So, I bought the game when it launched, but I've had zero time to play it until recently. 

There are 2 character archetypes I am interested in:

An agile monk, who forsakes weapons, using dodging, parrying, and skill to win, over broad constitution and soak. 

A dashing corsair, renown for her fencing ability, and her quick witted tongue.  This particular archetype includes the parry/riposte dueling style (one rapier or saber, and no shield).  I have read that Rogues have Riposte as a skill, but that it is terrible.  Is a chanter perhaps? or another class better suited toward this concept?

I played through the intro as a monk, but realized that a lot of the monk guides seemed to toss out all care for RP dialogue options.  I don't really like this approach as, well I don't get a lot of time, so the chances of me replaying the game are negligable, at least for quite a long time.  So basically I am looking for a build for either a monk, or a rogue.  That still satisfies dialogue checks to keep RP interesting.  I am looking to do it with characters met in the world (checking the option to build them myself is allowed however, I will not be making adventurers at the tavern.)  

I had a stat spread of something (i'm out at the moment.) close to 18 str. Something con.  16 dex, 16 perception, something int, and 16 resolve.

I seem to remember con and int being rather low.  At any rate, I was curious as to whether a build of either of those archetypes would be able to do well in Hard difficulty.  I don't particularily like dropping stats that low, but it seems to meet a lot of the dialogue checks I need to for the desired social impact in RP, and/or the deflection stat for parrying.  Is a monk with lower con, and higher resolve, awful?  Same question in regards to the pirate theme.

Also, do resolve dialogue options always make you into a brute?  I would much rather a sarcastic/dashing approach, say Dread Pirate Roberts, than an abusive its my way or the high way! type.

I doubt it needs to be stated, but I have no interest in playing a ranged rogue.  A sword in one hand, and a pistol in the other is a possibility, but it needs to be a rapier, or a saber.

I am sorry if this post comes across rather convoluted, I am in a bit of a hurry and wanted to give people time to respond by the time I get to play!

Few things. As for monks Yes a low con, high Res is very contradictory. You want to get hit on a monk to generate wounds, therefore lower deflection and higher endurance is better. For only one play through you really shouldn't stress so much about getting all of the dialogue options. Every conversation has plenty of choices and very high skill checks are not that common. You will be able to roleplay your chosen character just fine while still having good stats. A lot of people tend to go for specific stats for dialogue options on second/third/fourth etc playthroughs to get to see more choices then they saw originally.

As for your rogue idea, it will work, although not optimally. Would you consider a small shield? It would help a lot. I feel like a very small buckler still fits into a nice duelist theme and sabres are exceptional for rogues. I've toyed around with a rogue that had very high dex, per, and res and took a few defensive talents to wield a 1her and small shield. While it won't have the dmg output of a dual-wielder you will still do substantial dps with a couple of the unique sabres and actually be able to take a couple hits on hard. As this build relies much more on high deflection instead of higher DR, you could wear lighter armor to stick with your theme. If your interested I'll post a build layout for you. Not that I'm an expert by any means.....

Generally as i have seen builds with high RP pushes only tend to be a problem early game. If you keep your wits about you and are ok with struggling for a bit till mid to late act 2 / WM p2 Even on hard you can push ahead. Plus, Respec option lol. Money is easy mid game and you can change your base stats when you respec your pc or adventurers. Even a base 10 - char can win with enough push. Once you get items you can come in to your own. Just as a rogue be sure to take talents to get out of dodge lol.

Thanks for the replies!

And yeah, I don't mind her wearing a shield if I went the rogue route.  Preferably a D&D style buckler to a large shield.  I actually considered running chanter (A pirate bard!) instead of rogue for this build, since everyone said Riposte isn't worth it anyway.  I also don't really mind running it dual wield, but it would be a rapier/sabre in one hand, and a small parry dagger in the other.  This aesthetic still fits in my book as well.

And yeah, I know game mechanics wise for monks its contradictory, but theme wise it fits better for my idea of a monk character to play.  I gave it a shot and so far it is doing okay, I don't generate wounds much, but really, her auto attack has been so high so far (I'm not far!) that it hasn't matter.  Couldn't beat this bear I found though, but I have a feeling you aren't supposed to yet.

There's a buckler called Sura Supper plate that provides Retaliation (different from riposte). It would fit your theme quite well.

There is a cipher build called Backlash Beldam on this forum that relies on Cipher damage bonus and retaliation items. Rogue also have very high damage bonus, so it would work also on a rogue.

Just be sure to pick a Rogue ability called "Deep wounds" that works nicely with retaliation.

You need a bit of Resolve, and not too bad constitution for this build, but Dex, Mig and Per are always good for a rogue. Int is not so important.

A bit of armor would help. If you don't like metal armor, it might not be too bad, but a leather armor would be better than padded.

