Heya all guys, like the title say i want to know some things about my POTD run.

First thing first, is melee rogue (or cipher) really that unplayable on POTD? Since you can have individual Stealth now a character drops stealth when the rest of the party enter in combat?

The second thing i want to understand is when to pick such talent like Vulnerable Attack, Penetrating Shot and Savage Attack.

I really want to try to play a character that can adapt to the situation with melee and ranged capabilities (either cipher or rogue), but since you have to invest in different talent to be efficent in the damage department i want to understand if that talents are always mandatory or no.

To decide if u need them is there some tips and factor to consider? for example if a weapon have already 5 DR you have to take a DR pass talent?

Thank you all in advance, i hope someone can help me understand this mechanics!

I'm not to sure if I would take any of those talents on a rogue to be honest. Maybe towards the end once you start running out of other stuff. For your original question, yes, a melee rogue is perfectly viable on PoTd it just requires some micro managing . I'd also recommend a couple of defensive talents so you can GTFO of dodge when the mobs try to squish you. I wouldn't personally try to be good at both ranged and melee. Focus on one and keep a backup bow around just in case. Most of your abilities will still work.

As for stats focus very heavily on Dex and Perception imo. Might can be sacrificed some because of the numerous dmg mods rogue gets. Int is ok but I would prob just leave it around 10ish. You don't want to rely on your own abilities to be proccing sneak attack.

I also make sure on a rogue to always avoid talents that are per rest. I want to make sure my rogue has consistent dmg output every fight. I'm not looking to spike big only a couple times.

Also if you have a specified idea of what you want your rogue to do, that might help. They are actually quite versatile. Dual wield? 2her? 1h + Shield? All viable.

Edited by Mocker22
  • Like 1

I'm not to sure if I would take any of those talents on a rogue to be honest. Maybe towards the end once you start running out of other stuff. For your original question, yes, a melee rogue is perfectly viable on PoTd it just requires some micro managing . I'd also recommend a couple of defensive talents so you can GTFO of dodge when the mobs try to squish you. I wouldn't personally try to be good at both ranged and melee. Focus on one and keep a backup bow around just in case. Most of your abilities will still work.

As for stats focus very heavily on Dex and Perception imo. Might can be sacrificed some because of the numerous dmg mods rogue gets. Int is ok but I would prob just leave it around 10ish. You don't want to rely on your own abilities to be proccing sneak attack.

I also make sure on a rogue to always avoid talents that are per rest. I want to make sure my rogue has consistent dmg output every fight. I'm not looking to spike big only a couple times.

Thanks for the insight, but regarding those talents, if i want to pick them on other classes, what i have to consider as a factor to pick or not one of those talent?

Edited by helmino

Vulnerable attack: good with everything melee especially once you durgan refine your weapon and armor for speed. Get this talent if you have second doubts about what to pick for a melee toon. It is always a good selection.

Pen shot: same for ranged as vul attack above always take it if you have a point everything benefits from this except if you are strictly using arquebus, arbalest, or pistol on the ranged toon.

Savage attack: take it on toons with high accuracy like rogue if you want but know that there are better ways to increase your damage without sacrificing accuracy. Like apprentice sneak attack, two handed style, dual wield weapon style. It's a secondary or third string talent in the end and you can get it but only if you are running out of other more useful talents to take.

• Like 1

Vulnerable attack: good with everything melee especially once you durgan refine your weapon and armor for speed. Get this talent if you have second doubts about what to pick for a melee toon. It is always a good selection.

Pen shot: same for ranged as vul attack above always take it if you have a point everything benefits from this except if you are strictly using arquebus, arbalest, or pistol on the ranged toon.

Savage attack: take it on toons with high accuracy like rogue if you want but know that there are better ways to increase your damage without sacrificing accuracy. Like apprentice sneak attack, two handed style, dual wield weapon style. It's a secondary or third string talent in the end and you can get it but only if you are running out of other more useful talents to take.

Thanks a lot! So Picking a backup weapon with some DR like an estoc can be an idea to play him a charcter hybrid (as an example)

My primary reason for not taking either of those talents on a rogue would be that you already have a lot of damage multipliers as a rogue. You can get extremely high Hit to Crit ratio(Dirty Fighting + Vicious fighting for 20%, Dire Blessing for another 15%, Durgan Refined depending on weapon, and 10% from hearth orlan if you want) and your sneak attack bonus, if you side with to Doemenels and get Dungeon Delver talent your already at 100% crit damage. Therefore I feel like 5 DR pierce or 20% melee damage simply is not worth the penalties. Both are very good on other melee classes, especially fighter imo, who can easily overcome to negatives. Between the two I would pick vulnerable attack before savage for use on very high DR enemies like dragons if you got the extra talent. This depends a lot on your build. If you are very offensively focused then you will have the talents.

Right now I'm working on a 1h + shield melee rogue build that takes a lot of defensive talents such as Superior Deflection, Deflecting Assault, and Bear's Fortitude. It is by no means an optimized dps build but it has some flavor that I like, and will work decently to allow your rogue to have some ability to take a smack or two in melee on PotD. Also this would be a very nice build for Devil imo.

• Like 1