NFL 2016 Season

Gromnir

http://www.nfl.com/combine

with the combine workouts a few days away, am thinking we need a new thread.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14825763/nfl-combine-preview-targets-positions-need-all-32-teams

added to get things going.

am most interested to see how far jaylon smith drops due to his bowl game acl, and for various reasons am curious about carson wentz.  when nfl scouts start raving 'bout a small school prospect such as wentz, one wonders how much is genuine and how much is an attempt at subterfuge.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637808/article/mayock-carson-wentzs-ceiling-similar-to-andrew-lucks

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm being told last time SD went this high in the draft, they picked Eli Manning and promptly traded him to NY for Philip Rivers. 

Which makes me think they won't attempt Wentz. They shouldn't anyway, OL ought to be priority. Maybe a WR to replace M80, if such a thing is possible.

Someday I wish the PGA would do a Combine. Imagine caddy sprints, gallery stare-downs, 100yd walks. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

No 4.71 olinemen this year. I like the feeling of terror those guys give me, much better than any scary movie.

Miserable bunch of wide receivers and tight ends this year.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

No 4.71 olinemen this year. I like the feeling of terror those guys give me, much better than any scary movie.

How about a 4.59 40 for a 270 lb DE? 

Edited by kgambit

I dunno, I found Ogbah scarier tha Tapper.

And Terron Armstead with his 4.71 has been doing pretty well of late.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I dunno, I found Ogbah scarier tha Tapper.

And Terron Armstead with his 4.71 has been doing pretty well of late.

True.  The OL times are looking pretty mediocre (so far).  

I'm glad he gets to go off into the sunset a SB champion, and not, you know, Favre-ing it up. End of an era, etc.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

According to CBS and ESPN, Peyton Manning informed the Denver Broncos on Saturday (March 5) that he is retiring.  Official announcement is Monday.

It would have been stupid for him to do anything else.  It's obvious his body was breaking down.  He got to go out Elway style, you can't do much better than that.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

According to CBS and ESPN, Peyton Manning informed the Denver Broncos on Saturday (March 5) that he is retiring.  Official announcement is Monday.

It would have been stupid for him to do anything else.  It's obvious his body was breaking down.  He got to go out Elway style, you can't do much better than that.

Always better to leave on a high note.  :) 

• Like 1

it is so difficult to repeat as super bowl champs in the fa era.  brock osweiler and danny trevathan are lost to texans and bears respectively. woulda' been tough to pay trevathan what he wanted, particularly in light o' his injury problems, but osweiler were the broncos best qb last year, and he were clear gonna start for the champs in 2016.  

one positive for the broncos is that they acquire donald stephenson who is an underrated ol.  pretty much the only way one gets caught for performance-enhancing drugs in the nfl is if the player is dumb and/or reckless. stephenson is unlikely makes same error multiple times, but you never know with these guys. regardless, is a nice pickup.

HA! Good Fun!

"but osweiler were the broncos best qb last year"

No, he wans't. Your best QB doesn't get benched in G16  in the kjiddle of throwing away the #1 seed and then sits on the bench as the 'other guy' wins the SB. And, take your silly stats and shovethem as we have elarned throughout Peyton's career - stats don't matter only SBs. Osweiler would never have led the Broncs to the SB win. PERIOD.

Good retirement Peyton. YOU. ARE. THE. BEST. PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"but osweiler were the broncos best qb last year"

No, he wans't. Your best QB doesn't get benched in G16  in the kjiddle of throwing away the #1 seed and then sits on the bench as the 'other guy' wins the SB. And, take your silly stats and shovethem as we have elarned throughout Peyton's career - stats don't matter only SBs. Osweiler would never have led the Broncs to the SB win. PERIOD.

Good retirement Peyton. YOU. ARE. THE. BEST. PERIOD.

is 'cause peyton were qb on the team that won the sb that he gets credit for leading?  the broncos defense led the broncos to a 2015-2016 sb win. perhaps you can say that kubiak led the broncos to a sb win.  peyton may have even deserved credit for leading the broncos, but not for his play at qb. peyton were, statistically, one o' the three worst starting qbs in the league last year.  statistics are an objective standard, and they very much corroborate the feelings o' most football savvy folks who watched peyton play in 2015.  peyton may have been some kinda emotional leader who helped will his team to victory, but he wasn't a very good qb.  even if you do believe that peyton were the/a cause o' the broncos success, it weren't 'cause o' his qb play that the broncos were successful.  second best broncos qb... maybe.  

oh and marino never won a super bowl.  tarkenton, fouts, kelly and moon never won a superbowl.  converse, wanna name the sb winning qbs that is never gonna make it to canton?  is more than one... or two. the sb is the ultimate goal, but is not the ultimate indicator o' talent and ability. is so many great players that were never on a sb winning team, 'cause football is a team freaking sport. lee roy selmon? barry sanders? the aforementioned dan marino? 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/peyton-manning-super-bowl-performance-worst-article-1.2524194

peyton had equal bad performances in the playoffs, and in the majority o' his 2015 regular season starts, with a couple notable exceptions, he were little better.

for current nfl players to mock peyton's 2015 efforts does indeed look like sour grapes.  peyton got a sb win and deserves credit, but he doesn't deserve credit for his actual play at qb.  team leader?  savvy self-promoter?  whatever kudos peyton deserves for 2015, it ain't gonna be related to his play at qb... save for in a couple amazing regular season games.  

am actual feeling a bit bad for the broncos d.  if not for the fact that peyton were the qb o' the 2015-2016 broncos, more folks would speak o' the broncos defensive efforts for the year with greater reverence.  the 2015 broncos d deserves a place with pittsburgh's steel curtain and the 85 bears, but somehow peyton as qb is still considered as a blessing rather than the obstacle it were.  am hopeful that in the years to come, the broncos d will finally be accorded its true place in football history, 'cause the broncos not only overcame opponents, but they survived some historical bad qb play from peyton manning.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

Osweiler would never have led the Broncs to the SB win. PERIOD.

Not to disparage Peyton's career, he's one of the greatest of all time, but let's not pretend like Peyton won SB 50 for the Broncos.  Denver won that SB in spite of Peyton, not because of him.  The defense won that SB.

As an aside, I wonder if the Broncos will take a chance on Kaepernick.  I wonder if he can be salvaged.  One thing's for sure, he needs a change of scenery.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm bummed too. All the best players in the NFL should be coming to Cleveland, and taking the league minimum. I want to at least see the Browns make the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

Also, that person buying their son a SD jersey is a traitor, and should be soundly beaten.

• Like 1

It seems like Osweiler knew he would always have to live up to the legacy of Manning, and that is a tough spot to be in.  Houston, on the other hand, hasn't really had any good QB's ever.  

When your team's best QB ever is Matt Schaub...

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I know, I feel that kinda pain. It's just, we lost our main man on roster and Benjamin kinda almost seems like he has the humility. Maybe or not. 

#M80

benjamin has deep speed.  on the negative side, he has a rather thin resume, a reconstructed knee, and hands made o' glass.  is doubtful that benjamin's signing signals the end of sd's off-season receiver moves. that being said, we actual like travis benjamin as a player, given what little we has seen from him.

also, we can't fault anybody for wanting to leave the browns organization.  the fans in cleveland deserve better.

HA! Good Fun!