For race, as stated in Backlash Beldam guide, fire godlike would be nice but... are they allowed on a boat ??

If you wish to go Dual-wield, remember that rapiers and daggers share a weapon focus, and you can get some very good ones early in Defiance Bay.

Also, having a speed enchantment on both weapons plus two-weapon style can lower your recovery time so much you could probably leave DEX at 10 without suffering for it, specialy if you use Durgan Steel. This is important because both Sword of Daenesys, a rapier, and the march steel dagger have the speed enchantment. You don't need both to reach zero-recovery on clothes if you use durgan steel, but it is good to know your options.

EDIT: on a rogue you don't need much MIG, due to damage bonus being additive and you having sneak attack and deathblows.

DEX speeds all your actions, which is awesome for your already good damage, but as you aporoach zero-recovery on your attacks, it will loose some of its value. But don't dump it.

You will have many spare points to put on PER, which still helps dealing massive damage, and RES, the most important stat for conversations and a good one for not dying. If you lower CON and MIG a bit, you can also raise INT a little to unlock even more options.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

Well, I can tell you that I wouldn't be down for a godlike, at least for the duelist, dashing pirate.  No hats is a deal breaker.  :3

For the Backlash Beldam build you don't need to be a godlike. Every race works just fine.

There's a duelist's hat that is enchanted (the only one): The Dandy Hat of the Diseased Yak. :) It's nice and big and purple and does -1 INT and +2 RES. :)

My dualist monk from Old Vailia used that and it looked awesome with his vailian clothes and his Rapier and dagger.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Spelltongue Also is a pretty sexy rapier. Though i believe Deny has DR bypass correct? ether way you can honestly go with any weapon set up you want with a chanter and still come out laughing about it by mid-end levels. Once things spontaneously burst in to flames around you its hard not to chuckle. My Chanter is a skald and all kinds of scary now, Only upset the stat boosting Invocations dont effect the chanter. Still useful! still sad.

Side note, Dex doesnt effect chanting so you get the boost of being able to leave it at ten without much issue. Enough dex boosting items that by later your prolly have it sitting at 14. and with speed + two weapon even in decent armor (which chanters can use a very special set) you will still shred.

Edited by Ephidel

I think a rogue fits what you want to do best. Because of how damage bonuses are calculated might isn't that key of a stat for rogues. A high PER, high RES rogue that focuses on getting lots of crits can be a very strong build. Single wielding a rapier or similar will further increase your chance to crit. However if you want to go toe to toe with enemies you will want that shield or a weapon that stuns or prones or somehow disables. Even with high resilience rogues are notoriously fragile.

Well, I can tell you that I wouldn't be down for a godlike, at least for the duelist, dashing pirate.  No hats is a deal breaker.  :3

For the Backlash Beldam build you don't need to be a godlike. Every race works just fine.

There's a duelist's hat that is enchanted (the only one): The Dandy Hat of the Diseased Yak. :) It's nice and big and purple and does -1 INT and +2 RES. :)

My dualist monk from Old Vailia used that and it looked awesome with his vailian clothes and his Rapier and dagger.

That hat sounds flamboyantly fascinating!  I will have to look that build up!  Thanks for all the insight everyone!

Human is great, if you want a non-weird race.  They benefit from a higher Intellect and lower Con stats.  Really, race doesn't have much of an impact so I suggest picking the one you like the look of the best.

As for being powerful, I actually think the "conversation" stats (perception, intelligence, resolve) are generally the best stats long term anyways if you can survive act 1; I think many people place too much weight into the physical stats, because characters seem weak (and are kind of weak) at the start of the game before they unlock more abilities.  The exception is Dexterity.  I recommend keeping that high as it is more fun to not watch your character stand around doing nothing while they wait for their recovery bar to slowly refill.  That all changes half way through the game and then you don't even really notice the low might or con.  If you go with a low might and high dex, I recommend getting the "vulnerable attack" talent.  It will help your effectiveness a bunch, if you mainly use melee weapons and works best with a low MIGHT score.

I agree with others those three stats work a little better with a rogue than a monk, but I think a monk would do just fine, if played to it's stats strengths.  With a monk, I would focus on abilities that disable your enemies instead of just do raw damage, if you go with high intelligence.  Monk is easier for new or casual players since they are naturally hardy; rogues take a lot of babysitting to keep alive.  You don't "have" to generate maximum wounds to be effective.  After all, if you are rarely getting wounds, you are obviously doing well, so how is that a bad thing?  

The conversation stats are best for characters that like to "disable" their enemies with abilities instead of just dealing huge amounts of damage.  A style I think is more enjoyable if you like to be more tactical, and also one that matches the more traditional role of a rogue or monk - a class that uses their wits instead of brute force.  Something sadly lost in many modern action-RPGs.

Edited by Braven