Won't start via steam, but the .exe still works

servantrider

Question

Attempting to start the game via steam results in the "preparing to launch..." notification popping up for a tick and then disappearing / nothing else happening. However, using the .exe in the game folder will still start the game without any issue.

What might be causing this? I've already verified game files and disabled the overlay. I'm not quite sure what else could be causing the issue.

I'm on Windows 10 if that matters.

8 answers to this question

Probably the game is failing some component check when lunching via steam and thats why it freezes. You need to install it again. Dont know if veryfying game cache will force instalation of components. You probably will have to reinstall everything from scrap but you have steam saves so it should be ok.

I didn't have steam cloud enabled, but I tried deleting some saves (now down to ~15-20 across 4 characters).

But it also didn't help me start the game from steam :(

Are there any kind of logs that this would generate if it's not even getting a chance to start?

There is an output log, but if you can't launch the game, that wont help. I found this on the Steam forums. Hopefully it will help.

"Closed out Steam. Then, go into “Program Files (x86)\Steam”, went into the properties of the Steam.exe, and clicked on the Compatibility tab. It turned out that by default the compatibility mode was set to Windows 8 for all users. I clicked on Change Settings for All Users, unchecked the “Run this Program in Compatibility mode for” option, and checked the “Run this Program as an Administrator” option. After I applied those options, and restarted Steam"