later.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, the whole money issue still being a problem for the vast majority of players is kind of embarrassing. The health issues being hushed up for so long is pretty embarrassing. The fact that way too many of us treat this game like it's some holy ritual and act accordingly is absolutely embarrassing.

...But we're still fans.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Tomorrow I'll send a message to my non-football friend and see if he wants to go. We've been pals since seventh-grade, but, he's the responsible type with a job and a kid, and is a Lakers fan, so, chances are good it'll be just me and my Woody jersey. 

There'll be food, vendors and old-school bleachers. Great draft this year, should be exciting. Chargers Park is the team HQ, not the game stadium.

... fans will get their first look at first-round draft selection Joey Bosa and the team’s 2016 rookie class on the field at the Chargers’ Rookie Mini Camp on Saturday morning, May 14 at Chargers Park.  Select veterans also will be attending the camp. Gates open to the public at 9:15 am and admission is free.  Players hit the field at app. 10:15 am and practice concludes at 11:45 am.

All Stop. On Screen.

Its a little unclear from the Bleacher Report link but the 504 polled individuals were all Native American: ESPN link on the story.

Why do you feel its untrue?

Oh it's not that I feel it is untrue, it is that you have conflicting polls all over the place.  The folly is trying to lump all Native americans into one group in the first place, it is an incredibly diverse population.  

It also is telling how the questions are asked.  If you ask "Is it an important issue?" it is pretty easy to assume most people will say "not really."  But if you ask if they like the name, you may get very different results.   :shrugz:

• 3 weeks later...

2016-6-09-GoodellDies.png

"For about 6 minutes on a bright Tuesday afternoon, the world was a different place. A place of hope. A place of change. A place where maybe, just maybe, things might be alright. A place where players in the NFL received justified compensation for injuries. A place where wearing the wrong socks was not worth more in fines than an illegal hit to the head. A place where we didn’t have a 17 month scandal based around saggy balls. Because for those 6 minutes, Roger Goodell was dead.

For those who missed the fun, on Tuesday someone hacked the NFL twitter account and posted the tweet seen in the comic above. The internet immediately went nuts. Including myself of course.  As dumb and bad as twitter can get, it’s always entirely worth those moments when something like this happens, when you can participate in the chaos as it unfolds in real time."

Edited by Bartimaeus

He's tagged as "Intern" on the comic's website, so I guess that. :p

• 3 weeks later...

Some fun first day of summer photos from the team, by Justin Aikin.

summer_zps4xsuyhfn.png

Balboa Park, host to the 1915 Panama-California Expo

summer2_zpseh8cfjqt.png

Mount Soledad Veterans Memorial

summer3_zpsqklau5un.png

Windansea Beach, the famous surf shack, a protected historical landmark. My best pal had his wedding here.

All Stop. On Screen.

Buccaneers play the Eagles in 45 days!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I realize my foam finger infatuation can be infuriating but it's the one thing I cling to. 

Knocking on wood, even though it's a poor conductor.

Travis Benjamin was the Browns’ second-leading receiver in 2015 as he set career highs with 68 catches, 966 yards and five touchdown grabs. In September, he had a career game against Tennessee, catching touchdown passes of 50 and 60 yards, in addition to returning a punt 78 yards for another score. Benjamin joined Tavon Austin as the only players in NFL history with a 75-plus yard punt return touchdown and two 50-plus yard touchdown catches in a single game. Combined with a 54-yard touchdown catch in the Browns’ season opener against the New York Jets, Benjamin became the first player since Hall of Famer Jim Brown (1963) with four 50-plus yard touchdowns in a season’s first two games.

All Stop. On Screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Le'Veon Bell was suspended for 4 games for missing a drug test, too.

(e): https://twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/756528563273158658 + https://twitter.com/MikeLeslieWFAA/status/756526008170319872

Edited by Bartimaeus

Dennis Green passed away. What a shame!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell