So, I sort of want to build a character to best utilize Abydon's Hammer, for primarily RP reasons.

This has led me towards a build maxing out might, to take advantage of its (hilariously powerful) +4 might that can be stacked with helmets and such.

Because I'm the sort who min-maxes for roleplay as much as mechanics, I am being pushed into a rather specific statline. Mind that I play PotD with the story companions. I typically do just fine even with sub-optimal builds.

(Dwarf/living lands)

What I'm really here to ask about is what sort of CLASS can I take to best utilize that spread.

My first instinct is Chanter, especially with the recent buffs to Ancient/Beloved Spirits. This gives numerous continuous effects that scale on might. (damage auras AND the heal, which is way better than it used to be) The big draw of this is that there will always be two active effects making the most of the synergy at all time. While this would be underwhelming (but still quite good, honestly) in the early game with soft winds of death, it might get absolutely absurd when 'the dragon thrashed, the dragon wailed' becomes available.

At least initially, that build would require either dual hatchets or sword/board to stay alive, relying on damage chants to do the work.
I'm concerned about survival once I make the switch to the hammer, which is two handed.

Can you recommend any other classes/builds that have good synergy with extremely high might?

One consideration is that the game /seems/ to apply lash effects after all other damage modifiers are applied. I believe the strongest lash effect in the game, by some margin, is the Flames of Devotion with both upgrade talents when used by the Goldpact knights.

Vailian Fighter with maxed Intellect using Discpilined Barrage can get great AoE, duration, and accuracy for Ring of the Ancient Forge, which I think is the most usefull power of the hammer:

post-42670-0-90938500-1455842321.jpg

Given that you can't use a shield you are not going to get Deflection very high so I wouldn't leave constitution at 6, as not using that hammer in melee is a waste and going in to melee with 6 con and no shield seems foolhardy.

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 1

"Hulk Smash" variant of the Lady of Pain: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80748-buildpreview-lady-of-pain/page-5?do=findComment&comment=1777435

One thing I forgot to mention about the Hulk Smash variant in my guide (will see if I can still edit it tomorrow after work): One of your ring slots will be free so you can populate it with the ring from PX2 that gives +4 INT. With Casità Casserole, your INT goes to 16; if you solve Llengrath's fight peacefully, you get to 17 (can be 19 if you redistribute the other two points from Llengrath's talent to INT, either by taking them into account at character creation, or by respeccing.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What is this +4 int ring you speak of!!! and where is it dropped. I missed that one big time.

Anyways back on topic. Are you willing to lower the resolve. The Lady of Pain build is amazingly good for this hammer and maxing might. A fighters accuracy along with disciplined barrage and the stun will be epic.

Err if you want to build around the hammer, you want to make a critical hit party built around priest buffing for critical hits to support attack speed rogues for example, and just teching a Barbarian carnage critical build.   Barbarian swings the hammer, prone on criticial, keep swinging, keep critting, they don't get up off the floor until they gibb.  

"Hulk Smash" variant of the Lady of Pain: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80748-buildpreview-lady-of-pain/page-5?do=findComment&comment=1777435

One thing I forgot to mention about the Hulk Smash variant in my guide (will see if I can still edit it tomorrow after work): One of your ring slots will be free so you can populate it with the ring from PX2 that gives +4 INT. With Casità Casserole, your INT goes to 16; if you solve Llengrath's fight peacefully, you get to 17 (can be 19 if you redistribute the other two points from Llengrath's talent to INT, either by taking them into account at character creation, or by respeccing.)

I read the build, and I played something very similar when I did WM1. (fighter with tidefall and arquebus and apprentice sneak attack and wounding shot)

I'd rather avoid doing fighter again, though it really does suit the flexible low-con approach fairly well due to its high base stats. I had a similarly conversation optimized stat spread on that one too, though more even on the physical stats.

Yours is better, of course, but I handicap myself a bit for conversation options. (as we've established) Still handled PotD quite adequately even with story companions, though.

Err if you want to build around the hammer, you want to make a critical hit party built around priest buffing for critical hits to support attack speed rogues for example, and just teching a Barbarian carnage critical build.   Barbarian swings the hammer, prone on criticial, keep swinging, keep critting, they don't get up off the floor until they gibb.  

It is my understanding that it is meant to only affect vessels with the crit effect, and will be patched. I'd rather not abuse it in any case.

----------

I did start up a chanter and rush through as far as Caed Nua, and the might impact on Ancient Memory and Come Come is actually very noticeable.

What seems to be working nicely is going heavy armor and dual hatchets. The super low attack speed modifiers don't seem to make much of an impact on dual small weapons, and it gives some much needed deflection. While it's an interesting build, and surprisingly effective, I'm not sure I can make it work the way I'd like after the hammer comes into the picture.

Ditching the idea of my absurd stat spread for a bit of theorycrafting---

What do we make of the notion of abusing the swift-aim on the ranger with the hammer to get the maximum possible attack speed? As I mentioned earlier, I'm fairly confident of lash type effects being applied last, (IE, after damage modifiers) so absurdly high weapon damage such as the hammer will naturally fit well. Wounding Shot is tied for the second strongest lash effect in the game (with Bleak walker's fully upgraded FoD, and behind the Goldpact, but with the benefit that they don't need to sink two talents to optimize it) so I'm intrigued by the possibility of a melee ranger with the hammer. A bear might be helpful for distractions and help us ditch some con.

Edited by Cirein