NFL 2016 Season

Gromnir

Maybe he had CTE. It's not unheard of to act reckless and suicidal because of it. 

In less-sad news, a Malcom Floyd jersey came yesterday. He just retired but I love his persona more than most. Twelve years with one team, amazing. 

*or, ten years I mean, had to check

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

No, but lights on his vehicle that he was driving on a road with other other vehicles during the night that without evidently made him invisible to others would've - or simply not driving on the road with a vehicle that has no lights would've also prevented his death in this situation. I'm not sure if it's illegal to be doing what he did, but clearly, legality doesn't match up with reality even if it's not, since he's now dead as a result of a horrific accident that could've been prevented had proper safety precautions been exercised, as I said (and if everyone involved hadn't been additionally horribly unlucky). No, a helmet wouldn't have prevented the accident, but it may have prevented his death.

I am sorry, but if somebody jumps in front of my vehicle while I am driving, and gives me little to no opportunity to prevent the oncoming horrific accident because they didn't exercise proper safety precautions that would've let me seen that they were there before I was already running them over, and I end up ending their life as a result of this situation, well, it's suffice to say that I don't think there's any way you're going to convince me that the results of the situation are not perfectly explainable by that person's actions (or lack thereof) in addition to simple awful luck. In addition, I would absolutely see myself (as well as him) as the victim of bad luck AND bad decision making. That's...simple reality, my friend: there's damage for all parties involved.

'my feelz' are more important than someone else's life

Your words, not mine. You'll note that I said "either" in that sentence, the implication being that both are victims of bad luck and bad decision-making.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

not wearing a helmet, on a dirt bike with no lights, at night, wearing dark clothing, is not only more likely to cause an accident, but is more likely to result in a fatal accident.

that being said, our cousin works as an er nurse at a major midwestern hospital.  she says she is actual relieved when motorcyclists don't wear helmets, 'cause they is more likely to die at the scene o' the accident.  am guessing she has seen some particular grisly motorcycle accidents where an individual survived 'cause o' a helmet.  poor bastards.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Stepping in front of a car can cause an accident. However, wearing or not wearing a helmet will NOT prevent an accident. Very poor comparison.

Yeah, it's a good thing I didn't like, you know, mention other things being included in those safety precautions that I've stressed multiple times, like lights on his vehicle that he was driving on the road at night or anything, otherwise your argument would've totally fallen apart! :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

"not wearing a helmet, on a dirt bike with no lights, at night, wearing dark clothing, is not only more likely to cause an accident, but is more likely to result in a fatal accident."

Please explain to me how not wearing  a helmet is more likely to cause an accident than wearing one? You do know what the entire purpose of a helmet is, right? It is to help in lessening potential damage from an accident that already happens. It is not some magic shield that gives you +5% chance to avoid accidents.   It gives you protection you get in an acicdent in bump your head. It is the same goal for seatbelts. they don't prevent accidents. They help make (usuallY) accidents be less damaging. They don't magically stop your car from being hit.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

-> fatal accident

-> fatal

Yes, if you want to nitpick, I included it as part of the only "an accident". The worst of all nitpicks, if you ask me, because I included other stuff that was perfectly valid, but fine.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Supposedly super serious stadium proposal will be announced tomorrow. 

The team has eyes on a site downtown next to Petco Park and cozy with the convention center ... a holy trinity of NFL, MLB, and SD ComicCon. Financing is said to include 600M from the team and the league, with the remaining ~900M from an increase in hotel tax.

The mayor's office has vocally preferred the 'Mission Valley' option ... redeveloping the existing Qualcomm site ... so it's unclear if they plan to rebut or embrace the downtown proposal.  

All Stop. On Screen.

I don't understand why you would build a downtown football stadium? It's not going to be a boon for downtown business (only 8-10 games a year and not like there's a big market for stadium concerts). Lots of wasted prime real estate space for very little utility.

I've also always associated football games with tailgate parties. Can't do that without a ginormous parking lot.

Also, say no to publicly financed stadiums.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

They say downtown would avoid public financing and the dreaded California two-thirds vote--both required if Mission Valley were to be redeveloped. 

The convention center needs an expansion, and the proposed stadium includes facilities for that purpose. One of the news people called it a 'convadium'.  

I'd prefer not to drive thirty-five miles downtown, even as enticing as season tickets in a new venue sound. 

All Stop. On Screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Will Smith, former DE for the Saints, was shot to death today in a road rage incident.

Police statement: The 34-year-old male victim's vehicle was traveling eastbound on Sophie Wright Place when his vehicle was hit in the rear by a Hummer H2. The collision caused the victim's Mercedes G63 SUV to strike the rear of a Chevrolet Impala who was traveling along with the victim. The male victim and the driver of the Hummer exchanged words at which time the driver of the Hummer produced a handgun and shot the male victim multiple times and his 34-year-old wife twice in the right leg. The male victim was pronounced dead on the scene. The female victim was transported to the local hospital. The 30-year-old driver of the hummer is in custody and being interviewed by police. The gun used has been recovered.

That is awful. National TV news just told me local authorities are investigating a prior connection and possible first-degree murder.

Yup. Doesn't look random.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/04/will_smiths_accused_killer_set.html

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

In other news, touchbacks now allow the offense to start at the 25 yard line, not the 20 yard line. The idea is to reduce returns, which are apparently widely considered the most dangerous part of the game.

...However, many are saying that this may actually INCREASE returns, because now kickers may feel they'll be better off trying to pin it short of the end zone to gain a yardage advantage for their defense. The NFL didn't really seem to fully consider it's the kicker who generally determines whether or not there will be a return. If anything, it would've made more sense to bring it to the 15 or even 10 yard line - do that, and kickers will try to kick it beyond the end zone every time, and probably be successful most of the time. Overall, I would've preferred things stayed how the ywere.

Edited by Bartimaeus

So, is Wentz being considered the better prospect over Goff?  I honestly don't think either guy is a franchise QB, which is why I hope the Cowboys don't take a QB in the draft, even though they desperately need someone soon to replace Tony Romo, whose body is held together by formaldehyde and the hopes and prayers of Cowboys fans.  That said, I'd take Goff over Wentz.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

As I understand it, Wentz has very much impressed the teams he's met with, which is probably why his stock has risen.

So, is Wentz being considered the better prospect over Goff?  

Apparently the Eagles think so.  I think Goff got dinged by some folks at the combine for having "small hands".  

Scouts come up with the most ridiculous reasons to raise or lower someone's stock.  I personally feel teams put far too much stock in measurables (height, weight, how fast they run the 40, apparently how big their hands are, etc.) and not nearly enough stock in how players perform on a football field during games.  In my opinion, this is doubly important for QBs, since so much of that position relies on what goes on between the ears.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, is Wentz being considered the better prospect over Goff?  

Apparently the Eagles think so.  I think Goff got dinged by some folks at the combine for having "small hands".  

Scouts come up with the most ridiculous reasons to raise or lower someone's stock.  I personally feel teams put far too much stock in measurables (height, weight, how fast they run the 40, apparently how big their hands are, etc.) and not nearly enough stock in how players perform on a football field during games.  In my opinion, this is doubly important for QBs, since so much of that position relies on what goes on between the ears.

+1

Keep an eye on Connor Cook from MSU.    Somebody is going to move up to grab him. 

what goes on between the ears is just another measurable for many teams.  wonderlic scores is more important to some organizations than others.  a few teams deemed cam newton undraftable 'cause o' his history o' off-field issues as well as his terrible (for a qb) wonderlic. for wonderlic, cam is bottom two o' all nfl qbs who had at least 3 starts last year. do a search o' the off-the field nonsense surrounding cam before he were drafted and any reasonable person woulda' questioned what were going on 'tween his ears.  'course dan marino and jim kelly had even worse wonderlic scores than cam newton, and dan weren't exact a model citizen either. 

you not need to be smarty to play football.  even a qb don't need be smart.  unfortunately, all those qb intangibles that can propel a qb to collegiate stardom is as often as not wasted if a player don't have the requisite physical tools to succeed.  wanna list o' heisman qbs that busted in the nfl? intelligence, resolve, awareness, leadership, and possible dozens o' other qualities is essential for nfl qb success.  teams watch hundreds o' hours o' film on potential first round draft picks.  teams interview players and ask 'em football questions and personal questions.  "if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?" teams subject players to tests meant to gauge a player's football abilities.  vast sums o' money is spent scouting nfl draft prospects.  even so, wanna review the first round qbs from the past decade who has busted... guys who Every team in the nfl woulda' risked a first or second round pick 'pon? 

come up with the perfect formula for predicting nfl success, and you could be a rich man.  so, how many teams passed MULTIPLE times on tom brady? 

cam newton would not have been drafted very high if between ears were o' prime importance.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It makes sense with their move to LA.  They want to make a splash, pick up a QB, and give fans hope to drive ticket sales.  It's just, as I've written before, I don't think there is a franchise QB in this year's draft.  The top QBs this year are Goff, Wentz, Lynch, Cook, and Prescott.  A couple of those guys could become mid-tier starters, but I don't see a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, or even a Russel Wilson in this draft.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I mean, to be fair, nobody saw Tom Brady or Russel Wilson period, either. You make do with what the draft gives you.

...That said, it's kind of funny that the Rams are now on the "to the top" end of this sort of trade, when they were the one receiving all the picks when RG3 was being drafted.